Plugin Contributions

Default Upgrade to 1.5.5 or 1.5.7b?

I am seeking advice regarding upgrading ZC 1.5.1 so that the hosting server PHP can be upgraded. It appears that my upgrade targets are either 1.5.5 or 1.5.7b. The developer that implemented custom changes to this current ZC is not available, and the only documentation is the Data Base fields and the PHP code. For example there are undocumented revisions to includes/classes/order.php to add additional fields to the orders_products table in the DB.
    My concern is if 1.5.7b can be modified the same as 1.5.5 or are there enhancements within 1.5.7b that would make it much more difficult to customize?

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Upgrade to 1.5.5 or 1.5.7b?

You always want to use the latest and greatest release.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

There are additional notifications provided in zc157b over-and-above the zc155 series that make it easier to add functionality without 'carving up' Zen Cart core files.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Stanley View Post
    My concern is if 1.5.7b can be modified the same as 1.5.5 or are there enhancements within 1.5.7b that would make it much more difficult to customize?
    I'm using a template originally designed for ZC1.3.9, modified for HTML5 responsive design added and mods doing all kinds of additional fields working with ZC1.5.7b and PHP7.4x.. Working with ZC enhancements was the easy part, getting my skills up to PHP7.4 and HTML5 was the fun part..
    Dave
    Always forward thinking... Lost my mind!

Plugin Contributions

Default WinMerge file compare Zen_orig to store

While using WinMerge to compare the Zen_orig files to Store I have found huge differences. It so confusing as in Apples to Oranges so I decided to narrow the compare down and chose page_not_found.php in the root directory of each zencart that i am using in my compare.

From Zen_orig:
    * @version $Id: page_not_found.php 3159 2006-03-11 01:35:04Z drbyte $

From store:
    * @version $Id: page_not_found.php 2742 2005-12-30 21:12:44Z wilt $

I'm confused why the version numbers above aren't matching, and what that could mean as far as the true zencart version i am trying to upgrade.

Any ideas of what i am dealing with here?

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: WinMerge file compare Zen_orig to store

If you are upgrading from 1.5.1 to 1.5.7b, there are so many changes that you would be better off to rebuild and mod rather than attempt to upgrade. Especially if you're not familiar with winmerge.

Scroll down to rebuild at this link https://www.zen-cart.com/entry.php?3...d-of-upgrading

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

To clarify what dbltoe is saying:

Use WinMerge to compare your old 1.5.1 against the original Zen Cart 1.5.1 to identify the things you've altered from the originals.
    Then use those customizations as a guide for building a new site on 1.5.7.

When comparing your own 1.5.1 you shouldn't find many differences unless you've made a lot of customizations or installed a lot of addons. Or unless you actually weren't using 1.5.1 (you can check that in the /includes/version.php file)

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Stanley View Post
    While using WinMerge to compare the Zen_orig files to Store I have found huge differences. It so confusing as in Apples to Oranges so I decided to narrow the compare down and chose page_not_found.php in the root directory of each zencart that i am using in my compare.

From Zen_orig:
    * @version $Id: page_not_found.php 3159 2006-03-11 01:35:04Z drbyte $

From store:
    * @version $Id: page_not_found.php 2742 2005-12-30 21:12:44Z wilt $

I'm confused why the version numbers above aren't matching, and what that could mean as far as the true zencart version i am trying to upgrade.

Any ideas of what i am dealing with here?

Thanks
    While it looks to me that the recommended comparison process is being followed (Zen Cart original 1.5.1 code compared to the store that is considered/thought to be 1.5.1), note that the above specific information is captured in the "comments" of code. This "code" doesn't affect how the program operates and is "intended" to help those actually reading the information. Whomever performed the install/upgrade from a previous version may have omitted updating those comments, further 1.5.1 had a few "updates" as well which would explain why the "released" version has a newer date. Seeing the relative short time period between those two comments (~3 months), one should not be overly concerned about what that relatively unimportant information says... Focus on the code that changes what is displayed, calculated and/or stored...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...