Plugin Contributions

Default Installing v1.5.7c on Ubuntu 20.04 Localhost

Most users will give up if they have to go through the hoops I had to while installing the newest version of ZC on Ubuntu.

It is terribly frustrating...even for a well seasoned user of Zencart like me.

I have a fresh install of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS on my Acer C7 converted Chromebook and I am using Firefox 89.0.2 (64-bit), XAMPP 8.0 and PHP 7.4.

The XAMPP install went smoothly and I was able to create the new ZC database in preparation of installing ZC.

My ZC files folder is located in opt/lampp/htdocs/zc157c/...

So, I opened the browser and used localhost/zc157c/ to start the process. I instantly got a white screen instead of the intro screen that typically asks if this is an upgrade or fresh install.

So, I tried localhost/zc157c/zc_install/...ah, magic! NOT. The page was bleeding red with warnings of missing configure.php files in admin/includes and includes folders. There were also 2 red notices and 6 blue notices for file folders with the wrong permissions.

I copied configuration.php and made blank copies for the configure.php files in each respective folders. New installs do not normally require these files and the files are generated by the new install process. What changed? I also changed file permissions on both configure files as well as several folders...logs, cache, media, images, .../.../.../ht?? among others. Sorry, can't remember all of them now.

Great! I finally made it to ZC setup. The database created perfectly and it displayed the admin password page. So, I proceeded to finish the install after copying and writing down the password.

DANG IT!!! White page of death. The final page with the links to the admin and storefront did not show.

Deep breath and a couple of smokes...LOL.

So, I went into the files to see if the admin folder got renamed...it did not, so I renamed it.

Back to Firefox...the storefront opened fine but admin was a different beast.

The password I had copied from the setup process did not work. I had to delete it and type in the password. So, I got to the expired/reset password page and tried to update the password. It kept telling me the user or password were incorrect, so, I got frustrated again and opted to try "forgot password". That didn't work and I did not get the email for resetting.

More deep breaths and smokes...closed the browser and reopened it to try again. This time, rather than pasting the password that I previously copied, I typed it in again as before.

BINGO!!! I finally got into admin.

Needless to say, I am less than confident that the install is correct. I think there is a problem with file and folder permissions but where? ZC? XAMPP? UBUNTU?

Can anyone shine some light on this mess and tell me what I need to do to make the install work as good as it normally does?

Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Installing v1.5.7c on Ubuntu 20.04 Localhost

To me, everything described as an issue has everything to do with server configuration/setup and not directly caused by Zen Cart.

The things that appear to be an issue are/were: incorrect folder designation, permission levels for files (write, read, remove, etc...), not having the email system fully setup when attempting to recover a password that may have also become blocked for a timed period, etc...

These things are not ZC originated, they became evident because of trying to work with ZC. As far as path(s) forwards, user/owner permissions including identifying how php will be run and aligning that with the permissions will help/be necessary. Next, if nothing else is done, likely will see issues in trying to upload images for product or categories.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

I deleted xampp completely and did command line install of LAMP with Mariadb but still had the same issue with folder permissions and configue files.

At least there were no white screens this time...able to get through the setup process and logged in to admin without issues.

There was also a caution about .htacess files.

Since this is my development machine, I will ignore the .htacess for now and change all files and folders to 777 and see what happens.

I am not a server setup guru but will keep looking into it...and graciously thanking anyone who can help.

Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Take a look at the recommended settings.

https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/secur...sions-settings