Plugin Contributions

Default Cloning my store

When I last upgraded my store, I had created several test copies but after a hack, and my host putting everything in quarantine and in the end, I only have my live site. I tried to find information in here on how to clone my site (so i can have a site to test new modules on) but i ended up the rabbit hole with a link that is no longer valid.

Is there step-by-step instructions somewhere on how to do that safely?

Thank you

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Cloning my store

How "one step" are you looking? Anything that generates a backup of the files and database (either both together or independently) offers a way to then create a second copy/clone of your store. The safety lies in the method(s) of transfer of the information, the storage location at the destination and the ability for the information to be modified.

Note that such a "move" (copy/clone) generally involves changes in the folder/file path structure, the domain name (if attempting to create a functional "backup") which would mean a need to either modify the new configure.php files or request zc_install to generate new/modified versions of those files...

Forgive me about not pointing to a possible docs.zen-cart.com article, but I still have difficulties with my **old** device in getting there and then I've had my own difficulties once there in finding subjects I might expect or seem to be present in search results. While its still somewhat a work in progress I can only say that I expect at least pieces and portions of what is desired to be there if a straightforward single topic is not. After all, it is kind of like setting up a new store in one way, its like moving the store to a new directory in another way, like changing the database and/or making a backup of the database on one side and restoring a database on the other...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    How "one step" are you looking? Anything that generates a backup of the files and database (either both together or independently) offers a way to then create a second copy/clone of your store. The safety lies in the method(s) of transfer of the information, the storage location at the destination and the ability for the information to be modified.
    I understand it is not a one-click process, but this kind of involved process is something I MIGHT do once every 5 years on my WordPress site, so things like database, and such are always foreign to me. I can follow instructions, but something for dummies (which could also be useful for a newbie). But if it is not as "simplified" as I wish, I know I can ask more specific questions, if needed.

Plugin Contributions

Using my preferred search engine, I searched on 'Zen Cart database backup' and while not the number 1 result, found a docs result that appears applicable to both database and store: https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/running/backup/
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Plugin Contributions

I wrote some instructions for creating a test site on your site's cpanel for the docs that was felt to be a little to specific. However, I think in this case, you may be able to modify it's instructions to do what you are wanting. You will need to use a zip of your current site rather than the current 1.5.7c download mentioned in the instructions.
    You will not need to run zc_install but you will need to edit both the configure.php files to match the new location and copy the existing database to a new database.
    Be sure to indicate the correct locations in the configure.php files along with the new database name. I do not recommend using the existing database with the backup/test site.
    HTH

Plugin Contributions

Thank you. I assume it would be the same for my 1.5.5e version, correct?

Plugin Contributions

You will need to use a zip of your current site rather than the current 1.5.7c download mentioned in the instructions.
    You will not need to run zc_install but you will need to edit both the configure.php files to match the new location and copy the existing database to a new database.
    Be sure to indicate the correct locations in the configure.php files along with the new database name. I do not recommend using the existing database with the backup/test site.
    The only thing to watch for originally is to make sure that the zip you make of the current site is in a folder.

If you simply go to the root of your site, select all, and compress; you will create a zip with no "base folder". Any Zen Cart zip (version or mod) will extract to a "base folder". Since you are not doing that for this scenario, you should create the _test folder first and extract your site's zip inside that folder. That will put the files in the correct location.

BTW

BACKUP prior, during, and after.