Plugin Contributions

image problem Help with WebP images for for my new v1.5.7c install.

Hi everyone,
    Just looking at ways of speeding up my website and one of the ways Google suggested was convert photos to Google's new WebP format.
    I've looked around Zen Cart forum with not much info available except 2017, when Design75 advises that from 1.5.5, WebP is supported out of the box. (I can't seem to find any other info at all?!)
    It seems that from late 2020, Apple's Safari on MacOS and iOS 14 will start supporting WebP.
    This site seems to have more details of what browsers support WebP (https://caniuse.com/webp).

I have also found this site (https://optipic.io/en/webp/zencart/).

I did a demo product and uploaded a WebP image, it worked in Zen Cart, it showed on my Firefox desktop but did not display on my Chrome for iPhone running iOS 13, it pops up with this error (This image failed to load) when you click on larger image, plus the small image doesn't load.

Ok, is there a way to use WebP images and if the customer's browser does not support it, force it to display jpg?
    Any support would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
    Last edited by rlexyd; 21 Aug 2021 at 01:54 AM.
    *Zen Cart eCommerce Solution - Putting the Dream of Owning an Online Business within reach of anyone!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Help with WebP images for for my new v1.5.7c install.

Quote Originally Posted by rlexyd View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Just looking at ways of speeding up my website and one of the ways Google suggested was convert photos to Google's new WebP format.
    I've looked around Zen Cart forum with not much info available except 2017, when Design75 advises that from 1.5.5, WebP is supported out of the box. (I can't seem to find any other info at all?!)
    It seems that from late 2020, Apple's Safari on MacOS and iOS 14 will start supporting WebP.
    This site seems to have more details of what browsers support WebP (https://caniuse.com/webp).

I have also found this site (https://optipic.io/en/webp/zencart/).

I did a demo product and uploaded a WebP image, it worked in Zen Cart, it showed on my Firefox desktop but did not display on my Chrome for iPhone running iOS 13, it pops up with this error (This image failed to load) when you click on larger image, plus the small image doesn't load.

Ok, is there a way to use WebP images and if the customer's browser does not support it, force it to display jpg?
    Any support would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
    There was someone else that recently wanted to implement WebP images as well, and basically for the same reason(s), Google said so... Afterall, its there image type, why wouldn't they suggest it?

At any rate, the more recent discussion (not so far back as 2017) had a similar statement, if want to exclude those devices/browsers that do not support it (macintosh related), then go ahead... As to the show this/versus that... I thought in that recent thread there was a similar "logic" provided. I thought I also remembered someone suggesting that a change be proposed to more recent versions of Zen Cart to further incorporate that functionality/detection... I don't want to miscommunicate who I thought it was that had made the statements/suggestions and while I thought I had posted to the thread I don't see any "recent" history that has image or webp in the title so, not sure what it would have been but I seem to recall it was during this calendar year.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

I have skimmed through a Lot of pages, from this forum and through google search and can't find any info?!
    Are you searching a different way than I am?
    *Zen Cart eCommerce Solution - Putting the Dream of Owning an Online Business within reach of anyone!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by rlexyd View Post
    I have skimmed through a Lot of pages, from this forum and through google search and can't find any info?!
    Are you searching a different way than I am?
    More than likely.. :)

I was looking through the history of threads to which I have subscribed. That list includes every thread to which I have made a post over the last probably 7 years and then there are some which I have taken interest in seeing what has been discussed so that I can continue to learn. So, as I paged through my history trying to recall when the conversation occurred, I stopped going back when I hit threads that had the most recent post of December 2020. Up until that point I assumed the title may apply to the subject which had something to do with images...

Otherwise I went to my favorite search engine and tried searching on "webp zen cart image" and came up with about the same as you had found...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...