Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Customer account details not showing phone number

v1.5.7b php7.3 responsive classic template

Even though account creation forces a phone number be entered otherwise it throws a warning and does not allow the customer to complete the registration, customer details in admin/customers does not show the phone number. It appears that this was also happening in v1.5.5f according to some older customer records.

The fact that a customer created an account means that something must have been added, it is just not appearing in their details.
    Is there a configuration that I have missed? In admin/configuration/customer details there is no configure item for phone number true/false (but there is one for FAX number ??) so I do not know if that has anything to do with the phone numbers not appearing in the customer details and in turn order details.

Perplexed here (an often normal state for me).

cheers, Mike

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Customer account details not showing phone number

In configuration->minimum values, there is an entry for customer telephone number. If that is larger than 0 then the customer would be required to enter a telephone number at least as long as that value.

If however, no such phone numbers have been added while that value is greater than zero, then something is up as that should not be possible in a default store's template...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    In configuration->minimum values, there is an entry for customer telephone number. If that is larger than 0 then the customer would be required to enter a telephone number at least as long as that value.

If however, no such phone numbers have been added while that value is greater than zero, then something is up as that should not be possible in a default store's template...
    Hi MC - I get that .... and the value is set at 8 and it is such that the customer cannot complete registration without entering that phone number as explained in the original post .... customers are in fact creating accounts which means logically that they are entering phone numbers, but as stated these numbers are not reflected in their customer details - that block is blank, but all other details are there and complete.

So you are absolutely correct when you say
    then something is up as that should not be possible in a default store's template...
    That is why I posted the issue - I need some guidance as to what to look for that could be the cause? I am at a loss to figure if any plugin could have that kind of specific effect?

Any ideas?

cheers, Mike

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Not explained in your post are:
    - is this happening with absolutely every customer?
    - is it happening only for fake accounts?
    - do these customers actually have orders associated with them?
    - is this actually empty in the database? or is it just a display problem in your admin?
    - does the phone number show in the customer's own My Account screen?
    - is the phone number on their orders?
    - do you have a guest-checkout mod installed that has changed how data is collected (and therefore how it's saved)?
    - is it associated with customers you "imported" using some manual import process, or other activities you've done with your store?

In short: explain the patterns, the common-ground, to help get down to the root cause.

Yes, plugins could impact it. Files which alter/override the includes/modules/create_account.php and/or hook into any of its notifier hooks can influence it.
    Files which alter the /includes/modules/pages/*.php files for login, create_account, create_account_success, and others, are also involved.
    And of course the /admin/customers.php file which "shows" the phone number details if present.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Not explained in your post are:
    - is this happening with absolutely every customer?
    - is it happening only for fake accounts?
    - do these customers actually have orders associated with them?
    - is this actually empty in the database? or is it just a display problem in your admin?
    - does the phone number show in the customer's own My Account screen?
    - is the phone number on their orders?
    - do you have a guest-checkout mod installed that has changed how data is collected (and therefore how it's saved)?
    - is it associated with customers you "imported" using some manual import process, or other activities you've done with your store?

In short: explain the patterns, the common-ground, to help get down to the root cause.

Yes, plugins could impact it. Files which alter/override the includes/modules/create_account.php and/or hook into any of its notifier hooks can influence it.
    Files which alter the /includes/modules/pages/*.php files for login, create_account, create_account_success, and others, are also involved.
    And of course the /admin/customers.php file which "shows" the phone number details if present.
    Thanks for your response DrByte - so I began researching all the aspects in your list and went a bit further as well - the problem appears to be payment method - if a credit card is used then the phone number appears in both the customer details and in their orders and in the database against their entry - but if PayPal is the payment method then no phone numbers appear in customer details, on their orders or in the database - this appears to be consistent in the carried over customers from the v155f version and customers created since the upgrade to v157b.

So on PayPal.com I found the 'contact number on/off/required button and set it to 'required' (something I wasn't aware of until searching the forums) - I'm hopeful this will be the solution but I am puzzled as to why at create account stage, without placing an order, why PayPal would influence the customer details and database?????? Is it that a customer details record is not created until such time as that customer places their first order? ... or something else?

Thanks again for the push.

cheers,
    Mike

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by shags38 View Post
    Is there a configuration that I have missed? In admin/configuration/customer details there is no configure item for phone number true/false (but there is one for FAX number ??) so I do not know if that has anything to do with the phone numbers not appearing in the customer details and in turn order details.
    This might imply a more serious issue (I don't have the answer unfortunately), here is a shot of my ZC v1.5.7b admin screen, showing the telephone number field:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	19422
    Simon

Plugin Contributions

Did it happen with *all* paypal purchases or just a majority?

Note, if it happened with a vast majority (say for a few it didn't), then more than likely the "cause" is the absence of the setting on PayPal, noting that

when the customer uses paypal express at either the shopping cart page or on the subsequent "login" page, this bypasses the standard account creation and usually (if so set up) creates a login with an auto-generated password that is sent in a separate email to support future login.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by simon1066 View Post
    This might imply a more serious issue (I don't have the answer unfortunately), here is a shot of my ZC v1.5.7b admin screen, showing the telephone number field:

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	19422
    Thanks Simon ... that is what I expected to see so I don't know why in the upgrade that the format of this page didn't change to the current format.

cheers, Mike

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Did it happen with *all* paypal purchases or just a majority?

Note, if it happened with a vast majority (say for a few it didn't), then more than likely the "cause" is the absence of the setting on PayPal, noting that

when the customer uses paypal express at either the shopping cart page or on the subsequent "login" page, this bypasses the standard account creation and usually (if so set up) creates a login with an auto-generated password that is sent in a separate email to support future login.
    Thanks for the response MC .... good catch, it seems you could well have hit the nail on the head ... in the shopping cart I have an additional 'checkout with PayPal' button below the standard checkout button - this is a legacy from v139h days reinstated into to v155f version when in the early days OPC and 155f integration in respect to PayPal Express had an issue, so I reinstated that button at that point in time to offset that problem. I have just left it there ever since not realizing that it affected account creation and specifically 'only the phone number'.

So now that I have set my PayPal account to force the phone number to be 'required' I will see if that solves the problem - if it doesn't I will remove the checkout with PayPal button which will of course fix the issue.

So many thanks for your input.

cheers,
    Mike

Name:	Screenshot (14).jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	19429

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by shags38 View Post
    So now that I have set my PayPal account to force the phone number to be 'required' I will see if that solves the problem - if it doesn't I will remove the checkout with PayPal button which will of course fix the issue.

So many thanks for your input.

cheers,
    Mike

Name:	Screenshot (14).jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	19429
    Seriously, feel free to shoot yourself in the foot if you like... There are far better/easier ways to ensure that the phone number is entered than to force customers to go through a longer checkout process... Try to consider what is lost in the process by removing the button as compared to what is possibly not provided by keeping it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast