Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Paypal Customer Forced to Join Up

Hi,
    i have been trying to alter the paypal module so the customer has a choice to either pay via card, or login to paypal
    as i had it before the recent ZC update.

My paypal settings in the online Paypal account are set as the customer has a choice,
    but they are now being forced to create a Paypal account, this is losing me customers.

Paypal tech said the Paypal info from my site sends out from the module is set as "MARK" and not as "SOLE"
    so i opened the module to try to find where to modify it, but just can's see which one to change it to.

any pointers here would help a lot of other people, as there are no options in the paypal zencart settings for thnis to happen.

cheers very muchly.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Paypal Customer Forced to Join Up

Try disabling InContext Checkout in your admin->Modules->Payment->PayPal Express and see if it changes anything.

Plugin Contributions

In my travelings, I've found that , regardless of the method used, PayPal will trigger to make the option to not use them very hard to find.

Customers who used their own credit cards on a site with only PayPal stated that, all of a sudden, it looked as if they couldn't use their card. It was there but very well hidden.

As guess I can see their point that they want to make as much off the transaction as possilbe. I have not found any way to stop PayPal from arbitrarily flipping that switch.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    In my travelings, I've found that , regardless of the method used, PayPal will trigger to make the option to not use them very hard to find.

Customers who used their own credit cards on a site with only PayPal stated that, all of a sudden, it looked as if they couldn't use their card. It was there but very well hidden.

As guess I can see their point that they want to make as much off the transaction as possilbe. I have not found any way to stop PayPal from arbitrarily flipping that switch.

Hi there, thank you both for responding to this thread.
    It has literally taken me months to try to figure this out.

The in-context is already enabled and reset several times, yet again had a customer today said they will not buy
    becasue they don't want to sign up to Paypal.

The best lead i could find was the reply from Paypal Tech saying to change code within the module with,

• Sole — Buyer can check out without creating a PayPal account. This is referred to as PayPal Account Optional.
    • Mark — Buyer must have a PayPal account to check out.
    Note: You can pass Mark to selectively override the PayPal Account.

BUT i see there a loads of the instances of the work MARK within the module,
    i sent the code to Paypal tech, they said due to potential liabilites they would not do it,
    and to reach out to Zencart re the module, seems a very long winded way just to have one small setting so a customer does not have to to sign up to Paypal,
    the customer is always right, errrr, well some of the time anyway.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Footie1 View Post
    The in-context is already enabled and reset several times, yet again had a customer today said they will not buy
    becasue they don't want to sign up to Paypal.
    But it should be disabled... Does the problem occur when I context is *disabled*? Reason I'm asking this is because when disabled, you're submitting MARK to PayPal...

Plugin Contributions

hi,
    thanks again very much for your reply.

I had this in-context in the past disabled, but it had to be switched back on, as it reverts to the old classic checkout
    which was not allowing multi purchases, ie a customer sometimes buys over a 100 items from me in one go,
    and the cart had a limit, and could not handle it when transferreed to the Paypal website, but then i switched it back on.

I am sure the fix is within the zencart module as the Paypal tech guy said it would fix this issue of passing MARK to the final cart checkout.
    I am sure this would help every one else as well, hence posting here.

I wonder maybe if it is something to do with using Paypal.com or Paypal.co.uk, maybe there is a difference, i am in the UK.

cheers in advance.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by balihr View Post
    But it should be disabled... Does the problem occur when I context is *disabled*? Reason I'm asking this is because when disabled, you're submitting MARK to PayPal...
    OK, so... this happens when you try to reply from mobile... This is wrong!

PayPal is set to Sole by default, but when you enable InContext, it will automatically switch to Mark. Here's the code from paypalwpp.php on line1584:
    Code:
    $options['SOLUTIONTYPE'] = 'Sole';  // Use 'Mark' for normal Express Checkout (where customer has a PayPal account), 'Sole' for Account-Optional. But Account-Optional must be enabled in your PayPal account under Selling Preferences.

// PayPal has acknowledged that they have a bug which prevents Account-Optional from working in InContext mode, so we have to use 'Mark' for InContext to work as of Dec 2015:
        if ($this->use_incontext_checkout && $options['SOLUTIONTYPE'] == 'Sole') $options['SOLUTIONTYPE'] = 'Mark';
    I don't know anything about this bug, but it seems it's been here for awhile... You can try commenting the last line:
    Code:
    // if ($this->use_incontext_checkout && $options['SOLUTIONTYPE'] == 'Sole') $options['SOLUTIONTYPE'] = 'Mark';
    This would force Sole all the time. Give it a try and see if it helps.

Plugin Contributions

hi there, thanks for your very very helpful reply.

I am using paypal express, and the Paypal pro is the one that had issues with large orders.
    Am i editing the correct file,
    /httpdocs/includes/languages/english/modules/payment/paypal.php

there are three Paypal files.

paypal.php
    paypaldp.php
    paypalwpp.php
    hopefuly everyone who i have read the forum on re forced Paypal sign ups over the last few months
    sees this and helps them as well.

cheers.

Plugin Contributions

PayPal Express is paypalwpp.php, as mentioned earlier.
    PayPal Pro is paypaldp.php
    PayPal Payments Standard is paypal.php (which is a relic and I very much doubt anyone is still using)

So, you should be making your change in paypalwpp.php - please post back with an update if it worked for you.

Plugin Contributions

AHHHHHHHHH, i see what has happened here.

For one, i am on totally the wrong file path.
    i was looking at
    /httpdocs/includes/languages/english/modules/payment/paypal.php

it should be
    /httpdocs/includes/modules/payment/paypalwpp.php

i have now looked at the file, and it says not to change it to SOLE due to a Paypal bug, hmmm, i a bit lost now as what actually to do,
    as if i disable incontext, my customers can't do a multi big order, i think the limit only goes to about 25 items or so.
    because at least Paypal is working at teh moment as is, but it still forces a customer to join Paypal though.

$options['SOLUTIONTYPE'] = 'Sole'; // Use 'Mark' for normal Express Checkout (where customer has a PayPal account), 'Sole' for Account-Optional. But Account-Optional must be enabled in your PayPal account under Selling Preferences.

// PayPal has acknowledged that they have a bug which prevents Account-Optional from working in InContext mode, so we have to use 'Mark' for InContext to work as of Dec 2015:
    if ($this->use_incontext_checkout && $options['SOLUTIONTYPE'] == 'Sole') $options['SOLUTIONTYPE'] = 'Mark';

I think i might have to try something else as i can't fix it.
    i see there is an option of the new three button checkout Paypal/card/paypal credit,
    but i inserted a script file to make a call on page loading instead of in the head file,
    but again, i can't see the new paypal button on checkout, despite looking at the page source and i see the file was called on loading.

well, i think my brain hurts after 3 months trying, it should really be an easy option to tick for it to work.

i will have a think about what to do next.

i really really appreciated your input and time looking at this thread, hopefully someone picks up a solution,
    Paypal are quite happy to force customers to join, some bug eh.

cheers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast