Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: prices wont update after a certain line number with script i am running

Quote Originally Posted by travbacon View Post
    Thanks just to clarify, each website domain has their own php.ini. So can I edit the current php.ini file and add max_input_vars and it will overwrite the global value set overall for the host server?
    The php.ini file works based on directory and applies to all subdirectories inside it. So, if you put it in your store root, it will affect everything that's in root - your frontend, your admin, and even other websites if you have them installed as a subfolder (ie. yourdomain.com/blog or yourdomain.com/whatever).

If you have an existing php.ini it's always best to just ADD a new line with your new directive.

also if so would max_input_vars=xxxxx be the correct syntax?
    Yes, it would.

i set it at 2000, it worked but further down, prices would not update, 10000, helped a little and could update further down, so instead of testing back and forth, i set it a 1,000,000 and works for what i need.

so would this affect anything on the zc site, like make things work weird?
    As long as you keep this setting just for your admin, meaning in your store_root/YOUR_ADMIN/php.ini, I don't see how it could cause problems. I wouldn't set it as a global value for the entire domain or entire server, there's a reason why it's limited. But, since the admin is just for you, you probably won't be doind DDoS attacks on yourself from the admin so I guess you can set it to a quantillion if you want, although you should keep in mind you're gonna be hitting your server with a lot of data which will probably need quite some processing power.

Quoting:
    What is the purpose of Max Input Vars?

It helps lessen the severity of the DDoS (Denial of Service) attacks using hash collisions.
    Effects of higher Max Input Vars limit

The max_input_value should always be a reasonable level, which is called the ‘sanity check’. When this limit is exceeded, it makes you more vulnerable to attacks and can drench the server down.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: prices wont update after a certain line number with script i am running

"causing just minor delay on most pages, and slightly longer delay on pages where you're actually submitting that many values."

so what you are saying is having it at 1,000,000 is overkill and the servers ram will allocate that much everytime even though i don't need it, so i really need to experiment and if 500,000 helps, it will reduce load? (even though that load will really will be minimal?). basically try to trim it get the optimal perfomance from the zc site?

Plugin Contributions

thank you. yeah, this script is only for updating pricing on the admin in. who wants to individually update pricing one at a time for EACH mfg (we have maybe 200 mfgs) and each mfg has 100-900 part numbers. so this scripty helps a lot. go figure, this is from 2001 oscommerce days and it still works haha (of course with minor changes as php upgrades affected it to not work)

thanks again so much for your helpful insight

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

so this scripty helps a lot. go figure, this is from 2001 oscommerce days and it still works haha (of course with minor changes as php upgrades affected it to not work)
    Feel free to zip it up and attach it here. Someone may spruce it up a bit.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

"causing just minor delay on most pages, and slightly longer delay on pages where you're actually submitting that many values."

so what you are saying is having it at 1,000,000 is overkill and the servers ram will allocate that much everytime even though i don't need it, so i really need to experiment and if 500,000 helps, it will reduce load? (even though that load will really will be minimal?). basically try to trim it get the optimal perfomance from the zc site?
    Uhm, where did I say that?
    No, I'm just saying that as long as you keep that setting for admin-only, it's fine. I very much doubt you'll experience any lags on any other page in admin, and yeah, you should expect some lag on this page, but it's just something you'll need to learn to live with.

thank you. yeah, this script is only for updating pricing on the admin in. who wants to individually update pricing one at a time for EACH mfg (we have maybe 200 mfgs) and each mfg has 100-900 part numbers. so this scripty helps a lot. go figure, this is from 2001 oscommerce days and it still works haha (of course with minor changes as php upgrades affected it to not work)

thanks again so much for your helpful insight
    Well, if it works for you, that's great, but you might wanna consider using EasyPopulate or DbIo and upload that data through spreadsheets. It would probably be quicker for you...
    Also, the 2001 script... I don't really think it's that good to have so many products listed per page, perhaps it doesn't have pagination. It would probably be a better idea to add pagination and display let's say 200-500-1000 products per page. I know it's not as simple to use as it is with ALL products shown at once, but...

Plugin Contributions

i agree, it should have pagination like 100 products per page and the max vars could be set at default 1000, but like i said, this is from 2001 haha. and yes, i would love to use easypop or whatever, i have sent you a PM. thank you so much for your insight!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Feel free to zip it up and attach it here. Someone may spruce it up a bit.
    Sorry, I have been slammed. I also have sent you an important question (well at least I think it is). Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12