Plugin Contributions

Default Simplest way to replace preview images?

I am using version 1.5.5e

Over the years, I have changed the branding on my previews and several images need to be updated. Knowing there are many instances of each preview in the store, what would be the simplest way to replace older ones by newer ones?

Do I need to recreate each preview in each size and replace the files? If so, which ones, what size and where?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Simplest way to replace preview images?

What's a "preview" image?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Good questions. In some regards the answers are available at the point that such a "preview" image is visible. See, for the browser to display it, the information about the "preview" image has to be given to the browser. When that image is visible, I would expect it to be possible to right click on the image and inspect it. The file path should be a part of what is provided. It may be a relative path (images/someimage.jpg) or a direct path (http: // yoursite /images/someotherimage.gif).

To perhaps get more detailed information though, those here would need to know where to go to see what is being described as a "preview" image.

As far as replacing the image(s), generally ftp would be easiest/fastest. Size, that would depend on a number of factors as it may depend on what other image software is used on the site, how much data is to be sent, the resulting affect desired, the level of clarity, etc... Would think though may want similar to what you have or something that makes things look better based on sampling the effect.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    What's a "preview" image?
    Yes, the images for the products in question.

Like the images at the bottom here: https://creationcassel.com/store/ (and in the Specials box on the right)
    The image on top and the bottom here: https://creationcassel.com/store/ind...roducts_id=544
    Here: https://creationcassel.com/store/ind...reviews_id=346
    And the popup image that displays when you click on the image
    Last edited by CaroleAs; 19 Feb 2021 at 11:34 PM.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by CaroleAs View Post
    Yes, the images for the products in question.

Like the images at the bottom here: https://creationcassel.com/store/ (and in the Specials box on the right)
    The image on top and the bottom here: https://creationcassel.com/store/ind...roducts_id=544
    Here: https://creationcassel.com/store/ind...reviews_id=346
    And the popup image that displays when you click on the image
    Those are the primary images for products (as opposed to the "medium" and "large" versions of the images). Sometimes referred to as "thumbnails".

(I didn't catch your meaning of "preview" because I usually think of "preview" as "taking a look at something temporary before it's finalized", but those images aren't temporary.)

In your Admin, when you edit a product, you can see the current image's filename next to the "Choose File" button. If you use that "Choose File" button to select an updated file, it will upload that and replace the existing one. So, you could get the filename by looking at that page in the Admin, then on your PC set the filename for the improved/updated image to match, then "Choose File" and select the updated one on your PC, and it will replace the one on your website.
    (Note the updated image may require a "force refresh" in your browser in order to tell it to reload everything that's been cached, because images get cached for speed.)

More at: https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/images/

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you. I'll try that and come back if there is any issue.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I'll add that as mc12345678 mentioned, you could also use FTP to do the replacement of the image files, if you already know the filenames.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    I'll add that as mc12345678 mentioned, you could also use FTP to do the replacement of the image files, if you already know the filenames.
    My issue with this option is that I am afraid it won't replace all those extra thumbnails. But I will try and see if it does. If so, it will be the easiest way to go.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

"extra"?

You mean for "related products"? Those images are from actual products, so when you update those products' images that section will be updated accordingly.