Thread: Database

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Database

Hi

I'm currently using v 1.5.5a and want to upgrade to 1.5.7c on a new server.

I've looked through the forum and can't find what I am looking for. Can I backup the database from my existing site and use it as is with 1.5.7c or are there differences I would need to change.

Thanks

Mike

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Database

Quote Originally Posted by mike14017 View Post
    Hi

I'm currently using v 1.5.5a and want to upgrade to 1.5.7c on a new server.

I've looked through the forum and can't find what I am looking for. Can I backup the database from my existing site and use it as is with 1.5.7c or are there differences I would need to change.

Thanks

Mike
    have you reviewed this:

https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/upgrading/
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Plugin Contributions

and specifically this: https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/upgra..._only_upgrade/

The zc_install process takes your database and gets it ready for 157.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Note that a change in the primary designation of the version (numeric portion) indicates the need for the above process(es).
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Hi All....

I've been running ZC v1.3.9h (forever) with MANY Modifications! Finally doing the upgrade......
    I created a new store with v1.5.7c, loaded my template and successfully migrated my Original Database using zc_install.....

Things are going pretty good with a few bugs to workout!
    I have more customizations to make on the new v1.57c site, and a couple of new plugins that I want to install and test all before going live!

My original store running v1.3.9h is still live & taking new customers and orders.....

Here is my question.....

When I'm ready to go live with my New v1.5.7c store, is there ANY easy way to transfer the New Customers & New Purchases (since the original migration) from the old store to the new?

Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by zapme1 View Post
    Hi All....

I've been running ZC v1.3.9h (forever) with MANY Modifications! Finally doing the upgrade......
    I created a new store with v1.5.7c, loaded my template and successfully migrated my Original Database using zc_install.....

Things are going pretty good with a few bugs to workout!
    I have more customizations to make on the new v1.57c site, and a couple of new plugins that I want to install and test all before going live!

My original store running v1.3.9h is still live & taking new customers and orders.....

Here is my question.....

When I'm ready to go live with my New v1.5.7c store, is there ANY easy way to transfer the New Customers & New Purchases (since the original migration) from the old store to the new?

Thanks!
    When that time comes for full transfer, everything that has been changed for your current new database should again be done with the updated old database. Basically, you should be able with the upload of a single file, reproduce any and all store setting changes that have been made, or should be able to go through the admin and remake the necessary changes.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    When that time comes for full transfer, everything that has been changed for your current new database should again be done with the updated old database.
    I use a combination of notes (in admin > configuration > layout settings, change this. ... ) and .sql files (ALTER TABLE xxx) to track what I've done, and simply repeat those actions when it's time to go live. Ideally your records will be perfect and there won't be any surprises but if there are, you can at least refer to your test site and see how things look there to capture any misses.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it!

So as I understand this, I would only need to run SQL patches (if required) for any new plugins that are installed in the new store when I go live?
    Migrate old database using zc_install again > run SQL patches for new plugins > All Done....
    Is this correct?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by zapme1 View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it!

So as I understand this, I would only need to run SQL patches (if required) for any new plugins that are installed in the new store when I go live?
    Migrate old database using zc_install again > run SQL patches for new plugins > All Done....
    Is this correct?
    To ensure that we are all on the same page as even though the above brief statement is made, it is super possible for misunderstanding:

If your new/temp store is using a copy (would be old as soon as something happens on your live site) of your active database, then after the zc_install upgrade process and from that point forwards anything you do that modifies the database (new plugins, change of configuration options, ez page modification, etc...) would need to be reperformed on the version of your database that will become your upgraded live store.

This is one reason it is suggested that you practice this process a few times to be sure that it goes as smoothly as you expect before actually doing anything to your live store... As swguy said, you have/create/keep a test site... That test site should be what you want everything to look and act like for your live site, but perhaps not have the most recent customer/purchase data in it. To make the process as simple or easy to do, try not to modify things like product descriptions, attributes or other unique/individual things until after the upgrade is complete... By having that one test site, then you can create another test site to try out the upgrade process, see what goes wrong or works. Fix the hiccups, try again until it is smooth. The process of the upgrade in this situation really should only take a couple of minutes to implement which means that when you go to make the new software/database combination your live site, that your site should only be down (in maintenance mode) for a few minutes...

Rough order, yes, with the live site in maintenance mode (so that no changes are being made), make a backup of the database at this point and with the new fileset in place (no access to old file remnants), point the fileset to the old database, perform zc_install to upgrade the database, apply any needed patches to have the database respond the same way as your test site, then take the site out of maintenance mode so that customers can see the results of your hard work.

I wish I could draw a descriptive flow chart, but not something easy to do here.

I say all that because there is no description about what other changes are or have been made when you have gone through this process...
    If you only updated existing plugins and/or installed new plugins and made no other database related changes, then yes those are the only things that would need to be done after the live site's database was updated through the zc_install process and the site is being accessed by the new fileset(s).

Can't say this enough... BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP!!!! and be sure to understand the file "restoration" process and what it means to restore a file, directory or other information...

Plugin Contributions

Thanks so much for that detail, mc12345678! Much appreciated......
    My goal is NOT to make any changes to the database (or very few if absolutely necessary), and few configuration changes if any!
    I'm keeping good notes, so re-doing some changes won't be too bad.... And lots of backing-up as well!
    So it seems like I'm going in the right direction and thanks once again for the help!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast