Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default My first time upgrading

Hi, I'd like to upgrade my 1.54 site to 1.57d. I have some really noob questions here, sorry. I'm reading the implementation guide and it's not clear to me what I need to do.

I FTP'd all the 1.57 files into a "demo" folder. I went to my host and created a demo database. Do I treat it as a "new install" from there?

If I go to mysite.com/demo, I see the install verbiage:

This is your first time using Zen Cart® and you have not yet completed the normal installation procedures.
    If this is the case for you, CLICK HERE to begin installation.

This is not your first time using Zen Cart® and you have previously completed the normal installation procedures.
    If this is the case for you, then...

Your /includes/configure.php and/or /admin/includes/configure.php files contain invalid path information and/or invalid database-connection information.

Do I do first time install "click here"?

When it's done, where is the demo store's url, is it mysite.com/demo?

Does the install create the configure.php file?

Thanks
    Last edited by CosmosK; 22 Mar 2022 at 09:36 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: My first time upgrading

Looks like, yes, treat it as new install. Seemed to work. Mod's feel free to delete this thread.

Plugin Contributions

Not to quick there. Yes, initially treat as a new install... but you will want to come back (eventually) and try a database upgrade with the contents of your live site out into this new demo database... This demo location is all about going through the upgrade process so that when you are actually ready to upgrade the live site the visitors may see a blip of an page from anywhere of a few minutes to possibly an hour depending on what you have to do to finalize the upgrade.

Can also think of it this way, right now you have a test site that has all of the default information including the default settings. Ideally everything should work without any issues. Then comes the things that make the site yours. The sequence is somewhat up to you and depends on what changes you want made.

But... you are on a good start to doing the right thing, updating your site.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Thanks. I hope I understand to process. I've got the demo site installed. Next I will try to install my template (Westminster New) into that subfolder. After that I will try redoing the tweaks I did to make it my own. My site is simple, I think it should be just changing out images and text. Then payment modules and hope they work (the whole reason for the upgrade is they stop working when hosting company upgrades php on me.. they won't let me live at 5.6 forever)

If I understand you, I will at some point import my old database. This would bring my old customer and order lists back, if I understand correctly. Sound correct?

So, when my "demo" folder is all nice and ready, do I just replace the top level (live site) files with the ones in the demo folder or do I have to do everything again? My weak understanding so far makes me think most of the files don't change during install, just the database and the configure.php?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosK View Post
    Thanks. I hope I understand to process. I've got the demo site installed. Next I will try to install my template (Westminster New) into that subfolder. After that I will try redoing the tweaks I did to make it my own. My site is simple, I think it should be just changing out images and text. Then payment modules and hope they work (the whole reason for the upgrade is they stop working when hosting company upgrades php on me.. they won't let me live at 5.6 forever)

1. If I understand you, I will at some point import my old database. This would bring my old customer and order lists back, if I understand correctly. Sound correct?

2. So, when my "demo" folder is all nice and ready, do I just replace the top level (live site) files with the ones in the demo folder or do I have to do everything again? My weak understanding so far makes me think most of the files don't change during install, just the database and the configure.php?
    1. Correct. Understand though that when that "old" (live) database content is brought into your demo location, before really accessing anything, the database needs to be updated... YES, there is likely to be an error generated when loading the main page of the site if this update hasn't been performed. Finding that "right" setting that allows the site to be in maintenance mode but not generate a log file when visited is part of that "upgrade" process.

2. In a way yes, but I am always cautious about just nodding my head and agreeing... "REPLACE" in my mind means to take the folder(s) and contents out of the way and place the new file(s)/folder(s) where they are expected to be and where/when able to allow the system to create/recreate the configure file(s)... This is something "expected" to automatically happen during an upgrade (zc_install process to *UPGRADE* the data). Also, don't be afraid to ask more questions about this especially if there is something not understood. There are several individuals that will describe the process in different ways. There's a lot of variables and things that can affect the process.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Not to quick there. Yes, initially treat as a new install... but you will want to come back (eventually) and try a database upgrade with the contents of your live site out into this new demo database... This demo location is all about going through the upgrade process so that when you are actually ready to upgrade the live site the visitors may see a blip of an page from anywhere of a few minutes to possibly an hour depending on what you have to do to finalize the upgrade.

Can also think of it this way, right now you have a test site that has all of the default information including the default settings. Ideally everything should work without any issues. Then comes the things that make the site yours. The sequence is somewhat up to you and depends on what changes you want made.

But... you are on a good start to doing the right thing, updating your site.
    There is so much that is different from when your site was built and the current 1.5.7d that I would abandon most everything on the old site except images and the defiine_pages that made up the old site. Be sure to check all the define_pages for proper content and current formatting.

On the database, there are at least two things you will neee to address with the 1.5.4 database. The date format used back then of 0000-00-00 00:00:00 will stop the database upgrade.

Also, there are a couple of database places that may need to be updated. Check https://www.zen-cart.com/showthread....-5-1-to-1-5-7c for what I had to do.

Plugin Contributions

I am planning to delete all the top level files and move in the "demo" files to the top level then install. I think I can change mostly images if the template still works and I'll mostly be there. Maybe I just delete the configure.php and do a fresh install at the top level so they can be recreated.

Let me ask this: Any reason to not just ditch the old database? I can live without old customers and orders being retained. Returning customers can create a new account. I have copies of all my old order in pdf so I can look stuff up if need be.

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosK View Post
    I am planning to delete all the top level files and move in the "demo" files to the top level then install. I think I can change mostly images if the template still works and I'll mostly be there. Maybe I just delete the configure.php and do a fresh install at the top level so they can be recreated.

Let me ask this: Any reason to not just ditch the old database? I can live without old customers and orders being retained. Returning customers can create a new account. I have copies of all my old order in pdf so I can look stuff up if need be.

Thanks
    Somehow I can't jump on the "drop the old customers" bandwagon. It's often important simply for a customer to find the item they ordered two years ago so they can replace it.

It so much simpler to do it the other way. Believe me, you will spend more time trying to "massage" the old database. Than it would take to get it ready for upgrade.

My glitches were with 1.5.1. Not all of the changes may be needed with the 1.5.x database.

Plugin Contributions

Seconded. Updating the database is the easiest part of the upgrade; it's completely taken care of for you in Zen Cart.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    It so much simpler to do it the other way. Believe me, you will spend more time trying to "massage" the old database. Than it would take to get it ready for upgrade.
    Sorry, I'm seeing two ways. 1. Do nothing, old database dies. 2. Update/import/?? the old database at some point. Is there a third method? Clearly, I'm not super versed on databases. Yesterday, I thought maybe I didn't have one, so could skip that part of the instructions ;)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast