Plugin Contributions

Default Upgrade path from 1.5.5e to 1.5.7c

I'm starting in on updating a zencart shop from 1.5.5e to the current version. I recently upgraded a shop from 1.5.6 to 1.5.7b and ran into a few snags with some database things. So, before I launch into this next project, I wondered if there is a recommended intermediate upgrade to do (for example, should I first upgrade to 1.5.6a and then go from 1.5.6a to 1.5.7c?).

Any suggestions in that regard? Thanks in advance!
    Ellie Armsby

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Upgrade path from 1.5.5e to 1.5.7c

Generally speaking, no there is no "intermediate" database upgrade needed/expected. The expectation is that by installing to the latest version, where the template files will operate against the latest version, that the database then be upgraded as well to the latest version. Anything else just adds time to the process and potential for something to be missed in the upgrade process.

Of course this is also why it is suggested that the upgrade process be attempted to not interfere with the existing site operation so that the site can continue to do business while still upgrading to the current/recent version.

Now, there may be a slight reason to do a sort of intermediate upgrade if there is too much of a php version difference between the two locations to support continuing to upgrade. But if that's the case, would suggest the latest version(s) of whatever intermediate version which is expected to operate at its best in the extreme of its php version band. That said, 1.5.5 is expected to work up to php 7.1 and Zc 1.5.7 is expected to work down to php 5.6 so there is sufficient overlap between those two to support say php 7.0 and even possibly 7.1 though 1.5.5 may have some problems in some places with 7.1 or at least more so than 7.0. If you do temporarily use php 5.6 note that there may be some issues with the zenID being stuck on the browser path as that was an issue with that php version.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for that. I'm aware about doing the upgrade in a separate directory and only switching over to the upgraded shop after thorough testing. I always do my upgrades that way.

I recall the issue that I ran into with a previous upgrade had to do with new tables that had been added in a version between version 1.5.6? and 1.5.7b. It caused a problem with the install process. Eventually, I found a work-around and added the missing tables manually. Was hoping to avoid that by figuring out which version those tables would be added during the install script.

However, I think I'll just take my chances and try to go directly from 1.5.5e to 1.5.7c and do the same manual process to add those tables (now that I know what caused the problem). I am on PHP 7.0 so I think I should be ok in that regard.
    Ellie Armsby

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by earmsby View Post
    Thanks for that. I'm aware about doing the upgrade in a separate directory and only switching over to the upgraded shop after thorough testing. I always do my upgrades that way.

I recall the issue that I ran into with a previous upgrade had to do with new tables that had been added in a version between version 1.5.6? and 1.5.7b. It caused a problem with the install process. Eventually, I found a work-around and added the missing tables manually. Was hoping to avoid that by figuring out which version those tables would be added during the install script.

However, I think I'll just take my chances and try to go directly from 1.5.5e to 1.5.7c and do the same manual process to add those tables (now that I know what caused the problem). I am on PHP 7.0 so I think I should be ok in that regard.
    First of all, if there was a global problem about database tables essential to operation that did not get addressed even after that point, I would be very very surprised. It would be interesting to know the tables to which you refer and if the reason for the tables not being generated were actually because of incorrect data issues with date or datetime fields in the configuration table causing the zc_install process to end prematurely...

Anyways, whether this is/was your plan or not, I wouldn't try to make these tables until after attempting to perform the full database upgrade and addressing whatever messages result from just the zc_install process (not to include the issues of accessing the site's catalog or admin after the process).
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    First of all, if there was a global problem about database tables essential to operation that did not get addressed even after that point, I would be very very surprised. It would be interesting to know the tables to which you refer and if the reason for the tables not being generated were actually because of incorrect data issues with date or datetime fields in the configuration table causing the zc_install process to end prematurely...

Anyways, whether this is/was your plan or not, I wouldn't try to make these tables until after attempting to perform the full database upgrade and addressing whatever messages result from just the zc_install process (not to include the issues of accessing the site's catalog or admin after the process).
    Thanks. I don't think it was a "global problem" per se. I posted in this forum thread: https://www.zen-cart.com/showthread....-doesn-t-exist about it. And the solution was to run some SQL statements to add the missing "plug in" tables. After that, the installation/database upgrade ran like a charm.

I suspect the same issue will occur with the current upgrade from 1.5.5 to 1.5.7 that I'm presently working on. However, I will follow my standard procedure and attempt the upgrade first and then review error messages and resolve issues as they arise.

Thanks again!
    Ellie Armsby