Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default XAMPP and Different PHP Versions

This is not a question! I recently had been trying to get XAMPP as my local host to use different versions of PHP for testing. While it was not easy to get the information, I finally got it to work. I found all kinds of different instructions all over the net. Some use virtual servers and that is an option. This seemed to be the best for my needs. Some input from the Apache forum was critical to get this to work. I guess I was being annoying as they wanted me to go learn all about servers and server configurations! I am not a server guy and all I can show you is what I have working. PLEASE do not ask me to explain what is in the files. I have read through some of the documentation but I am still sort of lost. I am sure that there are some folks here on the forum that can explain this better. I am also trying to get Xdebug to work with all three versions as well. That is a work in progress. If you are interested, please keep reading.

First off, install the version of XAMPP you want to use as a base install. I have 7.4.25 as my installed base to xampp\

Next under you XAMPP create two new folders, in my case xampp/php8 (8.0.10 is the actual one) and xampp/php81v (8.1.1 is the actual version). Your base install version (7.4.25 for me) will be under xampp\php). Go to php.net and download the Windows version of that PHP file. Make sure you get the regular zip file as I cannot vouch for the others. I was told that the "debug" version was not the correct one. Unzip the PHP versions into the correct folder.

Under the XAMPP control panel, open httd-xampp.config file and add the following to the bottom of the file. Note how the versions are shown. you need to make four changes for each version as yours may be different. I went forward but I am told that you can go backwards to older versions if needed.

Code:
    ScriptAlias /php8-cgi/ "C:/xampp/php8/"
    <Directory "C:/xampp/php8">
        SetEnv PHPRC "C:/xampp/php8"
        AllowOverride None
        Options None
        Require all denied
        <Files "php-cgi.exe">
              Require all granted
        </Files>
    </Directory>

ScriptAlias /php81-cgi/ "C:/xampp/php81/"
    <Directory "C:/xampp/php81">
        SetEnv PHPRC "C:/xampp/php81"
        AllowOverride None
        Options None
        Require all denied
        <Files "php-cgi.exe">
              Require all granted
        </Files>
    </Directory>
    create a new .htaccess file for each version. The trick is to set the php version by using the .htaccess so you copy the correct .htaccess file to the store folder where you want to use the PHP version. I actually made two different files and named them PHP8htaccess and PHP81htaccess. All I have to do to change PHP versions is to rename either file to .htaccess.

for PHP 8.0.1, I used
    Code:
    <FilesMatch "\.php$">
        SetHandler application/x-httpd-php-cgi
    </FilesMatch>

<IfModule actions_module>
        Action application/x-httpd-php-cgi "/php8-cgi/php-cgi.exe"
    </IfModule>
    and for 8.1.1, I used

Code:
    <FilesMatch "\.php$">
        SetHandler application/x-httpd-php-cgi
    </FilesMatch>

<IfModule actions_module>
        Action application/x-httpd-php-cgi "/php81-cgi/php-cgi.exe"
    </IfModule>

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: XAMPP and Different PHP Versions

I appreciate the effort/time involved and altruistic motives for your post. Multiple times I have considered doing the same, but didn't.
    This sort of information is invaluable and liable to changes/be tweaked so maybe you would consider putting it on Github so others may be tempted to add their particular experiences/problems/solutions.

Personally I have moved from Xampp to Laragon in which it is so easy to add other versions (Apache, mysql, maria, php) that if you have a look at it you may get a bit angry at how much time you have spent on Xampp, but you have learnt a lot!
    Steve
    github.com/torvista: Spanish Language Pack, Google reCaptcha, Structured Data, Multiple Copy-Move-Delete, Image Checker, BackupMySQL Admin/Auto...

Plugin Contributions

where would I put this on Github? I am still a newb.....

Teach me Obi-wan!

Plugin Contributions

Mine just work fine by installing them in:
    xampp_7_4
    and
    xampp_8_0

A shortcut for each on the desktop screen and so far so good.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Philibel View Post
    Mine just work fine by installing them in:
    xampp_7_4
    and
    xampp_8_0

A shortcut for each on the desktop screen and so far so good.
    but then you need separate htdocs folders. Xdebug will not work like this, at least from my experience. I can change PHP versions on the fly without even restarting Apache.

Plugin Contributions

where would I put this on Github? I am still a newb.....
    Create an account on GitHub, get Gitkraken, watch all their video tutorials and make/play with a test repository.
    Steve
    github.com/torvista: Spanish Language Pack, Google reCaptcha, Structured Data, Multiple Copy-Move-Delete, Image Checker, BackupMySQL Admin/Auto...

Plugin Contributions

FWIW, I've been using the port-based solution identified in this (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...sions-in-xampp) stackoverflow posting.

That way, I can access a site that 'needs' PHP 5.6 on localhost:8056/something and can run the zc157c upgrade of that site on localhost:8080/something.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lat9 View Post
    FWIW, I've been using the port-based solution identified in this (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...sions-in-xampp) stackoverflow posting.

That way, I can access a site that 'needs' PHP 5.6 on localhost:8056/something and can run the zc157c upgrade of that site on localhost:8080/something.
    I saw that one and I think it is a perfect answer as well. I did not know if the port settings would cause problems with Netbeans & Xdebug. I do not have an answer for this so I chose a path! There may not be any problem at all.

Your solution could get memorized in the browsers, right? I sort of WANTED to make a larger effort to make sure I was on the right version. I would end up thinking I was on 7.4 and actually be on 8.0. Again, my fears may be overstated.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by g2ktcf View Post
    Your solution could get memorized in the browsers, right?
    Perhaps use for each php-version a different browser? Chrome, Edge, Firefox or Opera to separate the cache memories.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Philibel View Post
    Perhaps use for each php-version a different browser? Chrome, Edge, Firefox or Opera to separate the cache memories.
    you still need to check dev code on all browsers for compatibility, wouldn't you? I like my chosen method because I know, I must "select" a version each time I test something...AND I am testing the same code each time. There are other ways to do this as lat9 mentioned. So ymmv.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast