Plugin Contributions

red flag Paypal Module on Zen Cart 1.5.5F

I have a client running Zen Cart 1.5.5F. The Paypal Module is from 2015, and he's just started receiving 3D Secure Errors.

So was the module updated for 3D Secure, and can the updated module be installed and function ok on Zen Cart 1.5.5f?
    Nick Smith - Venture Design and Print
    https://venturedesignandprint.co.uk

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Paypal Module on Zen Cart 1.5.5F

Not quite as tough as putting a 6.7l Cummins diesel in a volkswagen BUT....

So much has been done since 1.5.5f (including some security updates) that it is actually safer to upgrade.

Put 1.5.7d in a new/test folder. Bring over images, define pages, and your template IF compatible. Put current versions of mods in the new site and import/update the old database.

All can be done while the old site is running.

Meanwhile, being in the UK, you do not mention which PayPal you are using and whether or not your host has changed PHP versions on you.

Do a google search for PayPal UK Zen Cart and look at some of the current threads on what's going on in your area.

Plugin Contributions

red flag Re: Paypal Module on Zen Cart 1.5.5F

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    Not quite as tough as putting a 6.7l Cummins diesel in a volkswagen BUT....

So much has been done since 1.5.5f (including some security updates) that it is actually safer to upgrade.

Put 1.5.7d in a new/test folder. Bring over images, define pages, and your template IF compatible. Put current versions of mods in the new site and import/update the old database.

All can be done while the old site is running.

Meanwhile, being in the UK, you do not mention which PayPal you are using and whether or not your host has changed PHP versions on you.

Do a google search for PayPal UK Zen Cart and look at some of the current threads on what's going on in your area.
    Thanks for the detailed response, but I am a Zen Cart Developer and I realise all this. However I was asking a compatibility question. Some people are stubborn about upgrading, including this particular client as he was getting alot of business without upgrading.

Website Payments Pro is what is being used alongside Express Checkout. I have installed it on 1.5.5f anyway because he was getting 3D secure errors. The older version is backed up, and both have kept the same settings.

This may come across as the wrong way of doing things, but if a client won't upgrade to the latest zen cart, they won't, and there is nothing I can do about that until they accept their cart has fallen over. Well apart from try and keep them running on their current set up. They are running PHP 5.6 but obviously according to the server requirements I can take it up to PHP 7.1 if necessary.

Plugin Contributions

I'm assuming the client has a Cardinal processing id/credentials set up for processing the 3DS payments?
    If not then he will not be able to get them now as Cardinal are no longer handling 3DS processing for Paypal.*

The core WPP 3DS processing was broken around 1.55 or 1.56. It worked correctly from 1.39h until then. (I had a 1.5x test site running for a while but abandoned it due to building it around a terribly written template. When I built a new test site on 1.56 the 3DS was borked)

A re-write of the payflowuk module was required when I finally upgrade my site from 1.39h to 1.57c. Lat9 did this for me.
    I believe the upgrade to payflowuk in the 1.57d files is to correct this although that is just my assumption.
    My 3DS is still running and working fine, even after the "switch" on March 14th.
    I've no idea what would have changed to cause the issue to start for your client (assuming he was ever 3DS compliant to begin with), but maybe those files will give you some insight.

*Cardinal are no longer handling Paypal's 3DS processing from October when 3DS v2 will be required in UK and EU by Visa and Mastercard. (Currently they process 3DSv.1.0)
    Paypal is deprecating WPP and has replaced it with Paypal Commerce. It's completely different and (afaik) Paypal themselves will be handling the 3DS verification.
    I'm becoming a bit of a pest on the forum by repeatedly posting about this, but there appears to be no inclination from the devs to integrate Commerce.
    Your client will have to find a new payment processor (it appears that there may be a compatible Square module/upgrade in the works), a new cart or revert to only using Paypal Express like the rest of us who use Paypal in UK/EU.
    Last edited by gsh68; 24 Mar 2022 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Typos & stuff

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gsh68 View Post
    I'm assuming the client has a Cardinal processing id/credentials set up for processing the 3DS payments?
    If not then he will not be able to get them now as Cardinal are no longer handling 3DS processing for Paypal.*

The core WPP 3DS processing was broken around 1.55 or 1.56. It worked correctly from 1.39h until then. (I had a 1.5x test site running for a while but abandoned it due to building it around a terribly written template. When I built a new test site on 1.56 the 3DS was borked)

A re-write of the payflowuk module was required when I finally upgrade my site from 1.39h to 1.57c. Lat9 did this for me.
    I believe the upgrade to payflowuk in the 1.57d files is to correct this although that is just my assumption.
    My 3DS is still running and working fine, even after the "switch" on March 14th.
    I've no idea what would have changed to cause the issue to start for your client (assuming he was ever 3DS compliant to begin with), but maybe those files will give you some insight.

*Cardinal are no longer handling Paypal's 3DS processing from October when 3DS v2 will be required in UK and EU by Visa and Mastercard. (Currently they process 3DSv.1.0)
    Paypal is deprecating WPP and has replaced it with Paypal Commerce. It's completely different and (afaik) Paypal themselves will be handling the 3DS verification.
    I'm becoming a bit of a pest on the forum by repeatedly posting about this, but there appears to be no inclination from the devs to integrate Commerce.
    Your client will have to find a new payment processor (it appears that there may be a compatible Square module/upgrade in the works), a new cart or revert to only using Paypal Express like the rest of us who use Paypal in UK/EU.
    Ok, well I am running Paypal on a few websites, alongside square. And I am not getting the same issues. My sites are all on 1.5.7c at the moment, although I plan to upgrade. I'll see if he gets any problems with running the latest paypal on 1.5.5f, if not well obviously it does work. If it doesn't I'll try PHP 7.1 on his site first, and failing that I will have to suggest an upgrade to 1.5.7d.

Thanks for your help!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gsh68 View Post
    Actually the devs would love to do this. It's a question of competing priorities and time.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by swguy View Post
    Actually the devs would love to do this. It's a question of competing priorities and time.
    So will the current version of Paypal Website Payments Pro Return similar errors regarding 3D Secure on Zen Cart 1.5.7D?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by swguy View Post
    Is keeping Zen Cart up to date with one of the largest payment processors in the world not a priority?

Sorry to be a broken record but eventually even US card issuers will require 3DS and the WPP module will be obsolete. If ZC isn't compatible with Commerce long before then all European based store owners will have switched to a different cart that is compatible.
    Right now there isn't a credit card processing module for Zen Cart that will be compatible with 3DS from July when Square switch their libraries. While an update to that is being worked on, Commerce has cheaper cc processing fees and many will want to stay with Paypal due to the ease/speed of withdrawing funds.

Could the devs give an idea of when/if Paypal Commerce will be integrated so those of us affected have enough time to investigate our options?

Plugin Contributions

I'm agree with gsh68.

Payment module is one of the key functions in the Ecommerce platforms and it deserves top polarity. PayPal is one of the largest payment processing companies nowadays, no matter you love it or hate it. There are still lots of Zen Cart users using PayPal due to its lower fees, convenience of transfer, etc. If one day, Zen Cart PayPal module is not supported any more, I will have no choice but leave Zen Cart. Yes, it will be costly to leave this platform, because I need to learn a new platform from the beginning again. But without PayPal, I'm loosing money every second.