Plugin Contributions

Default Call to a member function get_template_part() on null

Zen Cart 1.5.5d
    PHP 5.6

The customer is reporting customers are having trouble checking out. Either time out errors or the site just spins. I cannot duplicate the issue, but I see this in the error logs. I don't find any reference in the forums. I don't suspect it's related to checkout, since I can place an order and not trigger any error. In browsing the site, I cannot trigger this error either.

PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function get_template_part() on null in /home/SITENAME/public_html/index.php on line 29

Line 29 is:
    $directory_array = $template->get_template_part($code_page_directory, '/^header_php/');

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Call to a member function get_template_part() on null

If calling "$template->get_template_part()" returns an error saying "Call to a member function get_template_part() on null",
    that means that the $template variable has either not been defined yet or has been unset() (ie: removed) or set to blank (null).
    This could happen if the auto-loader infrastructure doesn't load the template components (do you have new/altered code in includes/auto_loaders or /includes/init_includes directories?) due to having custom loading scripts or failures to load the usual scripts.
    Or it could be that some code you've added is resetting the $template variable to something other than the object it is expected to be.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    If calling "$template->get_template_part()" returns an error saying "Call to a member function get_template_part() on null",
    that means that the $template variable has either not been defined yet or has been unset() (ie: removed) or set to blank (null).
    This could happen if the auto-loader infrastructure doesn't load the template components (do you have new/altered code in includes/auto_loaders or /includes/init_includes directories?) due to having custom loading scripts or failures to load the usual scripts.
    Or it could be that some code you've added is resetting the $template variable to something other than the object it is expected to be.
    Thank you for the reply. It's an odd ball but I appreciate the input. Should I find any solution or specific cause, I will post back.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Might be worth checking the IP address via the logs ... in case it's initiated by something like a SE spider, or some nefarious bad actor.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.