Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

link problem Random Digital Product Download Fails

Server OS: Linux 3.10.0-1127.el7.centos.plus.x86_64
    Server Date: 03/02/2021 21:35:49
    Server Up Time: 21:35:49 up 73 days, 23:26,
    0 users,
    load average: 0.11, 0.15, 0.19
    HTTP Server: ApachePHP Version: 7.3.27 (Zend: 3.3.27)
    PHP File Uploads: On
    Upload Max Size: 8M
    PHP Memory Limit: 256M
    POST Max Size: 10M
    Database Engine: MySQL 5.7.33
    Database Host: localhost (127.0.0.1)
    Database Date: 03/02/2021 21:35:49
    Database Data Size: 2,367 kB
    Database Index Size: 1,310 kB
    MySQL Slow Query
    Log Status: On
    MySQL Slow Query
    MySQL Mode: STRICT_TRANS_TABLES, NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION

Zen Cart 1.5.7b
    Database Patch Level: 1.5.7
    v1.5.7 [2020-09-17 19:11:32] (Version Update 1.5.6->1.5.7)
    v1.5.6c [2020-09-17 19:11:31] (Version Update 1.5.5->1.5.6c)
    v1.5.5a [2016-05-20 08:41:26] (New Installation-v155a)
    v1.5.5a [2016-05-20 08:41:26] (New Installation-v155a)

Zen Cart documentation: Server Requirements

PHP logo
    PHP Version 7.3.27
    Build Date Feb 23 2021 20:42:31
    no debug logs to share.

I use FileZilla for uploading new versions after I do everything in a local folder on my PC to merge and do a file compare.

This is a very basic low level, small store for selling copies of old machine manuals. So I keep it as "plain Jane" as I can to make updates easier.

==================================================
    So I have this site that has been up a long time with the same datafiles for sale and no plug-ins, etc. I do have a theme installed but everything has been working just fine for a long time despite the updates over time until recently.

I've started getting random users complaining that they purchase a document and see the link to download but when they click the link no download starts. Their words are "I don't get the pop-up that my file is downloading." This is not happening to every person. About 2 out of 5 of late I would say. When I go into the admin section to look at the status of their order everything appears as it should except the download count has expired and so the status of being able to download is now yellow meaning the link is no longer valid to the customer. I set these to 7 days or 5 downloads. When a user is successful in getting their download this counter is typically sitting at 4 or 3 and eventually the 7 days runs out. But with every single failed download the download counter is at zero.

Has anyone else reported or experienced this issue? I'm betting it's some new browser security thing or PHP thing that is causing the issue with just certain browsers or browser versions. But it's really not acceptable and needs to be discovered and fixed. I'm lucky in that I only have to deal with this problem a couple times a week because our sales are not more than 4 or 5 in a week.

Any help or insight to what to do about this would be appreciated. I've played with different PHP versions on the server, I've updated to the most recent version of ZC, I've scoured The Internet to see if anyone else is talking about this. And I'm just not finding any answers.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Random Digital Product Download Fails

One of the more "recent" issues has surrounded the use (or absence of use) of https: for the site and the associated browser rejecting the ability to download the file(s). It's been a few months, but I thought there was some other aspect with the "current" (then current?) download configuration... Argh, aggravating to know that there was discussion even in the forum about the issue and not to be able to remember the resolution.

Perhaps if you have access to the server logs and associated time/dates of the issues could identify what browser was being used? It was previously Chrome that was being discussed predominantly...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

link problem Re: Random Digital Product Download Fails

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    One of the more "recent" issues has surrounded the use (or absence of use) of https: for the site and the associated browser rejecting the ability to download the file(s). It's been a few months, but I thought there was some other aspect with the "current" (then current?) download configuration... Argh, aggravating to know that there was discussion even in the forum about the issue and not to be able to remember the resolution.

Perhaps if you have access to the server logs and associated time/dates of the issues could identify what browser was being used? It was previously Chrome that was being discussed predominantly...

OOOOooooo!!! that is brilliant thinking! I had not even thought about SSL being the issue. Next chance I get to have a look I'll do just that. I am forcing all visitors to SSL on that site, but perhaps the download process is not coming from the ssl side of the world and that is causing the browser to disregard the downloads. hmmm. very good. Thank You. I'll report back here after I do some research.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lynbor View Post
    OOOOooooo!!! that is brilliant thinking! I had not even thought about SSL being the issue. Next chance I get to have a look I'll do just that. I am forcing all visitors to SSL on that site, but perhaps the download process is not coming from the ssl side of the world and that is causing the browser to disregard the downloads. hmmm. very good. Thank You. I'll report back here after I do some research.
    When you say "forcing", can you elaborate on what has been done to force SSL? It very well could be that not enough has been done to accomplish that.

(Do so when you get the chance.) :)
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    When you say "forcing", can you elaborate on what has been done to force SSL? It very well could be that not enough has been done to accomplish that.

(Do so when you get the chance.) :)
    In cpanel there is an option to "force" all visitors to use SSL (HTTPS://) which I have turned on. And I'll add that it didn't matter if this was on or off, the problem still exists.

Some new info has come to light. The problem appears to be a Google Chrome Browser issue. If a user complains and I have them use the MS Edge Browser it all works as it should. But when they attempt with Google Chrome the link appears but the only thing that happens when they click the link to download is the download counter changes and they have one less download available to them. (and why is it that everyone uses every single possible download attempt before they ask for help?)

So it must be some kind of security thing with Chrome I'm guessing. The weird thing is I can download with chrome from my home workstation with no problem. So I'm not so sure it's a "built in" chrome issue. Perhaps some 3rd party browser add-on??

And if it was a chrome setting it should come up with a warning about downloading something you shouldn't or that is suspicious instead of doing nothing at all.

It is very annoying that several times a week I have to help people who can't download their purchase from my website.

Plugin Contributions

So this is what is happening I THINK.

Excerpt from Article at https://www.ghacks.net/2020/10/08/ch...s-here-is-why/
    If you have upgraded the Google Chrome browser to version 86, released on October 6, 2020, you may have noticed that some file downloads don't work anymore in the browser. You click on the download link and nothing happens. Chrome does not display a notification and there is virtually no information that explains what is happening, or not happening in this case. A check of the downloads page of the browser does not even list the file.

The fact that nothing happens can be confusing to users, as the expectation is that the download should begin after clicking on the link.

Google announced in early 2020 that it will block content that is served via the insecure HTTP if the originating page uses HTTPS. The company decided to roll out the feature gradually by adding more and more file types to the blocklist. Executable files, e.g. .exe or .bat, are the first file types to be blocked, and the release of Chrome 86 put that block in place. Future versions of Chrome will block non-executable file types such as PDF, ZIP, or JPG files.

There is only one option to find out if a download is blocked in Chrome, or if it is an unrelated problem, e.g. a server issue.

Select Menu > More Tools > Developer Tools.
    Switch to Console in the Developer Tools interface.
    Chrome displays a red "Mixed Content" warning for downloads that it blocks. It displays "The site at HTTPS* was loaded over a secure connection, but the file at HTTP* was redirected through an insecure connection. This file should be served over HTTPS. This download has been blocked.
    In Cpanel, I have this site set to "force" all visitors to HTTPS. But for some reason unknown to me it seems the zen-Cart digital downloading process is serving the PDF files via HTTP. Does anyone know if this may be could be the case? The quoted article above is a perfect description of what the end user is experiencing and it is only affecting Chrome browser users.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lynbor View Post
    So this is what is happening I THINK.

In Cpanel, I have this site set to "force" all visitors to HTTPS. But for some reason unknown to me it seems the zen-Cart digital downloading process is serving the PDF files via HTTP. Does anyone know if this may be could be the case? The quoted article above is a perfect description of what the end user is experiencing and it is only affecting Chrome browser users.
    Have your /admin/includes/configure.php and /includes/configure.php also been updated to support SSL-all-the-time? That is, all the HTTP_SERVER-related settings start with https:// just like their HTTPS_SERVER equivalents?

Plugin Contributions

If you go to Admin > Configuration > Attribute Settings, are you using Download by Redirect?
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lat9 View Post
    Have your /admin/includes/configure.php and /includes/configure.php also been updated to support SSL-all-the-time? That is, all the HTTP_SERVER-related settings start with https:// just like their HTTPS_SERVER equivalents?
    That is a no, but I will be doing that now in hopes that it will resolve the issue.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by swguy View Post
    If you go to Admin > Configuration > Attribute Settings, are you using Download by Redirect?
    Yes, Download by Redirect is TRUE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast