Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Customer email text/format problems - $EMAIL_SALUTATION + $EMAIL_ORDER_MESSAGE_UPDATE

ZenCart 1.5.7b, PHP 7.4, Clone-a-Template 1.2.1, Edit Orders 4.5.5, Zen Colorbox 2.2.2, Image Handler 5.1.9

In the (hopefully) final stages of getting my vintage 1.5.4 cart upgraded to 1.5.7b- in test environment on a VPS have been using Mailtrap.io to make sure the emails sent from my ZC install are working properly.

The status update mails sent through ZC show "$EMAIL_SALUTATION" text instead of the word "Dear" and at the bottom of the message it shows "$EMAIL_ORDER_MESSAGE_UPDATE" text.

Spent many hours trying to resolve but no luck.

The Welcome email that a new customer receives when they sign up DOES include Dear. The Order Confirmation the buyer receives looks fine- just has their first and last name (no Dear) and there is no $EMAIL_ORDER_MESSAGE_UPDATE text at the bottom of their email. The Order Update emails all have the issue.

In MY_ADMIN/includes/languages/english.php line 585 it shows define('EMAIL_SALUTATION', 'Dear');

The test cart doesn't have a real domain name attached to it so have modified the hosts file on my PC to access the site, I don't think this would cause this issue but please someone correct me if this is wrong. Don't think I modified any of the Zen Cart files that might be related to this but it's possible.

Any advice very much appreciated.

Thanks, Ted
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Customer email text/format problems - $EMAIL_SALUTATION + $EMAIL_ORDER_MESSAGE_UP

Check against a fresh download of 1.5.7b:

email/email_template_order_status.html
    includes/functions/functions_osh_update.php
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Customer email text/format problems - $EMAIL_SALUTATION + $EMAIL_ORDER_MESSAGE_UP

Thanks for the response. I just made 100% sure both of those files are untouched/same as original 1.5.7b files. Then sent a "payment received" status update email to my test customer, unfortunately the issue remains.

Ted

Plugin Contributions

Hmm, I'm not seeing those language definitions on the storefront. I am seeing them in admin/includes/languages/english.php

Plugin Contributions

I've tried copying define('EMAIL_SALUTATION', 'Dear'); to various related files both inside and outside the ADMIN folder but doesn't make any difference. Is there a place I can add this that might fix the issue?

Plugin Contributions

I tested this issue today with a fresh download of 1.5.7b and found it worked perfectly, both when the order was updated on the order details page and when it was updated from the sidebar from the order list page.

Can you double check admin/orders.php and make sure it matches 1.5.7b?

Plugin Contributions

Made 100% sure that the MY_ADMIN/orders.php was untouched.

So it turns out the issue only occurs when I send emails from my site after selecting an Order and clicking the Edit button. If I click the Details button instead and send order update emails that way the emails are delivered error free with Dear as salutation, no apparent issues. Probably should have noticed this earlier but for the last 6 years or so only have been using Edit.

Will try to play around with the Edit Orders plug in, maybe try deleting it then reinstalling, if that doesn't work will ask for help in Edit Orders thread.

Thanks lat9 and swguy.

Ted

Plugin Contributions

I'd say just don't add comments using Edit Orders then. :) Edit Orders is for *editing* - if all you're doing is setting status use the regular built-in Order Display page.

Plugin Contributions

Successfully reproduced. This is an issue with Edit Orders. Until a fix is available, do your status updates either from the order list or from the order details page.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by swguy View Post
    I'd say just don't add comments using Edit Orders then. :) Edit Orders is for *editing* - if all you're doing is setting status use the regular built-in Order Display page.
    i agree with @swguy on this one..... however....

clearly a bug in edit_orders. if edit_orders allows you to send an email it should be formatted correctly.

around line 242 of YOUR_ADMIN/edit_orders.php, you can add:

PHP Code:
                    $html_msg['EMAIL_ORDER_UPDATE_MESSAGE'] = defined('EMAIL_ORDER_UPDATE_MESSAGE') ? constant('EMAIL_ORDER_UPDATE_MESSAGE') : '';

$html_msg['EMAIL_SALUTATION'] = EMAIL_SALUTATION
    those elements need to be defined (or removed from the html message template).

best.
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast