Plugin Contributions

Default Another Banner Question

v1.5.5f
    I have made a banner that says something like "spending a few days with family/away from email for a few days so your shipping may be delayed a couple days"
    I plan on turnning the banner on a few times a year when on vacation. My question is if I turned it on for 4 days and then turned it off if a customer came to the store while it was posted and came back a week later when its no longer posted will he still see it because its in his computer's cache? Is that going to be a problem if I use a banner this way? Thanks
    All of my wood is cut from recycled trees

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Another Banner Question

If it makes a difference its a wide banner in header position #3

Plugin Contributions

Instead of a banner I modify the text in
    includes-languages-YOURTEMPLATE-english
    ~line 392 //define('TEXT_BEFORE_DOWN_FOR_MAINTENANCE', 'NOTICE: This website is scheduled to be down for maintenance on: ');
    define('TEXT_BEFORE_DOWN_FOR_MAINTENANCE', 'spending a few days with family/away from email for a few days so your shipping may be delayed a couple days between: ');
    Then you only have to adjust the ADMIN-CONFIGURATION-WEBSITE MAINTENANCE-Date and hours for notice before maintenance and switch the button ON

Plugin Contributions

That sounds like a good idea and I just tested doing it that way but when viewing it on the mobile version the top half of the message is cut off, you dont see the image good (At least on my site)
    Using the banner, I have set it up in header position 3 which is lower and you will see the whole message.
    Just wondering if somebody's cache would cause problems?

Plugin Contributions

I would think the better solution would be to fix the improper mobile view. I don't have a quick way to check now but, we set all responsive_classic sites with
    Code:
    /* ALL MOBILE PHONES - ORIENTATION:PORTRAIT */@media only screen and (orientation:portrait) {
    #navMainSearch1 {margin:20px 0 0 0 !important;}
    }
    because the search bar is half under the mobile header. The DFM warning is probably above that and may need some tweaking to get it to work.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Trees2wood View Post
    Just wondering if somebody's cache would cause problems?
    No, the banners aren't cached in the customer's browser.
    Once you turn a banner off, or it expires, it no longer shows to anyone.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    I would think the better solution would be to fix the improper mobile view. I don't have a quick way to check now but, we set all responsive_classic sites with
    Code:
    /* ALL MOBILE PHONES - ORIENTATION:PORTRAIT */@media only screen and (orientation:portrait) {
    }
    because the search bar is half under the mobile header. The DFM warning is probably above that and may need some tweaking to get it to work.
    dbltoe, I tried adding this to my includes-languages-YOURTEMPLATE-english, but got thrown a bug. What/where is the correct file to place this code? Thank you.

Plugin Contributions

That code was a suggestion. One of the things EVERY post asks for is a link to the site. You can use DOT vs . if you don't want the world at your doorstep just yet.

However, anything beyond a WAG needs us to be able to "see" the situation. And, no, no two are not alike.

Found it from your avatar. Looking
    Last edited by dbltoe; 15 Apr 2021 at 07:35 PM. Reason: added comment

Plugin Contributions

The file we use to modify a template is always stylesheet_zcustom.css. This keeps everything in one place. It DOES require a little extra work if you want it to properly affect mobile portrait rather than anything else.

In looking over this, I notice that lines 443 and 444 may have been erroneously added to- or misplace in that stylesheet. Since the stylesheet is not called for a desktop, the two lines are not used anywhere else. When in mobile use, they fall outside the landscape or portrait calls. Thus a double call for the #navMain at least as #navMain is previously listed on line 236.

Line 216 of the standard responsive_mobile.css starts the PORTRAIT version of the file. It ends on line 442. (had one of those once)

Lines 222 thru 258 should contain the items that need tweaking. We also use a chrome extension at https://tinyurl.com/yj5nk9dj for testing in responsive mode.

You will not be able to see the DFM notice unless you turn it on. When on, you can inspect the mobile and adjust the settings.

You can copy the calls you change into the stylesheet_zcustom.css but make sure you add the appropriate lines for mobile/portrait. I see that came out bad previously as the @media should be a new line of code like
    Code:
    /* ALL MOBILE PHONES - ORIENTATION:PORTRAIT */
    @media only screen and (orientation:portrait) {
    }