Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Connect to storefront and database on a different server.

PHP 5.6.40 PHPMyAdmin version: 7.3.27 Fast and Easy Checkout

Last week my zen-cart was copied to another domain because I couldn't stop google from throwing a phishing warning on my Zen-cart storefront order page.

Both zen-carts, on 2 different domains have their own storefront, admin mgmt and database. So...I have Zen-cart fully set up on both domains.

Purchasers are still finding the old order form storefront and ordering from it.

I use Zen-cart for students to order courses, and the moodle course management system that students use to access online courses, verifies the order on the zen-cart database before it allows a student to log-in to his/her course. I switched the moodle check to find the order in the new zen-cart database, so the student can't get into the course if he/she orders on the old order form, connected to the old database. Also the student's information enters into the old admin site.

Is it possible to keep the old order form storefront operational but have it send the student order information to a Zen-cart database and admin site on another domain so that everything would gather in one spot and the student can be verified by the moodle?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Connect to storefront and database on a different server.

If your database is still on the same physical server there should be no lag involved by specifying the "new" database in the "old" site's configure.php files.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

One database is on abcrealestateschools.com and 1 database is on abcrealestateschool.com. I want both storefronts to send information to the admin and database on abcrealestateschool.com. So I need to tell the storefront on abcrealestateschools.com to send the orders to the admin and database on abcrealestateschool.com and not the database and admin on its server on abcrealestateschools.com.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Are they actually physically separate "servers"? Or just different domains on the "same server" hardware?

Apart from security, the main concern is speed of database queries:
    Fastest: both databases on the same physical server
    Next fastest: both databases on servers in the same network, with proper firewall rules allowing both servers to talk to each other
    Slowest: servers on different networks

Your hosting company should be able to set up the database firewall rules on the new server to allow only the IP address of the old server to "use" the new server's database.
    Then in your old site's configure.php files you'd put all the DB_XXXXXX credentials copied from the new server's configure.php. Admin and non-admin.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

They are both hosted by siteground, but the database locations are different. So are there multiple config.php files to change?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by abcschooldr View Post
    So are there multiple config.php files to change?
    Every Zen Cart store (at least until until v1.5.7 which is the most recent as of today) has two configure.php files: /includes/configure.php and /admin/includes/configure.php ... and both need the database details set in them.

Plugin Contributions

I am in /includes/configure.php. It looks like it lists 2 server url's and define('DIR_FS_CATALOG'. So If I change all 3, it will use courses/products from the admin on the new server, keeping it up to date?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

No, this section needs to be copied from the new server to the old:
    Code:
    /**
     * The following settings define your database connection.
     * These must be the SAME as you're using in your admin copy of configure.php
     */
    define('DB_TYPE', 'mysql'); // always 'mysql'
    define('DB_PREFIX', ''); // prefix for database table names -- preferred to be left empty
    define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8mb4'); // 'utf8mb4' or older 'utf8' / 'latin1' are most common
    define('DB_SERVER', 'localhost');  // IP address of your db server
    define('DB_SERVER_USERNAME', 'something');
    define('DB_SERVER_PASSWORD', 'something');
    define('DB_DATABASE', 'somedbname');
    And if the new server uses "localhost" for the DB_SERVER value, then your hosting company will need to give you the new server's IP address instead AND make sure the new server's firewall allows the old server's IP to access the database, and probably allow that IP address in the user credentials inside the database. But their tech staff (should be expert enough to) understand all that (cuz they do it everyday) so just ask them to take care of it.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I suppose yes you could also edit the HTTP_SERVER and HTTPS_SERVER to use the new domain name, but that will only work after they first click something on your old domain. So, yes you can change those two to match the new server, but also have your hosting company set a redirect from the old domain to the new. (again, that's something they do everyday)

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by abcschooldr View Post

Last week my zen-cart was copied to another domain because I couldn't stop google from throwing a phishing warning on my Zen-cart storefront order page.
    I really think you should spend time figuring this out, because it sounds like your site has been hacked and you haven't actually fixed the issue. (This means that sooner or later Google will be throwing phishing warnings on the new site.)
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast