Plugin Contributions

Default How do I add these elements to my header?

I would like to add phone & email and some social media icons to the tpl_header.php file. Do I add these as html in this file? I was thinking about adding it as an image as opposed to text to reduce unwanted calls & emails due to bots scraping my phone & email off the site. Get too many of those dang blasted calls and emails as it is. Anyway who can help me accomplish the additions to the tpl_header? discountprintingservice.com
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    John

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How do I add these elements to my header?

I want to add this html below to the black bar at the top of my page to the right of "Home" and "Log In" and before the search box at www.discountprintingservice.com. Should this be placed in the tpl.header.php file in the NavMainWrapper div?

<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">Get a quote by email: </span><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected] m</a></strong></p>
    <p><span style="color: #ff0000;"><strong>Call us <a title="contact us 678-859-7075" href="https://www.discountprintingservice.com/index.php?main_page=contact_us">(678)859-7075</a> 8AM-10PM (EST) 7 DAYS A WEEK!</strong></span></p>
    John

Plugin Contributions

Several things I wouldn't do here and some things I would.

Is this 1.5.7? If so, under Configuration > My Store there's a spot for the store number. That will put it on the contact us page automatically.

Use of span in included HTML will bite you in the ..... when you change colors or other things elsewhere. Better practice is to wrap everything in a div with an ID of something like newDataByJohn. That way you can quickly control it in stylesheet_zcustom.css (if you don't have one, start one). That way, all your changes are in that stylesheet to be found later.

You can set up several recipients on the Contact Us page without having to expose e-mail addresses to the world. And, the built-in captcha of 1.5.7 will help too.

Code:
    href="https://www.discountprintingserviceDOTcom/index.php?main_page=contact_us"
    is like asking a customer to go out the side door and come back in the front door in order to get service. The link you're wanting to use should be an internal link.
    Code:
    href="index.php?main_page=contact_us"
    I believe that, if you check your stats, very few folks drop in on the main page.

Images in the header can create problems with responsiveness in phones and tablets.

Just keep the Contact Us visible in all modes. I think most folks are familiar with Contact Us and will look for it.

Also, remember that SEs can not "see" images you add and would need a very definitive alt tag to tell them what they are looking at.
    Last edited by dbltoe; 23 Feb 2021 at 04:45 PM.

Plugin Contributions

I have looked at various competitors of mine and they all have their phone numbers prominently displayed at the very top of their websites so their customers can see it at a glance and call for any reason. A lot of them have their email there as well. I understand about the spam bots scraping my number and email and spamming (we already get it). I thought about putting an image file there that has the phone number rather than plain text to cut down on it but they already have our numbers and have been auto dialing us for years. And do have it on the contact us page as well but the easier I can make it for a customer to pickup the phone and call us the better the chance I have of getting them to make a purchase/becoming a repeat customer. Using the div tag and css makes cense. How do I get it between the links and the search box rather than above it? Ideally I would like to put my logo up there as well and remove the white area where my logo currently is for less waste of space in header area.

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    Several things I wouldn't do here and some things I would.

Is this 1.5.7? If so, under Configuration > My Store there's a spot for the store number. That will put it on the contact us page automatically.

Use of span in included HTML will bite you in the ..... when you change colors or other things elsewhere. Better practice is to wrap everything in a div with an ID of something like newDataByJohn. That way you can quickly control it in stylesheet_zcustom.css (if you don't have one, start one). That way, all your changes are in that stylesheet to be found later.

You can set up several recipients on the Contact Us page without having to expose e-mail addresses to the world. And, the built-in captcha of 1.5.7 will help too.

Code:
    href="https://www.discountprintingserviceDOTcom/index.php?main_page=contact_us"
    is like asking a customer to go out the side door and come back in the front door in order to get service. The link you're wanting to use should be an internal link.
    Code:
    href="index.php?main_page=contact_us"
    I believe that, if you check your stats, very few folks drop in on the main page.

Images in the header can create problems with responsiveness in phones and tablets.

Just keep the Contact Us visible in all modes. I think most folks are familiar with Contact Us and will look for it.

Also, remember that SEs can not "see" images you add and would need a very definitive alt tag to tell them what they are looking at.
    John

Plugin Contributions

I was in the midst of other things and left out that, between home and search has to be left pretty much alone as it may have five or six listings and the customer's screen width (even on a desktop) may not be able to get it all in. Even now, right at 768px screen width, the search bar will wrap the button underneath the input form.

But now, you're talking about rearranging three wrappers. The headerWrapper, navMainWrapper (not necessarily "touched" but operation will certainly need to be verified in all instances), and logoWrapper will all be affected by what you are proposing.

Of course, it's yours to do with as you wish.

I'm still trying to get water to the house. This could easily turn in to a lot more coding than you think.