Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default SMTP email stopped working - getting SMTP Connected Failed

Hi

We have been on 157b (Linux) since January and emails were going out for orders and forgot passwords worked fine until March 31, 2021. Last good email was at 12:43 PM Eastern and started failing on 4:18 PM. Client called at 4:18 and could not get a forgot password email. I tried to go into phpMyAdmin to look at the tables and couldn't get in for about 3-4 attempts. Finally did. Database looked ok.

Customer received the forgot pw email but the from address has a number he said looked like an ip#. I don't have it to share.

Ever since then no emails were delivered from Zen. The log folder was getting SMTP Connect Failed messages with no additional information.

I tried SMTP, SMTPAUth and always get the same results. (PHPMailer does work but get a warning file for each email). Changed the port (25, 587), email server and always get the same error even with host support advising what to put in.

Host support says it is a zen coding issue. But we didn't change anything since January so really doubt it is a coding issue.

I am not even sure where to begin looking or how to assist with host support to find the real error. I don't think it is zen.

How can I get this resolved? Any help is appreciated!!!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: SMTP email stopped working - getting SMTP Connected Failed

Who's your webhost?

Plugin Contributions

Here's what happened to us recently. We were having lots of phishing hackers trying to drop files. In an effort to increase security, we upped the strength required on passwords.

In some e-mail accounts, the fact that the existing password did not meet the required strength stopped outgoing mail until the password was changed to meet the new requirement.

If you have cPanel, just go to the e-mail section, click on Email Accounts, and click on Manage next to the one not working. If you type in your current password as the new password (without submitting it), it will tell you if the current password is sufficient. If it is not, just generate a new one and apply it.

Be sure to update the password everywhere you have software accessing your mail.

BTW, one of the folks it caught was me.

Plugin Contributions

We have been on NewTek hosting for this site and the previous for about 10 years from when it was called CrystalTech.

Plugin Contributions

We have no email accounts in the cPanel email section. All email accounts are via SmarterMail.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by QuickBooksDev View Post
    I tried to go into phpMyAdmin to look at the tables and couldn't get in for about 3-4 attempts. Finally did.
    Sounds like a hosting company issue.

Customer received the forgot pw email but the from address has a number he said looked like an ip#.
    Odd. Maybe the hosting company's email system is having issues.

Ever since then no emails were delivered from Zen. The log folder was getting SMTP Connect Failed messages with no additional information.
    "with no additional information" ... that's normal because there typically isn't any additional information available.

I tried SMTP, SMTPAUth and always get the same results. (PHPMailer does work but get a warning file for each email).
    You didn't say what warning you're getting. I'm assuming it's just "SMTP connect failed", but you didn't say.

Host support says it is a zen coding issue. But we didn't change anything since January so really doubt it is a coding issue.
    I agree with you.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

At a raw technical level, if you're using SMTPAUTH mode, you could temporarily make this edit:

/includes/classes/vendors/PHPMailer/src/SMTP.php

Change:
    Code:
        public $do_debug = self::DEBUG_OFF;
    to:
    Code:
        public $do_debug = self::DEBUG_CONNECTION;

YOU DO NOT WANT THIS SET WHEN IN NORMAL PRODUCTION MODE!!!!!! But for temporary troubleshooting, it's fine.

Then send a test email.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

The hosting company is refusing to say it is their problem. They recently uploaded a phpMailer script that says works with Zen but it has different names (class.phpMailer.php) than what is in the Zen folders (phpMailer.php). It even says php 5.0 and the one in Zen says php 5.5. I don't even know how to implement it or if I should.

When I set zen to use PHP as the transport it generates a warning log with
    --> PHP Warning: escapeshellcmd() has been disabled for security reasons
    on each email.

Just don't know where to go from here.

Plugin Contributions

Will try the debug on next.

Plugin Contributions

I put in
    public $SMTPDebug = SMTP:EBUG_CONNECTION; // was 0
    into phpMailer.php. There was no Public $do_debug.
    Same results.
    Where do these logs go?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast