Plugin Contributions

Default Domain and host changes...order of operations

I am in the process of changing hosts. I have a current copy of my store on the new host and it's performing way faster than my current site.

There is a sticky point in that the new hosts requires me to transfer my domain to them. I know most of the steps required but I am concerned with the order and timing.

1. Transfer domain to new host and keep it pointed to old site. Unsure if this includes changing nameservers at this point as well.
    2. TTL for old site is set at 4 hours now.
    3. Create new db in new host
    4. Install clean zc
    5. Upload copy of old store
    6. Upload database copy
    7. Point domain to new site?

Thanks guys. Sorry for silly questions this morning. I have get away from hostmonster in the next 10 days.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Domain and host changes...order of operations

Quote Originally Posted by g2ktcf View Post
    I am in the process of changing hosts. I have a current copy of my store on the new host and it's performing way faster than my current site.

There is a sticky point in that the new hosts requires me to transfer my domain to them. I know most of the steps required but I am concerned with the order and timing.
    This is B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T !!! No reputable host should *require* you to transfer your domain to them, only point it to their servers. You can have your domain registered with any registrar and simply point it to your host.

Quote Originally Posted by g2ktcf View Post
    1. Transfer domain to new host and keep it pointed to old site. Unsure if this includes changing nameservers at this point as well.
    2. TTL for old site is set at 4 hours now.
    3. Create new db in new host
    4. Install clean zc
    5. Upload copy of old store
    6. Upload database copy
    7. Point domain to new site?

Thanks guys. Sorry for silly questions this morning. I have get away from hostmonster in the next 10 days.
    Why steps 3 and 4? If you have a copy on the new server, and it's identical to the old server (everything up to date), I'd simply put the current live site in maintenance mode and change nameservers to point to the new host. As soon as propagation is complete, you'll see your site running normally (NOT in maintenance mode). The transition is seamless, your site is in maintenance mode during propagation so you know you won't lose any data (ie. get a new order on old server and then it doesn't exist on the new server).

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by balihr View Post
    This is B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T !!! No reputable host should *require* you to transfer your domain to them, only point it to their servers. You can have your domain registered with any registrar and simply point it to your host.
    Hopefully, the OP is misunderstanding what is required versus what is needed.

A host cannot easily provide free domains without having access to pay the bill. That is the only reason a host should request/need access to the domain's billing system. If the OP wants to be responsible for maintaing registration, that should be their perogative whether the domain is free or not. Of course, you could lose the "freebie". Just don't expect your host to try to set up accounts with all the different registrars in order to pay for your "freebie."

We have very few that "control" their own payments. Twice, different customers have had to pay exhorbitant recovery fees to get their domain back. Not a fee from us:it was charged by the registrar and most have different time tables and fees. Neither customer controls their registration since.

Again, is should be a host's need versus a requirement IF the customer is paying for a domain as part of their registration.

To the point at hand...

If you have cPanel, plesk, etc; most hosts will do the transfer for you BUT will at least need access to your registrar to change the DNS.

Two major things to consider:
    1. Is my domain within 90 days of expiration?
      • Some registrars will not allow a domain transfer within 90 days of expiration
      • You can change nameservers at any time
      • If your current host is your registrar as well, you can have them add time to the domain till you are ready to finalize the move.
      • More below on 90 days

2. Is my account with the old host within 30 days of expiration.
      • You need to create an account at your new host immediately
      • Create a database and install the latest ZC
      • You may need to edit the config files to temporarily reflect an IP address versus a domain name.
      • Get every bit of data from the old host you possibly can.
      • Make sure the new site is working before changing any domain DNS info.

Unless you are within 90 days of domain expiration, I would:
    1. Keep everything going on the old site until the new site it setup. Your new host should be able to tell you how to view and maintain your new site without using the domain name.
    2. Determine where your e-mail is currently maintained and if it will be maintained at your new host
      • If you just transfer the domain without gettting your stored emails, they will be gone.
      • With something like cPanel, plesk, etc., you'll be able to get them and file backups from your old host as long as you have an account.
      • Setup the same e-mail accounts on your new host that you have on your current.

3. Once that is straightened out, I'd change the nameservers at the current registrar to point to your new host's nameservers. Thate will transfer it all to the new host and all on the old host would be considered backup/historical data.
      • Some hosts charge to do a site, DB, or partial backup.
      • You can use file manager to zip files and download them.
      • phpMyAdmin will let you dump your database as well.

4. When the dust has settled and you have your backups downloaded from the old host, you can decide whether or not you want to continue controlling your domain or transfer it to your new host's management. The nameservers will already be propagated in the DNS so the transfer should take a matter of minutes.
    5. Make sure everything is working on the new host and you have all your backup/historical data from the old before closing your old account.

The whole process can be simple or horrendous depending on many variables. Your new host should be able to run with it without your having to do anything but provide domain access or you set the nameservers yourself.

Plugin Contributions

Well...the whole question is moot. I made one change thinking that I could test it...and the whole thing went sideways.

I ended up starting from scratch and rebuilding everything on the new host while live...I ended up with about 4.5 hours of down time anyway but the propagation was very fast.

I had to wait until this morning to verify the DKIM and SPF settings. I got the DEMARC policy loaded a few hours ago.

We have new traffic already and even new registered users so we seem to be good to go.

Thanks!
    Chris