Plugin Contributions

Default More shipping zones

Hi,
    Just updated my site to V157 and find shipping zones has decreased to 3. Is there any way to increase this number??
    Thanks

Colin

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: More shipping zones

Colin, are you looking in Zones or Zone Definitions? I have 1.5.7c and there are oodles of Zones. There is only two Zone Definitions and one that I created.

Plugin Contributions

Colin, if you're referring to the number of shipping zones provided by the "Zones" shipping method (/includes/modules/shipping/zones.php), you'll need to edit that shipping module to increase the number of zones from its default of 3.

On line 115 of the as-shipped zc157c version of that module, you'll find:
    Code:
          // CUSTOMIZE THIS SETTING FOR THE NUMBER OF ZONES NEEDED
          $this->num_zones = 3;
    Just change the 3 to the number of zones you want to use and then visit the admin's Modules :: Shipping page so that those additional zones get populated so that you can customize them.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lat9 View Post
    Colin, if you're referring to the number of shipping zones provided by the "Zones" shipping method (/includes/modules/shipping/zones.php), you'll need to edit that shipping module to increase the number of zones from its default of 3.

On line 115 of the as-shipped zc157c version of that module, you'll find:
    Code:
          // CUSTOMIZE THIS SETTING FOR THE NUMBER OF ZONES NEEDED
          $this->num_zones = 3;
    Just change the 3 to the number of zones you want to use and then visit the admin's Modules :: Shipping page so that those additional zones get populated so that you can customize them.
    This is curious as I do not remember ever changing that value.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by g2ktcf View Post
    This is curious as I do not remember ever changing that value.
    Yeah for continued confusion. :)

Are you now on the same page as lat9 about the shipping module's identification of the number of zones supported by that module or are you still thinking about the above mentioned list of possible zones and the zone definitions?
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Actually I am still confused. I went back and looked. My setting is still at the default value of 3. I guess that setting affects the number of Zone Definitions you can have? I have page after page of zones actually listed. The terminology seems to be confusing to me. I do know that the only zone defined out of the box was Florida as I had to add Texas.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by g2ktcf View Post
    Actually I am still confused. I went back and looked. My setting is still at the default value of 3. I guess that setting affects the number of Zone Definitions you can have? I have page after page of zones actually listed. The terminology seems to be confusing to me. I do know that the only zone defined out of the box was Florida as I had to add Texas.
    The word "Zone" is used in a number of places and in a number of ways.

There are Zones that exist, there are zone definitions and in what appears to be associated with this thread, there is zone shipping (as in the shipping module called zones). Shipping modules provided by ZC support a shipping module (and payment modules as well) to be active/support a specific zone; however, to offer a more complete "solution" the zones shipping module allows the zones shipping module to be active for multiple zones with each zone having its own fee schedule based on some of the other factors associated with the purchase. If not mistaken (because I'm working from understanding and knowledge at the moment) the fee schedule for the zones shipping module is based on the "weight" of the order such that up to the weight(s) defined, the fee associated with that weight is charged.

In the default install of the zones shipping module, it supports 3 zones; however, within the code of the module there are comments about how to modify the number of zones that are presented in the admin when configuring the module. It appears that in the upgrade of this site (from some unstated version) to the current version, the differences that existed in that site as compared to a default install were not identified for all situations including the number of zones that are to be supported by the zones shipping module. Not going to really get into the various ways that the number of zones could be identified/stored. Arguments (discussion) have been held that it should be something stored in the database; however, most database settings are considered something "fluid". A store that has established its shipping schedule to identify the associated zones is not likely to change that frequently. There is also something to be said for things being hard-coded instead of held in the database, etc... The central thing here is that to modify the number of zones supported by the zones shipping module needs the changes described above by lat9 whether the line number is the same in one's personal copy/modification of the module the concept is the same...

The thing I was going to look into before suggesting something similar was if the module does some sort of "database" cleaning when that number is expanded to then be able to offer some guidance about how to ensure that the existing database settings (if still remaining from the upgrade) do not have to be recreated... That said, the OP hasn't responded with any further issues so likely my concern(s) are unwarranted.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

For what it is worth, I agree with the comment that these should not be fluid and are really not suitable for the database. Editing a shipping module file is not difficult and is not time consuming for an initial install. ymmv.