Thread: localhost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default localhost

I am trying to install ZC in a local LAMP server.
    I am using the Debian distro latest version (11, name bullseye), Debian attempts to make things easy with metapackages I installed one called task-web-server.
    If I type localhost in my browser I get the Debian document, so it works.
    I have reading the Zen Cart Manual by Richard Underwood which relies heavily on Windows and Cpanel, so not very useful.
    Problem is: I need to create database and user first to install ZC, I am trying to do so with php my admin, but it fails because it asks for password for administrative user, which I have not created yet, so how to proceed?
    PS: I am an old user, but have been away for a long time, I am old and sick so I got a brain fart, please be kind.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: localhost

Quote Originally Posted by ckosloff View Post
    I am trying to install ZC in a local LAMP server.
    I am using the Debian distro latest version (11, name bullseye), Debian attempts to make things easy with metapackages I installed one called task-web-server.
    If I type localhost in my browser I get the Debian document, so it works.
    I have reading the Zen Cart Manual by Richard Underwood which relies heavily on Windows and Cpanel, so not very useful.
    Problem is: I need to create database and user first to install ZC, I am trying to do so with php my admin, but it fails because it asks for password for administrative user, which I have not created yet, so how to proceed?
    PS: I am an old user, but have been away for a long time, I am old and sick so I got a brain fart, please be kind.
    if you have installed phpmyadmin on a bullseye LAMP server already, bravo!

the foregoing statement means you have already successfully installed mysql. so now it is a question of resetting your root password (else do a google search for default mysql root password, actually the default is none!)

if the default password does not work, you will need to stop the mysql service, and do a bunch of stuff. all of which looks to be contained in this link.

once you can login with root, you can then add users, create databases, and the like.

i would think for this base sort of stuff operating on the command line might be better, but my opinion is biased.

i hope that was kind enough for you... it's about as kind as i get!
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Plugin Contributions

No, phpmyadmin did not install correctly because apparently I need to create a DB and user first, set passwords, etc. Got tons of errors. Cannot install in my localhost, please help.

Plugin Contributions

.this link might help on setting up a lamp stack on Debian 11.
    Mark Brittain
    http:\\innerlightcrystals.co.uk\sales\

Plugin Contributions

Problem here is that there is no mysql-server in Debian repo, apparently it has been replaced by MariaDB, should I install that?

Plugin Contributions

The links and commands don't work on Debian 11, mysql commands take me to MariaDB, so I suppose that was installed by metapackage task-web-server

Plugin Contributions

SOLVED!!
    Followed instructions here:
    https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/spectrum...d-mysqlmariadb
    This was posted in wrong thread, my apologies.

Plugin Contributions

if you have problems with phpMyadmin, i would recommend adminer.

very easy to install. it is just 1 file.

if you choose to go that route, i can provide code where you do not need your credentials to login. it is tied to your zc admin credentials.

i find it much easier for doing local development as installing phpMyadmin can be challenging.
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Re: localhost

Quote Originally Posted by carlwhat View Post
    if you have problems with phpMyadmin, i would recommend adminer.

very easy to install. it is just 1 file.

if you choose to go that route, i can provide code where you do not need your credentials to login. it is tied to your zc admin credentials.

i find it much easier for doing local development as installing phpMyadmin can be challenging.
    I would be glad to use adminer, I solved the problem with phpmyadmin so I think that I could log into adminer with same credentials.
    In fact I prefer it since I am planning to buy a droplet from Digital Ocean and install same Debian 11 that I use at home for development, it is much easier to backup databases with it.
    I have the latest file, now I have to copy it to html directory, which at the moment is not writable, I am now figuring out how to make it writable without compromising security.
    I used adminer in the past, but a long time has passed and I have a brain fart.

Plugin Contributions

I hope this thread will work as guidance for Linux users who like the command line. Real men don't use Windows and Cpanel, regretfully most of the installation tutorials are written for these users, including the implementation guide in Zen Cart docs, just pandering to the crowd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast