Plugin Contributions

Default 'Write Review' redirecting to login page

157b PHP 7.3 responsive classic template, OPC, Google ReCaptcha v3.4 (and others)

On Product Info page when not logged in, 'write a review' tab redirects to the login page - admin/configure/product info has Enable product reviews by Guests set to 1 (enabled) - should by rights assume Guest and go to the page to write a review, correct?

There are no myDebug errors .... any assistance will be appreciated.

cheers,
    Mike

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: 'Write Review' redirecting to login page

Probably need some more info regarding link to site & mods installed, but I'll make some assumptions,

I don't think reviews by guest is stock ZC, you probably have the Reviews Updated mod installed? (https://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1442)

I assume the site in question is one of those in your signature - one allows guest reviews one doesn't. Is the mod (latest version) installed correctly on both sites (files merged/edited).

Of your signature sites the one that does not allow guest login has a URL rewriter mod enabled, can guests leave reviews if the rewriter is disabled? If so review the support thread for that mod.

Also review the support thread for the Reviews Updated mod.
    Simon

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by shags38 View Post
    admin/configure/product info has Enable product reviews by Guests set to 1 (enabled) ...
    This configuration value is not part of Zen Cart; it was added by a plugin.

You would have to modify includes/modules/pages/product_reviews_write/header_php.php to not require login, and test carefully because the customer's id and name are part of the review table.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by simon1066 View Post
    Probably need some more info regarding link to site & mods installed, but I'll make some assumptions,

I don't think reviews by guest is stock ZC, you probably have the Reviews Updated mod installed? (https://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1442)

I assume the site in question is one of those in your signature - one allows guest reviews one doesn't. Is the mod (latest version) installed correctly on both sites (files merged/edited).

Of your signature sites the one that does not allow guest login has a URL rewriter mod enabled, can guests leave reviews if the rewriter is disabled? If so review the support thread for that mod.

Also review the support thread for the Reviews Updated mod.
    Thanks for your response simon1066
    Is the mod (latest version) installed correctly on both sites (files merged/edited).
    in fact it wasn't .... had used the plugin on v1.5.5f sites with a different template to the v1.5.7b site which was the problem one .... of course in the plugin files I didn't change the template folder name .... and assumed all was OK (without testing!!!). Trap for young players as the saying goes I suppose, although the word young certainly does not apply to me. I need to do less assuming and more thorough application in future.

Again, many thanks.
    Mike

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by swguy View Post
    This configuration value is not part of Zen Cart; it was added by a plugin.

You would have to modify includes/modules/pages/product_reviews_write/header_php.php to not require login, and test carefully because the customer's id and name are part of the review table.
    Thanks Scott - see my response to simon1066 which explains my folly.

cheers,
    Mike

Plugin Contributions

Mike, did you consider using my Review Reminder plugin? It doesn't require any login and it automatically asks customers to review products purchased. And they can review all products they purchased at once, instead of reviewing one at a time.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by balihr View Post
    Mike, did you consider using my Review Reminder plugin? It doesn't require any login and it automatically asks customers to review products purchased. And they can review all products they purchased at once, instead of reviewing one at a time.
    Hi Leonard - I wasn't aware of your plugin so I'm glad you posted. I have just downloaded it and read the Readme - it is a no-boner to me, something that everyone could/should use! I will be installing this on my only v1.5.7 site and a few my important v1.5.5f sites (as long as I can get it to work on v1.5.5f that is).

One quick question - if a customer purchased 5 or more products can they simply review 1 or 2 and it still work? - up until now I have been sending emails to customers with links to each of the products write-a-review page but make comment that the customer could do as few or as many as they felt like with no obligation to do all of them if they they didn't want to (the daunting task syndrome).

Pity that there is not a regular newsletter that plugin contributors can utilize to promote the advantages of their plugins and make all Zenners aware of the plugin's advantages rather than it relying on visiting zen-cart/plugins regularly and clicking on each one, and if the description is 'non-descript' then downloading and then reading the Readme just to find out if it is what you want/need - anyway, such is life.

Thanks again for the 'nudge'.

cheers,
    Mike

Plugin Contributions

Mike, this was a good question so I've just replied in the plugin's thread so others may find it and read it.

As for the newsletter - yeah, I agree, I myself have missed quite a few good plugins only to find it a year later... But then again, there's a major revamp needed with the plugins anyway, but that's a whole other story.