Plugin Contributions

Default Which shipping module to use?

I have a general question as to approach for shipping.

I'm using the generic Zones module to ship in basically 2 zones: domestic US and international, all USPS Priority. Sometimes I print labels via USPS (manual data entry) but usually via PayPal. With PayPal there is auto data fill in and a discounted rate.

I'd like to add the First Class package rate because it is still tracked and under 2lb is much cheaper.

What would be the best way to implement that change? Through new Zones (although how would the different services be noted?)? Using the Table rates module? Other?

TIA,
    Al

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Which shipping module to use?

Quote Originally Posted by acmaurer View Post
    I have a general question as to approach for shipping.

I'm using the generic Zones module to ship in basically 2 zones: domestic US and international, all USPS Priority. Sometimes I print labels via USPS (manual data entry) but usually via PayPal. With PayPal there is auto data fill in and a discounted rate.
    USPS may have pulled that discount from PayPal's offering recently. You may want to check on that.

I'd like to add the First Class package rate because it is still tracked and under 2lb is much cheaper.
    US 1st Class parcels currently qualify up to 1 lb (15.999 oz. to be exact). The rules and rates are changing frequently. It's a good idea to check here when building USPS rates for your shipping modules: https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm
    What would be the best way to implement that change? Through new Zones (although how would the different services be noted?)? Using the Table rates module? Other?

TIA,
    Al
    I believe you could do that for US customers with a single Table Rate module by setting it to charge 1st Class rate up to .99 lbs and then Priority rates thereafter. The module will let you select the zone, so set it for US only and create the table with 1st Class rates that change after 1 lb where they become Priority rates.

Another option is to create a table rate shipping module clone specifically for for USPS 1st Class parcels which the customer can select if their order doesn't exceed the weight limit. If the order is too heavy to qualify, they will not see that shipping option.
    See here for creating a shipping module clone:
    https://docs.zen-cart.com/dev/code/m...lone_shipping/

After creating the shipping clone, add this to your newly cloned table rate shipping method for USPS 1st Class in includes/modules/shipping:
    Code:
    // final check for display of Table Options 
    if (IS_ADMIN_FLAG == false && $_SESSION['cart']->show_weight() > 1) { 
      $this->enabled = false; 
    } else { 
      $this->enabled = true; 
    }
    The number in orange is the weight maximum you allow for this shipping method.

I use this for domestic lightweight orders that qualify for USPS 1st Class shipping, and it appears to be working well.