Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    237
    Plugin Contributions
    1

    Default Zen-cart as an inventory management system?

    So I need to get to 1.5.7, currently running a small biz on 1.5.6... but anyway... I've been using zen-cart as an inventory management system, by doing this w/ the product models...

    PRODUCT1-001 < first time I ordered "product1"
    PRODUCT1-002 < second time I ordered "product1"

    then I have a custom "invoice field" w/ poor data atomization (just didn't know better at the time of creating the field) where I do...

    060121VendorName002-003 < date of invoice (June 1st 2021), Vendor Name, 002 = 2nd time ordering from that vendor, 003 = 3rd item on the invoice

    ...then I have the product cost add-on (https://picaflor-azul.com/profit-mar...en-cart-plugin)

    ANYWAY, my question is... "what's the proper relational database sort of way to manage re-purchases?"

    Should I make a table that's `PRODUCTS_VARIATIONS` ... and have a foreign key that links the invoice and cost data?

    I currently have a products table that simply gets bigger with each order, would it be significantly worth it to try to re-configure w/ this relational "variations" table?

    I like the idea of building up one listing for "PRODUCT1" and then re-using it, but it seems like it might be an enormous undertaking. Like say one customer's order has 2 qty of PRODUCT1 and 1 comes from invoice1 and 1 comes from invoice2...

    Anyway any thoughts... suggested googling, etc would be appreciated.

    I had also messed w/ upgrading a quickbooks desktop sync add-on a while back by just googling error codes before I understood what objects were as a data-type... this I mention because I could possibly try to use that to manage the inventory.
    Last edited by wolfderby; 5 Jun 2021 at 09:50 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    115
    Plugin Contributions
    6

    Default Re: Zen-cart as an inventory management system

    Just a few remarks.

    Aren't you making it to difficult for yourself with giving every item an other product id for every incoming invoice? If the price changes this effect the value of goods in stock anyhow. If your purchase price changes significantly you'll have to adjust your sales price even if this means a drop in margin. Competitors with less stock will sell cheaper and leave you with disgruntled customers.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Posts
    8,837
    Plugin Contributions
    118

    Default Re: Zen-cart as an inventory management system

    If you need inventory management, you should look at inventory management systems like Webgility, Quickbooks, etc.
    Zen Cart is not an accounting system.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    2,384
    Plugin Contributions
    9

    Default Re: Zen-cart as an inventory management system

    you really need a PO type of system. which would involve a number of tables such as:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	po_tables.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	19603

    an example of the po_details table:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	po_tables_2.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	19604

    and then you would need some code to input this table. and it all should tie to your products table.

    i have done this before for clients, but it is not packaged up as a plug-in.

    best.
    mxWorks now has premium plugins
    are you using square? have you shown any appreciation with cake on venmo or on paypal?
    called the savior by the chief bottle washer...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    237
    Plugin Contributions
    1

    Default Re: Zen-cart as an inventory management system

    Quote Originally Posted by Philibel View Post
    Just a few remarks.

    Aren't you making it to difficult for yourself with giving every item an other product id for every incoming invoice? If the price changes this effect the value of goods in stock anyhow. If your purchase price changes significantly you'll have to adjust your sales price even if this means a drop in margin. Competitors with less stock will sell cheaper and leave you with disgruntled customers.
    I haven't figured out a simpler way yet... Typically I just let the lower priced items sell first, then know that... yeah there was a cost increase on it's replacement so the customer will have to pay more.

    Our customers are pretty happy w/ our pricing.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    237
    Plugin Contributions
    1

    Default Re: Zen-cart as an inventory management system

    Quote Originally Posted by swguy View Post
    If you need inventory management, you should look at inventory management systems like Webgility, Quickbooks, etc.
    Zen Cart is not an accounting system.
    My main issue w/ ever figuring this sort of approach out, was that my industry only has barcodes on about 1/2 the product, and I never got to the point where I put my own barcodes on when receiving.

    Something I'll have to give some thought to though. I have a script that generates this PRODUCTMODEL-001 incrementing for me.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    237
    Plugin Contributions
    1

    Default Re: Zen-cart as an inventory management system

    Quote Originally Posted by carlwhat View Post
    you really need a PO type of system. which would involve a number of tables such as:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	po_tables.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	19603

    an example of the po_details table:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	po_tables_2.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	19604

    and then you would need some code to input this table. and it all should tie to your products table.

    i have done this before for clients, but it is not packaged up as a plug-in.

    best.
    This is the sort of approach I was thinking might at one time help... This I will have to give some thought. I suppose on easypopulate import, the added quantity could be added to what's there?

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. eBay Inventory Management?
    By smoothrider in forum All Other Contributions/Addons
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27 Feb 2012, 05:56 PM
  2. Is there any module for Inventory management system?
    By Baljeet in forum Customization from the Admin
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 15 Sep 2010, 01:54 AM
  3. Inventory Management
    By panelcart in forum Setting Up Categories, Products, Attributes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28 Oct 2009, 07:52 PM
  4. Is there any module for Inventory management system?
    By Baljeet in forum General Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16 Nov 2007, 02:54 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
disjunctive-egg
Zen-Cart, Internet Selling Services, Klamath Falls, OR