Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: My first time upgrading

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosK View Post
    Yes, I redid the web install of zc and pointed it to the new database which is a copy of the currently used one. It had me setup a user and password. Both the new configure.php files have the new database indicated.

I'm not sure what I should see, but it seems completely blank. I was hoping something would carry over, but nothing seems to have. Thanks
    A more probing set of questions is, when starting that "it" appears blank, by what method is that identified? Looking in myphpadmin, going to the site, looking in the Zen Cart admin, etc.?
    What log files have been generated in attempting this operation?
    Info helps track down the issue(s).
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    When you look at the files of your old/live store. Look in the file includes/configure.php. what does the line look like where there is: DB_PREFIX?
    Same as my current one:

define('DB_PREFIX', '');

Plugin Contributions

Ok, so again, how will I shoot my eye out if I ditch the old database? I have 22 products. About half I don't care about. A handful might have hyperlinks out there in the ether.

I can manually figure the handful to have the right #'s in the url:

...index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=61

This is the 4 and 61, category# and product# it seems.

If return customers have to re-enter their address and recreate an account, it seems a minor inconvenience. I'm seeing a tradeoff between time I spend screwing around with the old database vs. recreating categories and products from scratch (I'm still not sure I wouldn't have to do that anyway considering my ignorance on databases). Thanks for the help.

Plugin Contributions

Please address this post before going the other way. It may be that the database didn't get loaded to the right place, that the incorrect credentials are listed or some other yet to be discovered issue.

Plugin Contributions

I did the database backup per those instructions if that's what you mean. I followed them as best I could.

I did not see these options:

Tick “Complete Inserts” (helpful during upgrades if you have many custom fields added by modifications made to your site)
    Tick “Extended Inserts” to help keep the file smaller, especially if you are just making backups for safekeeping and not for troubleshooting something.

I get the options here in the picture below

Looking the the phpadmin, it does look like the new database did not populate correctly. It has one entry in address book and zero customers. The original has hundreds of each.

Can you speak to my question though. What else am I'm going to be losing if I ditch it? I don't have a ton of time, if I'm just sitting here stuck on database, it's creating other problems for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	data.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	19933

Plugin Contributions

Ok, edit for the above.

I just googled "copying database" Turns out, there is this options under "operations" in myphpadmin. I created yet another new database and it appears to have all the stuff. I will now try installing ZC into another folder using this db and see how it goes.

If it works, I assume I can use those subfolder files and the db when I install at the top level.

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Ok, I redid the install with the new database that has all the data. Didn't work, still blanks. I go back into myphpadmin and the database is mostly empty! Customers zero, addresses zero, etc.

Plugin Contributions

Ok, now I'm trying these instructions:

https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/upgra..._only_upgrade/

Setup

CRITICAL: Back up your site
    CRITICAL: Backup your database
    Create a new directory called “test” and put the latest version of Zen Cart into it. We’ll call this your test site.
    Then create a new database and load your old database in it
    Do any database conversions necessary - only necessary if you have custom date fields
    Next, change the two configure.php files to utilize the new directory and database This way … when you attempt to upgrade you are “practicing” to see where the problems, if any will happen
    Run the installer at https://www.YOURSITE.com/zc_install
    Choose the Upgrade option

Use the upgrade button!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	upgrade_button.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	19935

Now you have an up to date copy of your database with an up to date copy of the Zen Cart files.

Does latest version mean the 1.57d files I've downloaded? They do not contain any configure.php files!!! What's the deal?

Plugin Contributions

ok, some progress. Uploaded 1.57 files PLUS 2 old configure.php files. Upgrade button magically appears! Database brought in, install done! Next will try modifications and see if the site actually wants to work. Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosK View Post
    ok, some progress. Uploaded 1.57 files PLUS 2 old configure.php files. Upgrade button magically appears! Database brought in, install done! Next will try modifications and see if the site actually wants to work. Thanks
    And status/functionality of your live site now?

As reported my guess is that it isn't fully operational. But perhaps some detail was left out of the above posting.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast