Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default ZX Order Review [Support Thread]

Product reviews are incredibly important nowadays and people love reading reviews left by other users before they decide to purchase an item online. Sadly, Zen Cart's review system is quite bad and relies on customers' (extremely) good will to write a review - one needs to log in, find the product they purchased and then write a review which by default can't be shorter than 50 characters. If they purchased multiple products, they need to find each and every item they want to review and write that short novel. And no, the website will not request a review - the customer is expected to remember to do it on their own. As a result, almost nobody writes reviews...

This plugin tries to make things as simple as possible. First, you decide how many days need to pass after an order is placed, and you decide which order statuses qualify for the email to be sent (ie. Delivered) and let the plugin do it's magic. An automated task is set in cPanel (cron job) which runs every day and checks which orders qualify for the reminder. An email is then sent to the customer with a few words and a direct link to your site, specifically to a new page where they can rate and review all items in their order, all in one go, without the need to login.

Once the customer reviews what they want, admin receives a notification email (if enabled in admin) and is able to approve the review(s) just as usual.

The plugin also allows you to specify a list of products that will never be asked to review - just in case you have any such products.

Download: https://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=2307
    or from my website.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: ZX Order Review [Support Thread]

Where is the admin page that gives me the manual ability to choose who and when I email?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by charmlt View Post
    Where is the admin page that gives me the manual ability to choose who and when I email?
    There isn't. The whole point of the module is to make it fully automated, so it doesn't have an admin page for you to hand-pick the recipients. If someone places an order and the order qualifies for a review (status and days), an email is sent asking for a review. That's it, end of story.

Plugin Contributions

This sounds great! I like the idea of a page with multiple items to review on it. I have a modified template and recently for some reason it no longer lets customers review as there must be something blocking it. I was wondering if there was a way with this module to manually access an url to view the layout for testing purposes? E.g from a test account to view how it looks. I tried accessing by putting 'order_review' at the end of website url but it navigates to website home page, so I guess it just works via cron and session id.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by HeathenMagic View Post
    This sounds great! I like the idea of a page with multiple items to review on it. I have a modified template and recently for some reason it no longer lets customers review as there must be something blocking it. I was wondering if there was a way with this module to manually access an url to view the layout for testing purposes? E.g from a test account to view how it looks. I tried accessing by putting 'order_review' at the end of website url but it navigates to website home page, so I guess it just works via cron and session id.
    No, you can't access the order_review page directly. If you could, that would mean anyone could access it without authorization. The plugin generates a unique 32 character token which is basically a key to access that page. The token is generated at the time of placing the order and is stored in order_review database table. What you could do is place a test order, then use phpMyAdmin and go to order_review table and copy the token associated with your order ID, and then access the review page like YOU_DOMAIN/index.php?main_page=order_review&token=YOUR_TOKEN
    Keep in mind that won't change the "notified" column so you'd still receive an automated email when/if your order qualifies, and of course, if you've configured your cron job.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by balihr View Post
    No, you can't access the order_review page directly. If you could, that would mean anyone could access it without authorization. The plugin generates a unique 32 character token which is basically a key to access that page. The token is generated at the time of placing the order and is stored in order_review database table. What you could do is place a test order, then use phpMyAdmin and go to order_review table and copy the token associated with your order ID, and then access the review page like YOU_DOMAIN/index.php?main_page=order_review&token=YOUR_TOKEN
    Keep in mind that won't change the "notified" column so you'd still receive an automated email when/if your order qualifies, and of course, if you've configured your cron job.
    Thanks for your reply. Yes I thought perhaps it is that way, but appreciate the heads up regarding the token for test purposes. I might try that.

I am not sure if the present issue with my stock zencart review page may be the same with your module. I have some modules and CSS Loader you see. Apparently it has something to do with the following:-

"error: "Missing the ajax controller”" when pressing write_review_submit button.
    But I can give your module a go and see how it goes, thanks again :-)

Plugin Contributions

Hi Leonard,

Great plugin mate - love the way you think beyond the square!! So I can see that in defines the wording of the email can be customised which is great, I assume %s in the text inserts the shop name from configuration/MyStore - I also assume the email header image is the site logo image at includes/templates/my_template/images/logo ?

Doing this manually up till now meant putting a sold out item back into stock as zero qty to allow a review to be written (reviews cannot be written if item is out of stock - an issue when you have a lot of one off unique items) - in the case of this plugin if the item has subsequently become sold out can a review still be left?

cheers,
    Mike
    Last edited by shags38; 10 Jun 2021 at 12:59 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Hi Leonard, me again! - so pardon my ignorance but what does this setting in admin/configuration mean?
    'Order Status - Comma-separated list of Order Status IDs required to send the reminder.' .... are these the payment processing, payment confirmation, shipping confirmation etc - is there a need to change setting from 3 to anything different?

cheers, Mike

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by shags38 View Post
    Hi Leonard,

Great plugin mate - love the way you think beyond the square!! So I can see that in defines the wording of the email can be customised which is great, I assume %s in the text inserts the shop name from configuration/MyStore - I also assume the email header image is the site logo image at includes/templates/my_template/images/logo ?
    It's using the standard email template (just like the checkout email, welcome email etc) so you decide which logo is used. That's usually in includes/languages/english/email_extras.php (EMAIL_LOGO_FILENAME)

Doing this manually up till now meant putting a sold out item back into stock as zero qty to allow a review to be written (reviews cannot be written if item is out of stock - an issue when you have a lot of one off unique items) - in the case of this plugin if the item has subsequently become sold out can a review still be left?
    This plugin doesn't care if an item is sold out or not - customer is still invited to review it and can leave a review. However, you'll need to make other changes to your site if you want to show reviews for disabled items. But, if I'm not mistaken, out of stock items will display reviews just fine, it's only disabled items that don't.

Hi Leonard, me again! - so pardon my ignorance but what does this setting in admin/configuration mean?
    'Order Status - Comma-separated list of Order Status IDs required to send the reminder.' .... are these the payment processing, payment confirmation, shipping confirmation etc - is there a need to change setting from 3 to anything different?
    It's what you have under admin->Localization->Orders Status. It means you can define all the statuses that will qualify an order for a review. You don't want to ask for a product review if the customer still hasn't received it - you might end up with a rating of 1 and a comment like "still haven't received it, how can I review it". Now, the list is because you might have multiple statuses that would qualify, ie "Delivered", "Collected" and "Delivered by Courier" - different statuses that basically all mean the same thing.
    So, to summarize - the review reminder email will not be sent until both conditions are met - days after order was placed AND order must have on of the statuses listed. Hope it makes sense. If not, just ask.

Plugin Contributions

Just cross-replying since this answer might make more sense in this thread...

One quick question - if a customer purchased 5 or more products can they simply review 1 or 2 and it still work? - up until now I have been sending emails to customers with links to each of the products write-a-review page but make comment that the customer could do as few or as many as they felt like with no obligation to do all of them if they they didn't want to (the daunting task syndrome).
    Yes, the customer receives an email with an invitation to review products they purchased - it's a link to a new page on your site where they will be able to see all products from that one order and they'll be able to review/rate all at once, or just the products they want to review. So, if a customer purchased 5 products, he/she can review one, two or all five, it's up to them. And the link stays valid for them to revisit later if they decide to review the rest afterwards.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast