Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: ADA Compliance And no kidding, getting sued over it

Wow... first, i would not put a site into an analyzer because it may retain that information and since too many Americans no longer have scruples, that information may be sold to lawyers praying on small businesses.

I feel that the blind should be accommodated by big business, who can afford the luxury of pawning this off to a techie sweating bullets for the company. But...putting this on small business shows you how out-of-touch judges and lawyers and lawmakers are with the average American. It's hard enough to survive thanks to the Amazons, Walmarts, etc of the world sucking up the lion share of customers.... now this. Yes, as one post said, this has been around but it's interpretation is new...ie, targeting anyone under the sun for non-compliance. Being blind is a curse for those who suffer it but now that curse spreads to small business people? It's not possible to accommodate everyone without breaking the bank. Plus, if colors matter, ie what color text on what color background, it destroys the artists creativity of a site, even clashes with logo's and other expression. What a mess. To remain a strong country, the red tape needs to be lifted from free markets...but let's be honest, we are no longer under a free market system...corporations are too big and powerful and if being honest, we have moved from free markets to whatever we are in now. I'm sure techies can develop some sort of portal maybe where the blind can load any website for perhaps an audible rendition? Shoving this onto small business is immoral. in the quest to be "moral" they are immoral. Go figure.

Plugin Contributions

Wow... first, i would not put a site into an analyzer because it may retain that information and since too many Americans no longer have scruples, that information may be sold to lawyers praying on small businesses.
    You can bet that they have FAR better tools at their disposal than you can find for free on the Internet. You can run but, you can't hide.

Respectfully, you miss the point when thinking ADA/WCAG is designed to force small businesses to cater to the blind or color blind. Actually, EVERY Search Engine (SE) is technically blind. They can't "see" an image, a form title, a hidden aria tag, etc. They have to rely on alt tags, table headings, aria tags, accesssible names, etc. Thed exact same information the reader needs for the blind customer.

They especially can't see the text in an image nor can they tell if those who do can actually read the text. The main page image of 1.5.7c is a perfect example. If you hover over the couple's image, you get a tooltip telling you that you can view the online documentation. If the text were in a box with the image as the background, it could be properly read and would make more sense to the SE. The image below shows just how much information THE SE does not get when looking at the image.

Attachment 19870

In actuality, making your site more "reader friendly" helps with EVERY SE.

Plugin Contributions

Latest info in the revelation that there is no magic wand and nothing beats a good foundation.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gusalex...h=132fdf8e5a15

The biggest mistake is that people think the widgets "fix" problems. The problems need to be fixed prior to adding the widget.

Plugin Contributions

I'm curious as to what others are using as Testing Tools for ADA/WCAG compliance.

I have found that WAVE by WebAim, axe DevTools, and ANDI (see post #9) give similar but often varying results.

One will complain about alt text being the same as the product title. DUH

Using ANDI, I believe haredo and I have gotten haredoDOTcom fully compliant. There are some recommended JavaScript checks but, this is a 1.5.6c site which does not have the keyboard problems of 1.5.7c.

I'd be interested to see what you can find in your testing of the site.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    I have already been in discussions with the Team to add our ADA/WCAG widget to the Zen Cart Certified Services Page. That means the Team gets a portion of all sales that came from the Services Link. After you check out acccessiBe, take a look at what a different (I think better) widget can do at https://jeandret.com.
    I tried to sign up for the free trial at https://jeandret.com and the order never completed. It's been sitting there going round and round for about ten minutes now. Is the free trial available only if you're being hosted by MyZenCartHost?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by carlwhat View Post
    while ZC has made some valiant/efforts and strides in this arena, i have found that installing accessibe is the easiest way to make your site ADA compliant and prevent these lawsuits. when a spider sees this code on your site, they ignore it and move on.

one line of javascript, and they handle the rest.
    I signed up for their 7-day trial, but I'll be darned if I see where to put the javascript. I'll eventually figure it out, but if you can tell me where, that would save me a lot of time. It looks though it needs to go into one of the template files, but I don't immediately see which one.

Thanks in advance!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by HeleneWallis View Post
    I signed up for their 7-day trial, but I'll be darned if I see where to put the javascript. I'll eventually figure it out, but if you can tell me where, that would save me a lot of time. It looks though it needs to go into one of the template files, but I don't immediately see which one.

Thanks in advance!
    helene,
    look here:
    https://github.com/zencart/zencart/b....php#L195-L198

includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/common/tpl_main_page.php

right after the end php tag (?>) on line 197 and before the end body tag on line 198.

find that in your template and it should work.

best.
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks in advance!
    Sorry for the confusion. Decided to make jeandret.com the demo for what changes can do.

The trial is at https://myzencarthost.com/index.php?...iance-products

The code goes in includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/common/tpl_main_page.php BEFORE the </body> tag

line 269 for basic responsive_classic

If you do not have the override in YOUR_TEMPLATE, you would use the template_default but, most have overridden that file.

Not sure where accessible goes.

Major difference is ours will change the entire site'ss language AND read it to the surfer.

NOTE: Neither can fix existing ADA/WCAG problems. Testing tools are discussed at jeandret.com
    Last edited by dbltoe; 18 Feb 2022 at 08:39 PM. Reason: NOTE

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by carlwhat View Post
    helene,
    look here:
    https://github.com/zencart/zencart/b....php#L195-L198

includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/common/tpl_main_page.php

right after the end php tag (?>) on line 197 and before the end body tag on line 198.

find that in your template and it should work.

best.
    Thanks, I tried putting it in a jscript file of its own and put that in all the template jscript directories where I thought it might possibly need to go (default, classic, my own, etc) and nothing happened. I'll go do what you said :)

EDIT -- and that worked, thank you!
    Last edited by HeleneWallis; 18 Feb 2022 at 09:20 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks, I tried putting it in a jscript file of its own and put that in all the template jscript directories where I thought it might possibly need to go (default, classic, my own, etc) and nothing happened. I'll go do what you said :)
    Again, my directions are for the widget at myzencarthost.com.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast