Plugin Contributions

Default Mapping fields for .csv to mass upload a suppliers stock range

Ok, so I have an opportunity to use a new suppliers drop shipping service for computer components and i'm a beginner when it comes to development. My thoughts where if i was to install easy populate and then create a .csv on the suppliers sites to specs that suit my website then i'd be able to list the products and manually update each day.

not sure if there is a better solution for this?

got stumped on the first step before even attempting to install easy populate myself.

when i was trying to create a feed on the suppliers website i could easily add what items i wanted to include, only 2 thing's that had me stumped was how i would map the fields and what to put as the csv seperator.

instructions at the top of the page sounded easy enough at first...

"Here you will create a brand new feed which you can then use as a template for future feeds. Simply choose the format of the feed, then the Mapping Name and the Custom CSV Separator."

it loaded up standardised formats for the mapping fields, not sure if they are zencart compatible as is or if i have to go through and change them one by one?

Name:  2021-08-19.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  19.1 KB

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Mapping fields for .csv to mass upload a suppliers stock range

anyone help me please? I want to try and work this out myself as much as possible and generating a feed on the suppliers website is the first step.

generally just the mapping of the fields, has it loaded up standardised mapping that will work with zen? tried searching before asking but cant figure it out sadly

Plugin Contributions

Well, identifying what has been tried is certainly a good step. Perhaps a next best one would be to try to figure out more about the resulting feed file. Make educated guesses, be sure that no two selections are the same thing and save (screen shot?) what was used to make the first feed file. Then change something that needs to be changed to be sure it can be changed to what is needed.

Most mass upload programs use a field that relates to what is used in the database for that field.

Delimiters are what are typically used between each field. A true CSV file by definition should use a comma. If there is something else that is needed, then it would become the new delimiter. Standard alternate delimiters are the tab character, a semicolon, and perhaps a few others.

Being new, need to be sure that are setup to allow yourself to make mistakes without affecting your functional live site... A backup/temp site, makes that possible.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Well, identifying what has been tried is certainly a good step. Perhaps a next best one would be to try to figure out more about the resulting feed file. Make educated guesses, be sure that no two selections are the same thing and save (screen shot?) what was used to make the first feed file. Then change something that needs to be changed to be sure it can be changed to what is needed.

Most mass upload programs use a field that relates to what is used in the database for that field.

Delimiters are what are typically used between each field. A true CSV file by definition should use a comma. If there is something else that is needed, then it would become the new delimiter. Standard alternate delimiters are the tab character, a semicolon, and perhaps a few others.

Being new, need to be sure that are setup to allow yourself to make mistakes without affecting your functional live site... A backup/temp site, makes that possible.
    Thanks for the reply I mean my main issue is I don't know what to enter on the left column of the screenshot in relation to how zen would manage the fields ie "EAN_Code" im sure i set my "EAN" up with numinix as "Gtin" so would it be "GTIN_Code" / "GTIN" / "Gtin" or would it be something really obscure ie "Zen_GTIN_Code"

This is the stage where I can define the feeds column names to be imported predefined to work on my site compared to the site the data is coming from, I create a template and from that template I can then generate a feed with alterations such as markup to the price based on a percentage to each product. I can then set that to update every hour or so on there side and work out how to keep it updated automatically somehow. If I had an example feed I could at least then use that to help a developer give me a quote if i get stuck

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by flappingfish View Post
    Thanks for the reply I mean my main issue is I don't know what to enter on the left column of the screenshot in relation to how zen would manage the fields ie "EAN_Code" im sure i set my "EAN" up with numinix as "Gtin" so would it be "GTIN_Code" / "GTIN" / "Gtin" or would it be something really obscure ie "Zen_GTIN_Code"

This is the stage where I can define the feeds column names to be imported predefined to work on my site compared to the site the data is coming from, I create a template and from that template I can then generate a feed with alterations such as markup to the price based on a percentage to each product. I can then set that to update every hour or so on there side and work out how to keep it updated automatically somehow. If I had an example feed I could at least then use that to help a developer give me a quote if i get stuck
    If your feed is still to be processed by other software then it would be best to give it the field name that is used by that software...

if its v_sku at the top of the column of your normal import file, then that would be the field name that should be given for the export file.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    If your feed is still to be processed by other software then it would be best to give it the field name that is used by that software...

if its v_sku at the top of the column of your normal import file, then that would be the field name that should be given for the export file.
    so "v_" is zencarts beginning for the mapping column followed by the name at the top of the database for my store for each one? Caps sensitive i'm also assuming?

Plugin Contributions

and manually update each day.

not sure if there is a better solution for this
    Sure, think of how to automate it. Some food for thought here.

https://www.zen-cart.com/showthread....ct-information
    https://www.zen-cart.com/showthread....-Stock-Control
    Steve
    github.com/torvista: Spanish Language Pack, Google reCaptcha, Structured Data, Multiple Copy-Move-Delete, Image Checker, BackupMySQL Admin/Auto...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by torvista View Post
    So originally I was thinking easy populate would be perfect but wasnt sure how to automate it, from what i read on the first thread you linked to is that it has a built in chron job function? sounds like i need that for the product listing and updating and then just to map the fields correctly on the suppliers site then?