Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Reinstall - can't get past database setup

I am using ZC version 1.5.1. I had to do a reinstall of my site and I can't get past the database set up portion of the install. (www.personalizedpetid.com)

There's this warning at the bottom of the window:
    NOTE:
    If you are Upgrading, be sure to choose "Database Upgrade" below to keep your data.

If you choose "Install", you will erase all the contents of your database.

The options below this warning are: Install; Upgrade Cfg files; Database Upgrade; Re-check

I have tried all of the options except Install because I don't want to lose my database. If I click upgrade, this is what I get in the next window:
    Database Information -- Upgrade Sniffer predicts: *** No upgrade required ***
    Database Type = mysql

Database Security
    Your Administrator username/password (the one that you use to access your shop Admin area) are required in order to make database changes. (This is NOT your MySQL password) more info...

Admin Username (from Zen Cart® Admin area)
    Password

I have also tried to enter what I had set as my admin user name and password at the bottom of that set up screen, but I can't get any further than this. The options after that are: Update Database Now; Done with updates; Re-check. Update and Re-check don't do anything and if I say done with updates, it tells me installation is complete, but it's clearly NOT complete, because it keeps circling me back to this install. I'm stuck and getting VERY aggravated. Please help! I cannot find my way out of this vicious circle...

Thanks in advance!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Reinstall - can't get past database setup

Lot's of reasons to actually do an upgrade instead, but take a look at the actions to do after installation: https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/first...r-installation
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Lot's of reasons to actually do an upgrade instead, but take a look at the actions to do after installation: https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/first...r-installation
    I have tried this but I can’t get past the database setup portion. I need help getting beyond that point. I don’t get the option for store set up or anything else after the database questions. I’m just stuck in this vicious circle of being stuck in the same area of the database set up.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo_girl View Post
    I have tried this but I can’t get past the database setup portion. I need help getting beyond that point. I don’t get the option for store set up or anything else after the database questions. I’m just stuck in this vicious circle of being stuck in the same area of the database set up.
    Well, I'm a little confused because of this portion of the OP:

Done with updates; Re-check. Update and Re-check don't do anything and if I say done with updates, it tells me installation is complete, but it's clearly NOT complete, because it keeps circling me back to this install. I'm stuck and getting VERY aggravated. Please help! I cannot find my way out of this vicious circle...
    That made it sound like the process "completed", but if you followed links that were provided (before doing the actions in the suggested link) that you would be sent back to the "installation" process. If the options were as described and the actions expected to be taken after install are not done, then what you described was pretty much expected... further, if the zc_install directory were moved/removed and you ended up being thrown into the zc_install process, then there is/was something seriously wrong...

The real question here is what is expected to be done by running the update process on what sounds like a database that already was at the database level being attempted? Meaning, why is an update being performed on a ZC 1.5.1 database to upgrade it to ZC 1.5.1 and what is the expected result?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Wait. You said you did a re-install of your site. You didn't say here "why".
    (Okay, well, I assume that means you "copied the Zen Cart files to your server", but you didn't say whether you did more than that, nor which "files" you copied (eg: original Zen Cart, or all your customized files), etc).

If you already have a database that you're using for this site, then you don't really need to run zc_install.
    Running zc_install serves only two purposes: a) generate missing configure.php files and b) populate a new database or perform an upgrade on an older-version database.

So, why are you running zc_install?

I guess the answer is really in the "why did you do this in the first place?"

Edit: ya, what @mc12345678 said

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Wait. You said you did a re-install of your site. You didn't say here "why".
    (Okay, well, I assume that means you "copied the Zen Cart files to your server", but you didn't say whether you did more than that, nor which "files" you copied (eg: original Zen Cart, or all your customized files), etc).

If you already have a database that you're using for this site, then you don't really need to run zc_install.
    Running zc_install serves only two purposes: a) generate missing configure.php files and b) populate a new database or perform an upgrade on an older-version database.

So, why are you running zc_install?

I guess the answer is really in the "why did you do this in the first place?"

Edit: ya, what @mc12345678 said
    Answer to why I did this to begin with. This domain was my secondary domain on my hosting account. I wanted to get rid of the primary domain name I was using and have this one as the sole domain name. Host said I had to delete this one from the hosting, then re-add it. Once it came back up and was showing as the primary, I simply moved the files out of the folder to the root directory. I had backups of all the files, including my database. After moving all the files, I got the zen cart message that I needed to install zen cart. So here I am and I’m completely stuck.

Plugin Contributions

I would take a look at the two configure.php files and make sure everything is correctly pointing to the right location. If you did not change them after the move, then ZC would not find the files needed to run without requesting an install.

Also looks like the DNS may not have fully propagated.
    Last edited by dbltoe; 12 Apr 2021 at 01:38 PM. Reason: more info

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    I would take a look at the two configure.php files and make sure everything is correctly pointing to the right location. If you did not change them after the move, then ZC would not find the files needed to run without requesting an install.

Also looks like the DNS may not have fully propagated.
    Ok, I think I found it. The attached is a screen shot of the admin/includes/configure.php file
    All of the paths and database information appear to be correct, but my admin folder is not defined. It looks like there are two places. How to I enter that correctly for the entire lines for both define WS admin and define FS admin?
    Name:  A38B67B7-5356-4164-ABF4-AA4F3F1C3BF1.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  49.8 KB

Plugin Contributions

Doesn't match any configure.php that I recall. Should be located at YOUR_ADMIN/includes/configure.php

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo_girl View Post
    Ok, I think I found it. The attached is a screen shot of the admin/includes/configure.php file
    All of the paths and database information appear to be correct, but my admin folder is not defined. It looks like there are two places. How to I enter that correctly for the entire lines for both define WS admin and define FS admin?
    Name:  A38B67B7-5356-4164-ABF4-AA4F3F1C3BF1.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  49.8 KB
    As of Zen Cart 1.5.1 (the version being used), the admin directory path is auto-determined by the line(s) below the red text. In this way, the admin directory never needs to be hard coded in the file and the admin directory can be renamed on a whim without further revision of the file. However, there may be an .htaccess file that has been manually generated in a parent directory of that folder which may need to be updated to properly reference that directory.

The question right now would be what issue is being experienced when attempting to access the admin directory? If receiving some sort of message about installing, please be sure to include information that is towards the bottom of the message indiciating the reason(s) the message is being provided. May still be experiencing DNS issues as I have not been able to access that site using the domain provided in the first post of this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast