Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Gift certificate issue

I have a customer who purchased a $25 gift certificate. She put her friend's email.
    I released the GC in the backend.
    She got a notification/invoice, and so did I.
    However, her friend said she never received it.

Now, I am stuck. I am still confused about this gift certificate thing (they are purchased so rarely)
    Is there a way to review that GC to resend it to the friend?
    Is there a place to see it?

I know it is set up correctly because another customer bought one earlier this year and the recipient did receive it, and used it.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Gift certificate issue

Nobody has a possible answer?

Plugin Contributions

You will need to give us a little more information as MANY things can cause the problem.

Not knowing the @whatever of the e-mail you are sending the GC to, it could be their e-mail dropping the ball.

Also, your DNS settings for your e-mail could be causing the mail to be denied by the giftee's mail program. There's an SPF, DKIM, and DMARC setting that, along with improper DNS, can cause emails to be just plain dropped by the likes of AOL, AT&T, sbcglobal, etc.

We have found that, unless correct, even a receiver trying to whitelist our emails with the three above was not successful. They often just throw them in a bit bucket and won't tell a soul.

You would be having more than the occasional problem if your DNS and SPF were off. However, a lot of hosts don't set DKIM (allows encrypted signatures) and/or DMARC ("combines" DKIM and SPF).

You MUST have correct SPF. You MIGHT need DKIM. You REALLY need DMARC but, it has to have SPF or DKIM as a basis in order to work. As a small business that will be sending emails to lots of different programs, DMARC is more of must have.

You can use mxtoolbox.com to see which of these things might be missing from your Zone Records. Just a quick entry of your domain name will let you know if you have DMARC setup correctly.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for responding. Now, you are talking a foreign language

So, the customer has a gmail address. She bought a $25 gift certificate.
    I will ask about the recipient of the GC.

As for the DNS and SPF and such, would those affect different email providers differently? I rarely have issues with email notifications being not received, and one GC was purchased a couple of months before without problem.

I do have DNS, DMARC, DKIM, spf set up through Cloudflare.

Now, this would EXPLAIN the issue if that is the problem. In the meantime, is there a way to retrieve the GC code so I could send it manually to the recipient if needed?

Plugin Contributions

First of all, https://downdetector.com/status/cloudflare/ doesn't look like it's working well.

Gmail is generally more lenient but, if there is a problem at cloudflare.....

What do you see when looking under Discounts in the Admin? You should see an option of "Gift Certificates sent". That would have the redemption code.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    First of all, https://downdetector.com/status/cloudflare/ doesn't look like it's working well.
    I don't understand what you mean. I see this "User reports indicate no current problems at Cloudflare"

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    What do you see when looking under Discounts in the Admin? You should see an option of "Gift Certificates sent". That would have the redemption code.
    Interestingly, I don't see anything from the correct month.
    Does it mean that it was never sent?
    I see nothing in the Gift Certificate Queue.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by CaroleAs View Post
    I don't understand what you mean. I see this "User reports indicate no current problems at Cloudflare"
    Scroll down to last 24 hours.

If the process were successful, a redemption code would have been generated and a coupon_code created in the coupons table.

Plugin Contributions

I see, for Cloudflare. However, this "question" was asked by the client, on August 23rd so i am not sure I can rely on this Cloudflare report to explain things.

So since I don't see a code in Gift Voucher's Sent nor in Gift Certificate Release Queue, does it mean it has vanished or it was never created for the customer?
    If that is the case, however annoying it is, it would be something I can confirm with the customer.
    In that case, is it gone for good and I can generate another one to replace the "missing" one?

Plugin Contributions

So since I don't see a code in Gift Voucher's Sent nor in Gift Certificate Release Queue, does it mean it has vanished or it was never created for the customer?
    If that is the case, however annoying it is, it would be something I can confirm with the customer.
    In that case, is it gone for good and I can generate another one to replace the "missing" one?
    Any clarification?

Plugin Contributions

Check the purchasing customer on the customers list and see if they have a balance listed on the customers screen, if they do then it is available for them to send to someone else or use as a balance on their account.

Name:  customers_list.png
Views: 70
Size:  48.8 KB
    see gv balance column
    Mike
    GeekHost - Zen Cart Certified & PCI Compliant Hosting
    The Zen Cart Forum...Better than a monitor covered with post-it notes!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast