Thread: Meta Tags

Plugin Contributions

Default Meta Tags

This is not a proper ZC question...but I am going to ask anyway

I had a slow day at work and got really into some in-depth reading in both the Developer and Store Owner documentation pages. I ran across Meta Tags and realized that I have NEVER added one to anything on my site.

Is this something I need to fix like ASAP? How important are these to rankings?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Meta Tags

Here's one thought. https://www.tributemedia.com/blog/meta-description-faqs

Most important is the Meta Description. That's the paragraph usuailly shown along with your listing. It is an ADA/WCAG requirement yet, I find sites without it quite often.

IMHO, product description is far more important to your ranking.

Plugin Contributions

As part of that and the original question, while you may not have purposefully entered any meta tag information, a default zen cart install typically offers up some meta tag information from text that has been entered for categories, products and the like. You can always do more if you wish, but there are plenty of tidbits auto-populated in your pages if you consider your customers in the content that you have entered. Yes, including those that have some sort of limited "access" is certainly part of that and believe it or not there are many that have such limitations that use this forum site and the associated software. But... I would not try to stuff things into this additional data thinking that it is going to get you ahead. That it helps those that need the additional information, then great, help your customers find your things and make purchases, don't try to game the system. It will come back to bite...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    As part of that and the original question, while you may not have purposefully entered any meta tag information, a default zen cart install typically offers up some meta tag information from text that has been entered for categories, products and the like. You can always do more if you wish, but there are plenty of tidbits auto-populated in your pages if you consider your customers in the content that you have entered. Yes, including those that have some sort of limited "access" is certainly part of that and believe it or not there are many that have such limitations that use this forum site and the associated software. But... I would not try to stuff things into this additional data thinking that it is going to get you ahead. That it helps those that need the additional information, then great, help your customers find your things and make purchases, don't try to game the system. It will come back to bite...
    My concern was that it was hampering my ranking. That is not the case and I have other more important things to worry about. I will try to populate it from here on out though.