Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: No upgrade option 157c

Suggestion for next time: explain with more information what the landscape is.
    I'm still not clear on several things:
    - whether you were starting with a v157 database or a v156c database
    - whether you were aiming to upgrade from v157a to v157c or some other combination
    - or why you felt like a complete new set of files was needed, particularly if you're upgrading between v157* versions.

When you created your post you said you're using v157 (eg: you selected "I'm currently using v157" and then added a title "No upgrade to v157c"). This suggests that you're not upgrading from prior-to-v157.
    And, the fact that zc_install is reporting that "database is current, no upgrade required" also suggests you're using v157/v157a/v157b.
    Thus, I'm unsurprised that no database-upgrade option was offered, since none is needed between v157/v157a/v157b/v157c.

So, I'm still confused about what you were upgrading "from".

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I too am completely confused. The image in the first post (which I overlooked until DrByte pointed it out) said "Your database appears to be current," so why would you *expect* an Upgrade option?
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

OK, I can own that my typed words could have been confusing.

I was expecting to see screens associated with a new install. Being presented with the screen that I pasted was unexpected so I decided to create this post instead of progressing otherwise. Too many times people seem to willynilly take off on their own path to be told in words taken to mean "you dummy, why didn't you ask here first" So below is my process.

The first thing creating a new thread is to select a zencart version. Since I received a current database message, I selected 157.

It is an installation in my sandbox dated 6/25/2020 which was abandoned due to bug frustration.

I unzipped the 157c to the server after deleting the file folders mentioned so that there would not be any remnant files that might have been deleted between the 157 which was installed and the 157c version that I was getting ready to unzip. That's much easier and less chance of missing a file deletion.

I unzipped the 157c files. I ran zc_install. The only option presented was to wipe the database. Nothing else. Since I had deleted the includes folder and admin folder with all beneath it, I expected a typical, from scratch, install because all previous folders were deleted and configure files should need to be populated with proper info.

Seeing the only option being to delete the database was not expected. Hindsight, I should have just gone with wiping the data option instead of coming here with a question.

Looking at the server now, I can see the original configure file, not sure why it was not deleted with the rest of the includes folder but I had no reason to go muddling around after deleting all the important folders which might have had files deleted in the 157c version. configure.php permissions are 644

I can now see a default admin folder. admin/includes/configure file is blank, zero, nada with permissions 644

Having a includes/configure.php with data and an admin/includes/configure.php blank is probably why a database was detected and why there is a 403 error.

I avoid upgrades because it seems as though every upgrade has something changed that affects previous functionality and I spend more time tracking down what someone changed to 'improve' things when the expectation was it worked fine before but why not now. Read the change file lists and other docs and find nothing about someone mucked around with this area and changed things, so some features may not function as they have in the past. attributes from 154 to 156c is an example. Oh, download button not appearing due to upgrade installation being in a subfolder was another wild goose chase which I ended up abandoning my sandbox in a subfolder due to that. Thank God, there was Cindy's dbio to correct things once figured out.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com
    aka: ChainWeavers (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

I can't help but feeling your method of upgrade is like taking careful aim and shooting yourself in the foot.

There are many files in other than the includes admin folders that have been changed in the 1.5.7 series. Choosing to arbitrarily remove one directory and not another is just asking for trouble IMHO.

I've often wondered why one would even consider using older version files in an upgrade. I'm speaking of an upgrade from 1.5.6c to 1.5.7c versus 1.5.7a to 1.5.7c.

If the current version of your store is running, why touch it at all during upgrade? You can move to a newer version with a test site and take your time making it right.

If the current version of your store is NOT running, the variables and time constraints change BUT, I still would not involve the old files. Especially from a broken cart.

We know we are going to use the database but, other than images in our folders and defined pages, there's little need to have or use the old site's files.

Someone once said adapters won't and shortcuts aren't. I think this is a definite example of the later.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    I can't help but feeling your method of upgrade is like taking careful aim and shooting yourself in the foot.

There are many files in other than the includes admin folders that have been changed in the 1.5.7 series. Choosing to arbitrarily remove one directory and not another is just asking for trouble IMHO.
    I deleted folders which contain everything other than images, downloads, pub. Don't think those folders contain needed files. I don't think that qualifies as arbitrary.

I've often wondered why one would even consider using older version files in an upgrade. I'm speaking of an upgrade from 1.5.6c to 1.5.7c versus 1.5.7a to 1.5.7c.
    Not sure where you get that I am wanting or considering using older version of files, except my current images and pdf download files.

If the current version of your store is running, why touch it at all during upgrade? You can move to a newer version with a test site and take your time making it right.
    I guess my version of the word 'Sandbox' is different than yours. I have different hosting accounts that I use for my sandboxes. I learned years ago that there is a chance to foul things up with a live site when mucking around in a sandbox on the same server account.

If the current version of your store is NOT running, the variables and time constraints change BUT, I still would not involve the old files. Especially from a broken cart.

We know we are going to use the database but, other than images in our folders and defined pages, there's little need to have or use the old site's files.
    Someone once said adapters won't and shortcuts aren't. I think this is a definite example of the later.
    I think I said I was expecting to see the first screen associated with a new install not an upgrade. I did not expect to see a "Database is Current" message since I had deleted the admin directory and all inside and also the includes directory and all inside. Given that, the assumption was that both configure.php files were deleted. Since that didn't happen, I asked a question.

I didn't say I was trying to shortcut the install, unless saving images and download files so they would be present when I imported the db backup from the current Live site AFTER checking basic functionality on the new install.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com
    aka: ChainWeavers (dot) com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12