Plugin Contributions

Default How do I specify which products for Product Notifications?

We are seldom out of our regular products, so apparently no one has tried to use the notifications for a change in product status until recently. Now we're having trouble getting one of the products, and suddenly I'm getting one complaint after another that people weren't notified when the product was available. I've looked at the docs and I understand that this is not automatic. However, there doesn't appear to be any way to specify what product you want to send a notification for, or who to send it to. The docs say you can select which product you're sending notifications on, but there is no place to choose the product or to choose who the notification is going to. Can someone enlighten me?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How do I specify which products for Product Notifications?

In the "Newsletter and Product Notifications Manager", when you create a New Notification, and choose "product_notification" as the type (not "newsletter" which is the default), after you type in your message details and save, when you click Send it will let you pick which products.
    Then it will send to anyone who has subscribed to be notified about those specific products.

https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/produ..._notification/

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you, that's exactly the opposite of what I would have expected. I think a much more intuitive approach would be to let the user specify which product they wanted to send out updates for, and then enter the text. But I tried this and it does appear that it's going to work. My only other concern, and I don't anything that addresses this, is does this automatically go to any customer who has ever asked for a notification for a given product? How do you remove a customer who no longer wants to be notified? For example, I was maintainingg a separate email list at one point for a pet product, and after sending out notifications to everyone on the list, I got back an angry email from one person saying their dog had died and my email had upset the wife and to take their <expletive deleted> name off my list. How do I do that with the notifications in Zencart? I didn't see an editable list of customers, only a total number.

Or does this send just one notification, and customers need to request it again if they want to buy the product again and it shows out of stock? That would seem like the most sensible thing to do, but it's not clear which way it works.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

When a customer is logged in, when they view a product there's a Notifications sidebox with a link for them to sign up to be notified of updates to that product.
    Also, when someone buys products at the end of checkout they can opt to receive notifications about products on that order by editing checkboxes.
    Also, in their own My Account screen, there's a "Notifications" screen where they can self-manage which products they wish to be notified of.

In addition to product-specific notifications, they can tick the box for "global" notifications, ie: to be notified of all.

Then when you send out emails you can choose specific products, or you can choose Global.

Customers can self-manage all their notifications from inside their My Account screen.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 5.57.50 PM.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  35.3 KB

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

> How do I do that (take a customer off a list) with the notifications in Zencart?

Login as that customer.

https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/runni...n_as_customer/

Then go to to My Account and update their notification settings.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by swguy View Post
    > How do I do that (take a customer off a list) with the notifications in Zencart?

Login as that customer.

https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/runni...n_as_customer/

Then go to to My Account and update their notification settings.

Yep, figured that out, thanks. I was expecting to see a list of customers that I could edit. But this works too.