Plugin Contributions

Default Moving website to another server on same host

v1.5.5F
    Server: Server OS: Linux s08ae.syd6.hostingplatform.net.au 3.10.0-962.3.2.lve1.5.64.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Dec 8 10:23:00 UTC 2021 x86_64

For those that know me you will know I am NOT technical and even less so when it comes to this sort of thing.

So I have the need to move a website from one hosting service to another hosting service on the same host company (consolidating accounts) - the domain name already sits with the new service (transferred in preparation for the move).

I have followed the process in this doc https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/insta...ers-and-timing . in this and some other FAQ's / posts on the subject I cannot find anything that says what needs to happen in respect to the following.

The issue I'm having is trying to uderstand what to do with the current hosted version of the site before doing the install on the new server using mydomain.comm/zc_install/index.php which when I attempt it returns a 404 error for the obvious reasons that a) the domain is hosted/live and b) the file zc_install/index.php doesn't exist on the hosted version.

So what am I missing - how can I install in the add-on domain of the same name on the new server when the domain is already hosted and live on another server? is it a DNS thing that needs to be modified temporarlily while I install?

I'm not getting anywhere with the supports at the host - they haven't come up with any solution after hours of live chat and eTickets etc.

The best I could come up with is in cPanel to create a Temporary Url in the new service, install using that url and then after changing DNS to this new install alter the configure files to the actual domain url - however this Temporary url applies specifically to the Primary Domain for the service by default which means changing the Primary Domain to the one I'm trying to install into which is anadd-on domain and is problematic (apparently) and I'd prefer not to go down that track.

Having said that, the primary domain does not have a website associated with it so I suppose I could build the new site in that domain then after it is done and before changing DNS I could copy it into the add-on domain where I want it - would that work? I can change the url details after installation right?

Any help will be appreciated.

cheers, Mike

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Moving website to another server on same host

This is quite confusing - can you describe the scenario using specific names like oldsite.com and newsite.com or something so we can visualize it more clearly?
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

It should be a provided service by your host. They can do it with mininmum hassle and down time. At least, they should.

Plugin Contributions

@shags38, does the site, per chance, use the Ceon URI Mappings? If so, make sure that the site's .htaccess (in the Ceon section) also includes the statements to disallow rewrite of the zc_install sub-directory.
    Code:
    # Don't rewrite zc_install directory
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/zc_install/ [NC]

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by swguy View Post
    This is quite confusing - can you describe the scenario using specific names like oldsite.com and newsite.com or something so we can visualize it more clearly?
    You're right Scott, it is a bit of a ramble - hopefully the following will clear it up a bit.

Both separate hosting accounts and their respective servers are with the SAME Host

Existing Server: Account A Server 1, domain: dazzlersharmonynecklace.com currently hosted in this account, (as the Primary Domain)
    Destination Server: Account B Server 2, is where I want the above domain to be hosted -
    the above domain dazzlersharmonynecklace.com itself is in this account (B) with nameservers directed to Server 1 (in Account A) where it is hosted.

So I uploaded the ZC v1.5.5F core files into an add-on domain (dazzlersharmonynecklace.com v2) in Server 2 and of course when using dazzlersharmonynecklace.com/zc_install/index.php the result was a 404 because the domain is currently hosted on Server 1 and live.

So am trying to establish what needs to be done to allow the installation in Server 2 to proceed seamlessly and still keep the site live in Server 1 (I'm not getting anywhere with the supports at the host - they haven't come up with any solution after hours of live chat and eTickets etc.)

I assume it would have something to do with the DNS but exactly what I'm not sure. If I change the DNS to point to the add-on domain in Server 2, simply to allow installation, then the live site in Server 1 will no longer be live which is problematic. If I could switch the DNS like a light switch for only a few minutes to allow installation and then back again after the install then that would be useful but my understanding is that DNS changes don't quite work that quickly?

So where I am at is either;

Method a) using the Temporary Url provision available for Server 2 which gives me a url to use for the install, so Temporary Url/zc_install/index.php .
    The Temporary Url is specific to the Primary Domain in Account B, Server 2 - thought was to install and build the site in this (UNUSED) Primary Domain and then after DNS change fordazzlersharmonynecklace.com from Server 1 to Server 2, I could change the configure.php files url from temporary url to dazzlersharmonynecklace.com - then copy the complete files and then load them into the add-on domain (folder) named dazzlersharmonynecklace.com .... which by rights will have the site working from the new server .... I have been trying this method today but am coming across security errors, 403 etc when using the temp url and the host techos can't fix it, well at least the one I dealt with, so " they're looking into it" ......or

Method b) - I have a number of unused/unpopulated add-on domains in Server 2 - I could use one of them in the same fashion as the above, same process - there would not be any DNS conflict. .... this one may be simpler than method a)

** Both the above methods rely on being able to change the urls in the configure files and have the sites still work? and the suitability of moving a ZC site from one folder in the root to another on the same server and having the site function properly without re-installing - i,e, copied from add-on domain1 and loaded into add-on domain2 - I assume this can be done??

Clear as mud, right? :)

So if you have any advice on the best way to go about it I would be grateful.

cheers,
    Mike

Plugin Contributions

I don't understand why you are trying to do an install process on server2.
    You just pack up the files and database on server1, disconnect the domain from server 1(likely terminate that account if the domain in question is the main domain on server1) and add it to server2, dump the files in the folder for the addon domain on server2 (adjust the paths in the config files, create an empty database, import the SQL file and again adjust the config files for the db connections. once the DNS propagates it should be working.

are you running the install process to create the config files? if you are you are wasting your time, just manually adjust the path and db connection info in the config files. and get on with your life. This thread has already taken longer than it would have taken to migrate the site between servers.

edit: additionally, if you are trying to figure out how to have zero downtime, not going to happen. There is some downtime in the middle, how long is based on your prep and abilities.
    Last edited by barco57; 23 Jul 2022 at 04:34 PM.
    Mike
    GeekHost - Zen Cart Certified & PCI Compliant Hosting
    The Zen Cart Forum...Better than a monitor covered with post-it notes!

Plugin Contributions

Mike, you seem to be over-complicating things... Or maybe it's the docs that are confusing - running a new install just so you get the two configure.php files seems a bit too much...

From what I understand, you simply want to move dazzlersharmonynecklace.com from server-1 (S1) to server-2 (S2). You can't have them running on both servers at the same time due to DNS so you'll simply have to be ready for some downtime.
    You can't run the install on S2 because the domain still points to S1. Using another domain name will generate different configure.php files so you'll end up having more to change in it, and you'll end up in a different directory so what's the point?

Here's what I would do:
    #1 - create an add-on domain on S2 (dazzlersharmonynecklace.com)
    #2 - zip ALL files from S1 (website related only, of course - this should be in the public_html directory)
    #3 - since I assume you can't use SSH to do a server-to-server transfer, simply download the new zip file to your computer and then upload it to S2 to the newly created folder of the add-on domain (this will probably be something like /home/accountname/dazzlersharmonynecklace.com/ )
    #4 - once uploaded, just unzip using cPanel's File Manager
    #5 - create a new database on S2 and add a new user, then assign that user to the new database with all privileges. Make sure you write down the username and password.
    #6 - edit both configure.php on S2 and enter the database name, username and password.
    #7 - while editing the configure.php files, change DIR_FS_CATALOG to what was mentioned in #3. You can easily see the Home directory path on the first page in cPanel and simply add the add-on domain name (use common sense)
    #8 - export and import the SQL database as described in the docs in step 3 and 5a-c-d (no b since it's a new empty database). You might encounter some problems here if the exported file is larger than your server's max upload size, but that's another story and quite easily fixable.
    #9 - change name servers to point to S2 and your site should go live as soon as propagation is complete.

Remember that you'll probably lose access to all of your old emails if you didn't download it locally, and you'll need to create the new email accounts on S2.

Plugin Contributions

See @balihr probably took more time to type that up all pretty than it would take to migrate the site
    Mike
    GeekHost - Zen Cart Certified & PCI Compliant Hosting
    The Zen Cart Forum...Better than a monitor covered with post-it notes!

Plugin Contributions

To add more tips into this, every server has an ip address. So... even though the domain name may not yet point to the new server, there should still be a way to access it.

Bottom line, pick something, know what is different about the chosen method compared to the expected method and account for it.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Many thanks to all who responded to my query and for your advice/comments.

when I read this from barco57 the penny dropped;
    if you are trying to figure out how to have zero downtime, not going to happen
    I was trying to achieve the improbable, zero downtime.

So now accepting that there will be downtime I can approach this differently / rationally, with lots of prep to minimize downtime.

again many thanks for your responses, the support I get in here and have had for many years now is terrific - sorry if I wasted anyone's time.

cheers, Mike