Plugin Contributions

help question platform for showroom

Hi there, i was wondering ( if this is the correct page to list my question) if zencart is a good way to be able to make a showroom/platform for video tutorials.
    my business asks in these days, for some tutorials on video and i'm not sure if i can make a 'showroom' for them on zencart. I'm not planning on selling them, its the meening people can see them for free and online.
    Would zencart be a good place?
    I feel comfortable with zencart after all these years

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: platform for showroom

Quote Originally Posted by kernheimer View Post
    Hi there, i was wondering ( if this is the correct page to list my question) if zencart is a good way to be able to make a showroom/platform for video tutorials.
    my business asks in these days, for some tutorials on video and i'm not sure if i can make a 'showroom' for them on zencart. I'm not planning on selling them, its the meening people can see them for free and online.
    Would zencart be a good place?
    I feel comfortable with zencart after all these years
    You could play with the following configuration setting:

My Store :: Store Status => Showcase no prices

From the (now defunct) PDF documentation:

If you choose option 1, your store will function as a product showcase. Visitors to your site will only see
    your products without the prices and not be able to make any purchase. Only a Contact Us hyperlink
    which leads to the Contact Us page is shown in place of a Add to Cart button. Visitors will also not be
    able to create an account with your store because the log in hyperlink at the top of the Store Front will
    not be displayed.

Plugin Contributions

that is what i was thinking about. thank you so much for confirming this. now only thing left is to see what is suitable video to add to the 'showroom"
    i think youtube is still a question
    Thank you so much!!!
    Eugenie

Plugin Contributions

This is a global setting and you won't be able to sell anything on your site.

If you have any sellable products, you might wanna consider using a different Product Type for your videos, and simply make them free. With a tiny bit of modifications to let's say document_general template files, you can remove all the stuff you don't want on that page and use it to play the videos, and at the same time keep the rest of your site "normal".

As for video source, you can use YT (well yeah, you're welcome for this amazing source of info ), Vimeo (if your videos qualify for their content requirements) or even host it yourself and integrate a player on your site. Depending on your videos and your host, you might need to host the videos on a different server, but that's now a whole different story...

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Balihr, i'm not planning on selling any video. and this is very separate as as sort of customer service.
    yes YT, but how to implement them to ZC is a bit of a problem. ( and yes, i'm adding your lovely gallery again for showcase )

this is a complete new setup and on a different domain/host than my usual websites/carts

Plugin Contributions

Do as @balihr suggested, edit one of your product types to remove the bits you don't want to show on the product page and then add the embed code (iframe) from YT to the product description.
    Simon

Plugin Contributions

thank you simon! i have to figure that out the removal, but i'm sure it will work! thanks to you all!!! most grateful

Plugin Contributions

Most of the 'bits' to be removed from the product page can be done in Admin > Catalog > Product Types; use the Edit and Layout Settings buttons to choose what to show. Other parts, such as product image (which you probably won't want on the page) can just be left blank when creating the product.
    Simon

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by simon1066 View Post
    Most of the 'bits' to be removed from the product page can be done in Admin > Catalog > Product Types; use the Edit and Layout Settings buttons to choose what to show. Other parts, such as product image (which you probably won't want on the page) can just be left blank when creating the product.
    I gave bad info here. Bits such as the product image should not be left blank when creating the product, this is needed elsewhere such as the Product Listing page, invoices etc. To hide it from the Product Page you will need to remove it from the template file as @balihr correctly suggested. Sorry for any confusion.
    Simon