Plugin Contributions

Default Product page layout issue in CHROME and EDGE on desktop

v1.5.5f westminster new template, using latest versions of Chrome, Edge, Firefox.

For years I have used only Firefox browser - I recently switched to Chrome as default and noticed layout issues with the product pages on desktop on a couple my sites, both v1.5.5f and westminster new template - the very same is happening using Edge browser ... see images below. There are no apparent layout issues on mobile using any of these 3 browsers.

The issue is that the description starts either between the two blocks at the top of the page, product image block and add to cart block, instead of below these blocks (as is shown in the Firefox screen shot). Because due to my ignorance until recently I had not used any other browser other than Firefox I have no idea when this issue may have first become apparent. I have not been able to determine anything specific as the cause.

Any assistance will be appreciated.
    cheers, Mike

The two sites are www.harmonyball.net.au and www.dazzlerscliponearrings.com.au

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CHROME Screenshot(1).jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	19374

Name:	CHROME Screenshot(2).jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	19375

Name:	FIREFOX Screenshot.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	19376

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Product page layout issue in CHROME and EDGE on desktop

Hm... I wonder why Chrome ignores the <br class="clearBoth"> but the fix is simple: edit your includes/templates/westminster_new/css/stylesheet.css and find
    Code:
    #productDescription {
        font-size: 110%;
    }
    Just change it to:
    Code:
    #productDescription {
        clear: both;
    }

Plugin Contributions

Always best to clean up the code first. Several mistakes can be found in the css. Stylesheet.css has a lone period on line 181 and other incorrect float calls (float:center is not correct) that may affect the browser's "seeing" the br.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by balihr View Post
    Hm... I wonder why Chrome ignores the <br class="clearBoth"> but the fix is simple: edit your includes/templates/westminster_new/css/stylesheet.css and find
    Code:
    #productDescription {
    }
    Just change it to:
    Code:
    #productDescription {
        clear: both;
    }
    Although I can't find a reference when searching with Google, the use of <br class="clearBoth"> has been problematic on Chrome and Edge/IE for many years. You can correct the use (cross-browser) by changing those occurrences to <div class="clearBoth"></div>.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks to everyone who responded, it is appreciated.

Balihr - your fix worked but interestingly not on 1 of the two sites (I did a winmerge comparison between the two and nothing showed up as different other than font size/color on some lines) - strange I know but the reported issue was random, initially some pages resolved OK, others not ???????

dbltoe - I removed the lone period at line 181 and changed float:center entries to float:left (they were associated with best sellers images)

Cindy - I wasn't sure where to add that <div class="clearBoth"></div> for cross-browser use, however what I did do was add that code to the first line of the product description of pages that continued to resolve incorrectly .... and that worked. As a temporary fix I will add that code to all product descriptions as I find issues until a better / permanent fix is forthcoming.

So the combination of everyones input has helped me greatly, again thanks.

cheers, Mike

p.s. not specific to Chrome nor Edge - on dazzlerscliponearrings.com.au the Customers Also Purchased ... shows at the bottom of the product info page as it should, however there is an enormous white space between the end of the product description and the start of Customers Aso Purchased. The page is long, i.e. has a lot of data in the LH sidebox and this no doubt is the cause - can this gap be reduced, if so how? Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by shags38 View Post
    ike

p.s. not specific to Chrome nor Edge - on dazzlerscliponearrings.com.au the Customers Also Purchased ... shows at the bottom of the product info page as it should, however there is an enormous white space between the end of the product description and the start of Customers Aso Purchased. The page is long, i.e. has a lot of data in the LH sidebox and this no doubt is the cause - can this gap be reduced, if so how? Thanks
    You're closing a div too early somewhere after the reviews section... Check the tpl_product_info_display.php and see if you can locate it, it was probably modified...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by balihr View Post
    You're closing a div too early somewhere after the reviews section... Check the tpl_product_info_display.php and see if you can locate it, it was probably modified...
    Hi Leonard - thanks for the response. I didn't find a stray </div> however using your hint I solved the problem by moving Customers Alos Purchased and Prev/Next to just below the Reviews section and above some code that I have no idea what it does - I think it may be associated with banners if used on product pages.

So now the page looks good after it loads.

I also think the issue of the product description being awry was fixed by using the suggestion from Cindy and using <div class="clearBoth"></div> where <br class="clearBoth"> was in the tpl_product_display_info.php .... to validate the fix I removed <div class="clearBoth"></div> from the product description text that I'd inserted as a temporary fix and it seems to be working.

Again thanks to everyone for your help!!

cheers, Mike