Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    9
    Plugin Contributions
    0

    Default Admin Activity Log ... some questions

    Hello, hoping someone can answer a couple of questions related to the admin activity log...

    First, I'm assuming so, but would like to confirm...does it only log changes and activity made from within the interface in relation to external file changes?
    Example: if meta tags for a product are changed within the interface, then the user, date/time, etc. will be logged, but if the meta_tags.php file is modified with changes, I'm assuming that isn't logged in any way.

    Second, what all would result in the "Log reset by {someuser}" entry? I would assume that user actually performing a Reset, but are there other activities? If updating/upgrading from 1.3.8 to 1.5.1, would that cause a reset? Would it need to be done to perform the upgrade?

    Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    10,730
    Plugin Contributions
    79

    Default Re: Admin Activity Log ... some questions

    Quote Originally Posted by idevs View Post
    Hello, hoping someone can answer a couple of questions related to the admin activity log...

    First, I'm assuming so, but would like to confirm...does it only log changes and activity made from within the interface in relation to external file changes?
    Example: if meta tags for a product are changed within the interface, then the user, date/time, etc. will be logged, but if the meta_tags.php file is modified with changes, I'm assuming that isn't logged in any way.

    Second, what all would result in the "Log reset by {someuser}" entry? I would assume that user actually performing a Reset, but are there other activities? If updating/upgrading from 1.3.8 to 1.5.1, would that cause a reset? Would it need to be done to perform the upgrade?

    Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

    Cheers
    For the first question, the activity-log records who-did-what-when within the admin GUI interface; it does not record changes to external PHP (or image) files.

    For the second, that "Log reset" (I'm pretty sure) records who (which admin) clicked the "Reset" button within the activity logs' tool.

    P.S. Welcome to the forums!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Posts
    8,111
    Plugin Contributions
    110

    Default Re: Admin Activity Log ... some questions

    Quote Originally Posted by idevs View Post

    First, I'm assuming so, but would like to confirm...does it only log changes and activity made from within the interface in relation to external file changes?
    Example: if meta tags for a product are changed within the interface, then the user, date/time, etc. will be logged, but if the meta_tags.php file is modified with changes, I'm assuming that isn't logged in any way.
    As @lat9 explained, this is correct. You can track changes like this though with the Changed Files plugin:

    https://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=2193
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    9
    Plugin Contributions
    0

    Default Re: Admin Activity Log ... some questions

    Thanks for the responses!

    More specifically about "reasons why" the log file would be reset...I understand wanting or needing to reset or export/reset to keep it from getting too large and, I assume, slowing down or perhaps even crashing the site...

    But is it recommended or would it have been necessary to reset it for updating, or upgrading...specifically a large update from 1.3.8 to 1.5.0/1?

    Not to confuse, but yes, this is actually a historically related question in trying to understand events that actually occurred on a system.

    Thanks again for all the help!

    Cheers

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    9
    Plugin Contributions
    0

    Default Re: Admin Activity Log ... some questions

    Quote Originally Posted by swguy View Post
    You can track changes like this though with the Changed Files plugin
    I'm guessing not, but would that also show "who" changed files, or just that they were changed and when?

    Cheers

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    10,730
    Plugin Contributions
    79

    Default Re: Admin Activity Log ... some questions

    Quote Originally Posted by idevs View Post
    Thanks for the responses!

    More specifically about "reasons why" the log file would be reset...I understand wanting or needing to reset or export/reset to keep it from getting too large and, I assume, slowing down or perhaps even crashing the site...

    But is it recommended or would it have been necessary to reset it for updating, or upgrading...specifically a large update from 1.3.8 to 1.5.0/1?

    Not to confuse, but yes, this is actually a historically related question in trying to understand events that actually occurred on a system.

    Thanks again for all the help!

    Cheers
    That admin_activity_log table can get quite large, especially if you're adding/removing/updating products and/or processing orders. It's best (IMO) to reset that log ... after using the admin tool to export the current contents of that table via the Admin :: Admin Activity Logs tool. I normally export "All logged data, regardless of severity" in CSV format, saving the output file on the site's server (that'll be in the /admin/backups sub-directory).

    If the table gets too big, you could run into a "time exceeded" or "out of memory" condition when you attempt to perform that export.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Posts
    8,111
    Plugin Contributions
    110

    Default Re: Admin Activity Log ... some questions

    Your guess is correct, but if there are multiple people changing files on your site, it might be a good idea to change your FTP credentials and get that locked down. One and only one person authorized to change files is a good rule.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    9
    Plugin Contributions
    0

    Default Re: Admin Activity Log ... some questions

    Excellent. Huge thanks for helping me to better understand functioning and impact!

    Cheers

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    16,099
    Plugin Contributions
    17

    Default Re: Admin Activity Log ... some questions

    There are other server logs that can show activity performed to files on the server, they too can be large and may show way more info about activity on the server than what is being sought. The logs also may only be retrievable by system admins (host) and often are only kept for a specific period of time (week or two). They won't show a "who" but instead an ip address as reported to the server. Some hosts also show ftp logs separate from standard html type accesses. They won't show what data was actually transferred but should show what request was made.

    Now, if trying to understand how/why the admin_activity_log might have been brought over in the upgrade process as blank, can call it an "excuse", but as far as operation goes, its content is not essential to how the site responds to a shopper, its size at transfer could be large, a backup of the database would still have the information and could be carried forwards in its own upgrade. So, in bringing up the new store in the new version, upload/download times could be reduced without that content present and further the process of incorporating the old database to the new store may not have been performed in accordance with the current instruction (which has changed over the last 10+ years following the time that 1.5.1 was released) resulting in a loss within the 1.5.0/1 store database of that data. Again though a backup of the original database could be restored to recover that information.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    9
    Plugin Contributions
    0

    Default Re: Admin Activity Log ... some questions

    Thanks again all for your responses and help. It has proved valuable to better understand how this powerful tool works!

    Cheers

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. v157 Admin activity log
    By jeking in forum General Questions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16 Oct 2021, 02:04 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28 Aug 2014, 02:23 PM
  3. v151 Admin activity log - only shows todays log
    By kitcorsa in forum General Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21 Jan 2014, 04:52 PM
  4. Admin activity log
    By Louis in forum Bug Reports
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30 Aug 2011, 06:41 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
disjunctive-egg
Zen-Cart, Internet Selling Services, Klamath Falls, OR