Plugin Contributions

Default Meta Tags: Admin interface vs meta_tags.php

[Related to 1.3.8 and 1.5.1]

Question regarding meta title, meta keywords, and meta description and differences between edits made within the admin interface and the meta_tags.php file.

Are additions/edits made within the meta_tags.php file merely appended to the information provided via the admin (inclusionary)?

Or, do changes made within the admin interface take priority and the meta_tags.php information not appear (exclusionary)?

Thanks for the help!

Cheers

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Meta Tags: Admin interface vs meta_tags.php

There's good info in the new docs portion of the forum. Give a look at https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/products/meta_tags/ Pretty comprehensive info.

Plugin Contributions

Sorry, unusual request I realize...

I'm assuming the current docs relate to current version...I actually need to know whether this would have been true for the 1.3.8 version specifically?

If so, then I'm happy to check those docs, or if there are docs related to that version.

Cheers

Plugin Contributions

Along with others, I welcome you to the forum. You'll find no better group of volunteers wanting to help others.

That said, I hope you understand that you are using a version that will be 12 years old at the end of next month. The PHP version to run it has been EOL for nearly eleven years.

If nothing else, you are in a dangerous position for both yourself and your customer(s) in continuing with such an outdated/vulnerable version.

While we wish to help, you must understand that we are not able to set up special demos or scenarios without having to create setups that could jeopardize our own operations. Everyone here is a volunteer and I'm sure you know their time is often limited. The less research you require of them, the quicker/better their response. It's like asking those with an iPhone X to help troubleshoot a Motorala bag phone. If you do most of the research for them (see the posting tips), they can spend less of their time trying to "get up to speed" and more time helping.

Unfortunately, ZC life for you will not get better until you move to a newer version. And, trying to fix 1.3.8 will only result in frustration and patches that will just confuse any move you make to get to modern day standards.

Your best bet is to set up 1.5.7c on a server that can handle at least PHP 7.4. I don't know of any current server settings that allow both 5.2 and 7.4 on the same box and most have long moved away from MySQL 4. So, you will probably have to have separate locations just for safety's sake. The one good thing about that is that your store can continue to run at its current location while getting the current version up and running. And, PHP 7.4 still has a year before it is EOL. PHP 8 is the current version but, it may be a problem if you load any ZC before 1.5.7c.

Note also that, any host still running those versions of PHP and MySQL is (IMHO) derelict in their support of their customer(s).

Be very minimalistic in the 1.5.7c setup. Just get it to where you can take money and ship product. Fancy URLs, sliders, fancy pictures, and whiz bang mods can come after the dust settles. You just need to get up to date as soon as possible. You'll find a LOT of changes and improvements in 1.5.7c. It will be a bit difficult to import the old database but help can be had with that when the time comes.

You can start with https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/first..._do_i_install/ and know that folks here on the forum will be ready to help if you need it.

Plugin Contributions

Sorry, I was thinking this might be a straight forward question and answer and did not mean to have you invest so much time in your response, though I do appreciate it.

I am not running a store nor intend to with that version, this is all purely historical. It relates to ongoing litigation, and thus I can't go into more detail. Hence the need for understanding how things "did work," rather than how they might work differently now.

Before anyone panics, let me say that Zen Cart is NOT directly connected to the litigation nor at any risk.

Beyond that, I fully agree with your assessments about not running such historical versions in a live environment!

I will review the docs you recommended, but also, if anyone does have an answer (not asking for anyone to research or spend time on this) regarding the historical functionality, I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Cheers, and again, sorry for any confusion.

Plugin Contributions

while i appreciate everything that @dbltoe does on this forum, he has a tendency to use the term "we" to refer to all members of this forum.

as an active member of this forum, i would state unequivocally that he does not speak for me, nor do i agree with him on everything he states on this forum. there certainly are any number of things of which i do agree with him.

if you are looking for expert testimony on any ongoing litigation, feel free to DM me or any other active member of this forum.

IMO expert testimony is of value, and should be compensated accordingly.

best.
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Plugin Contributions

Apologies for the misconception. I try to use first person for my personal thoughts and third person when discussing/presenting what our company procedures and policies are. Sometimes, that might be confusting to the reader.

I certainly do not want to put words in anyone's mouths or imply that I speak for anyone else on the forum.

Plugin Contributions

Alas, when bring up the fact of "edits" to one of the files, well, that pretty much negates any "expectation" of operation as the edits can be done to cause whatever is desired by the editor. Add in that also talking about software in the 1.5.x series, now it is possible to alter code operation without touching those files directly. At least became so at some point or another.

Just suggesting that may need to be careful about statements associated with code operation as suggested by a single specific file as what seems suggested above.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Thanks again for the responses and help.

Cheers