Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Advice regarding new template and migration

Site url: https://www.madanipropagation.com/
    ZenCart version : v1.3.9h

Server Information
    Server Host: siteground333.com (35.209.33.163) Database Host: localhost (127.0.0.1)
    Server OS: Linux 3.12.18-clouder0 Database: MySQL 5.7.32-35-log
    Server Date: 02/02/2021 13:41:28 Database Date: 02/02/2021 13:41:28
    Server Up Time: Unsupported HTTP Server: Apache
    PHP Version: 5.5.38 (Zend: 2.5.0) PHP Memory Limit: 128M PHP Safe Mode: Off
    PHP File Uploads: On Max Size: 24M POST Max Size: 32M
    Database Data Size: 67,797 kB Database Index Size: 10,352 kB

Realise we are using an old version. Anyway problems started after our hosts removed Cpanel, since then we have had endless problems.

A developer is trying to get me to go with Spotify, which would eradicate these type of issues but i prefer and am more used to ZenCart. To stay with ZenCart we are having to change the template as it is not compatible with the latest ZenCart versions. We have seen some ZenCart templates that I like elsewhere, what is the minimum criteria for it to be enabled with ZenCart. In other words which ones should I avoid.

My main question is can my existing customer data be kept or will that have to be migrated across like all my products will.

My current hosts are hosting my zencart v139h who I will remain with if I am to stay with Zencart.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Advice regarding new template and migration

Spotify ?!?
    Sent PM

Plugin Contributions

Apologies, meant to say Shopify.

Don't know what possessed mean to write spotify.

Plugin Contributions

WHEW? I thought for a minute we were going to have to read all the books into Spotify. That could have taken JUUUUUST a little time.

Will PM more while you check out my sig below.

Plugin Contributions

Shopify is outrated in most surveys by WIX.
    However, here's some lovely shots from the more popular WIX. A check of a site that said, "We're going with WIX cause it's better." A somewhat all-encompassing statement to say the least but, I checked out their site after the greatness occurred.
    Protecting the guilty, here's how the CSS worked out.
    Attachment 19453
    Then the HTML Verification.
    Attachment 19454
    And, finally, Accessibility.
    Attachment 19455
    Just doesn't happen even with ZC out of the box.

The developer is trying to get you to what THEY want to work with versus what might be best for you.
    I've seen 'em all and, occasionally there's a feature I would like to have but, never enough to make me change.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    Shopify is outrated in most surveys by WIX.
    However, here's some lovely shots from the more popular WIX. A check of a site that said, "We're going with WIX cause it's better." A somewhat all-encompassing statement to say the least but, I checked out their site after the greatness occurred.
    Protecting the guilty, here's how the CSS worked out.
    Attachment 19453
    Then the HTML Verification.
    Attachment 19454
    And, finally, Accessibility.
    Attachment 19455
    Just doesn't happen even with ZC out of the box.

The developer is trying to get you to what THEY want to work with versus what might be best for you.
    I've seen 'em all and, occasionally there's a feature I would like to have but, never enough to make me change.
    man i am always hesitant....

the OP wants info on shopify v ZC. and now you say WIX is higher rated than shopify, and lets see how bad wix is.

did i miss something? what does that have to do with the OP's question? or for my own info, who says wix is better than shopify?

i buy a bunch of stuff on-line at shopify sites. they do a pretty good job. i can't remember the last time i actually looked at a cart and saw that it was wix. i get it 1 data point, but still...

lets get back to the OP. i can give you some thoughts:

• cpanel has little to do with ZC. why you tie those things together, i am not sure, but your problems probably have nothing to do with cpanel.
    • if you hosts removed cpanel, and then you had problems, why are you tied to them?
    • template selection is fraught with potential for problems. chose carefully. some of the templates for sale look great, but are rarely as up to date as they say they are.
    • with regards to your migration question, if you stay with ZC, no problem. if you move to another platform, it will be up to your developer to determine what can come across, and what will need to start from scratch.
    • i am a fan of using a developer who you trust.
    • if you want to stay with ZC, the most actively maintained template is here: https://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=2191. mind you i have not used it, but i am a fan of the people who are maintaining it.
    • your existing template can be worked on to get it up to date to latest version of ZC, but again, i'm guessing you will need help from someone to do that.

changing platforms is a HUGE decision and not one to be taken lightly.

wish you the best in whatever you may choose to do.
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Plugin Contributions

Sorry left some of the PMing out of the online.

Covered that and more in the PM

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mgk View Post
    My main question is can my existing customer data be kept or will that have to be migrated across like all my products will.
    The way this reads as if the method to retain the product information is "difficult" and that for some reason the method to then keep the customer information will be "difficult"...

So, a little unfortunate for me to say, yes the customers would be kept by upgrading the database just like upgrading the product information... Thing is, basically the process can be relatively seemless if not at least with minimal pain... Not going to say that there will never be a hiccup, but if it doesn't happen easily the first time, there is a reason that can be worked out... How/why? By doing the upgrade independent of your live running store... If you haven't been schooled by dbltoe on this process yet, just wait, he will inform you in one way or another I'm sure.

Again, the database upgrade process really is not as tortuous as it is made to appear above... Please do so though as soon as you can for the sake of your customers...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    If you haven't been schooled by dbltoe on this process yet, just wait, he will inform you in one way or another I'm sure.
    Posts 2, 4, and 7 mentioned that I was discussing through PM per forum rules. Should have mentioned it in #5 but, yes, I was giving advice. Just doing so in conjunction with explaining our services which I'm not supposed to do here.
    The OP did not catch my sig so I pointed it (and his many options) out in a PM.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for taking the trouble to respond.

cpanel has little to do with ZC. why you tie those things together, i am not sure, but your problems probably have nothing to do with cpanel. After our current host removed CPanel for exchange for Sitetools our problems started. Payment notifications stopped. When we edit a product listing from the admin all the text disappears. Writing more than a couple of lines in email from the admin,removes all the email text content. So although we can take orders, we don't know what exactly has been ordered. Basically we are not upto date using an old version of Zen Cart because our php edition is also quite ancient.

if you hosts removed cpanel, and then you had problems, why are you tied to them? This is what we are contemplating. We want to stick with Zencart preferably with a newer template.

template selection is fraught with potential for problems. chose carefully. some of the templates for sale look great, but are rarely as up to date as they say they are. Agree, this is where we need advice.

with regards to your migration question, if you stay with ZC, no problem. if you move to another platform, it will be up to your developer to determine what can come across, and what will need to start from scratch. So let me clarify, if i choose to stay with zencart but with another host, or with a newer Zencart template, migration is straightforward, meaning that my 6000 products can be reinstalled easily into similar categories and sub-categories?

Also what if I go with a new host and a new Zencart template, can migration be possible, that is rebuild the same structure, same categories and products to my existing zencart template?

i am a fan of using a developer who you trust. That is the 6 million dollar question, without getting ripped off, or forced or talked into something that you would regret later?

if you want to stay with ZC, the most actively maintained template is here: https://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=2191. mind you i have not used it, but i am a fan of the people who are maintaining it. Is there anyway this can be previewed without downloading it ?

your existing template can be worked on to get it up to date to latest version of ZC, but again, i'm guessing you will need help from someone to do that. Most definetely

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast