Plugin Contributions

Default Best Cart to Migrate FROM Zencart

If one wants to get Out of Zencart and migrate to a new platform, what are some of the Carts out there that are easy to migrate to From Zencart?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Best Cart to Migrate FROM Zencart

Odd question, considering that migration is done once...I would image oscommerce would be the easiest to migrate to. But who wants to use that!

I would outline what features ZC is lacking that you need (I can guess..) and if any of the pro devs here can suggest carts that offer those features.
    Steve
    github.com/torvista: Spanish Language Pack, Google reCaptcha, Structured Data, Multiple Copy-Move-Delete, Image Checker, BackupMySQL Admin/Auto...

Plugin Contributions

Have you considered just upgrading from 1.5.4 (which is almost 6 years old) to 1.5.7c? With the Bootstrap template?
    You might be surprised at how much better it is.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kevinmc3 View Post
    If one wants to get Out of Zencart and migrate to a new platform, what are some of the Carts out there that are easy to migrate to From Zencart?
    i think that moving to a new platform is a big decision, and not something that one should take lightly.

that said, if one has already decided to move, i would think that an easy migration would be low on the list of requirements when considering new platforms.
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Plugin Contributions

It really depends on what you need that zc isn't giving you. What specifically does your business require that zc isn't providing, or what is the issue with zc that is bad enough to make you want to consider alternatives? Do you want hosted or self-hosted? What is your budget? There are so many options.

Zen Cart and it's community are the best!!

Plugin Contributions

I agree with carlwhat that ease of migration should be the lowest priority. Yes, it's a huge pain, but it's a one off task. I've used a migration service in the past and whilst it's not perfect it does the basics at a reasonable cost and then I could handle errors with some manual migration TLC. The main issue for me were custom modifiications / add-ons which the automated migration script didn't handle very well. Also the automated migration script work on the latest versions, so if you're running an old ZC version you may need to upgrade first before being able to use the migration service.

My view: there is no "best" cart, only the cart that suits you most. What this cart is will depend on the functionality you need, who handles development and what they are comfortable working with, as well as your budget.

So maybe start looking at what's not working for you right now, what is missing, what functionality do you need? And then compare that list against the carts out there. The usual subjects are probably Magento and WordPress with WooCommerce; or a paid platform like Shopify.

But no cart is perfect. Zen Cart IMO is reliable and relative low cost to maintain / modify which makes it a good cart for a small business.