Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

bug RE: Shopping cart error "Read Only option type - Ignore for Add to Cart" option oN

Zen cart v1.5.8
    PHP Version: 8.1.12 (Zend: 4.1.12)

I have multiple Display only attribute for each product.

I turn on "Read Only option type - Ignore for Add to Cart" option in Attribute Settings, put this product in shopping cart, then gets error message stating

" Please update your order.
    ... Invalid Option Values Selected"
    These are display only attributes not selectable by customers. Why this renders an error?

To avoid this error, I turn "Read Only option type - Ignore for Add to Cart" switch off, However, this disables the add-to-cart quantity box in the product listing, but gives "...more info" link instead.

So, my goal is this:

I want to keep the add-to-cart quantity box in the product listing, while avoid showing Display only attributes in shopping cart.

Any ideas?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Shopping cart error "Read Only option type - Ignore for Add to Cart" option oN

Why do you have multiple read-only attributes?
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Shopping cart error "Read Only option type - Ignore for Add to Cart" option oN

I have a series of products which share the most specifications except a couple of parameters (attributes). I decided to use the attributes function for sorting and categorizing purposes instead of the product description.

Plugin Contributions

Are the *only* attributes you have for this product read-only? If you have non read-only attributes, then you can't add from the listing page.

You can add to the listing page if there's a single valued attribute that's a default, but you might be exceeding this with multiple values.
    I don't think I've ever seen anyone use the configuration you are describing.

Plugin Contributions

According to Zencart documentation,
    https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/admin...es_controller/

Attributes can be used For Display Purposes Only - attribute cannot be selected and added to cart. Therefore, these values are not necessary in shopping cart or should not be validated when putting in the cart, correct?

Plugin Contributions

Prior to 1.5.7, having *any* attributes would prevent add-to-cart from the listing page.

A fix was added into 1.5.7 so that if a product had a single valued attribute with a default value, an add to cart could be done.
    But this might get mixed up when multiple read-only attributes are present. I'm not sure, this is just a hypothesis.

If add to cart from the listing page is super important to you, get rid of the attributes. Otherwise, someone is going to have to debug your specific configuration.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by icemint View Post
    Zen cart v1.5.8
    PHP Version: 8.1.12 (Zend: 4.1.12)

I have multiple Display only attribute for each product.

I turn on "Read Only option type - Ignore for Add to Cart" option in Attribute Settings, put this product in shopping cart, then gets error message stating

These are display only attributes not selectable by customers. Why this renders an error?

To avoid this error, I turn "Read Only option type - Ignore for Add to Cart" switch off, However, this disables the add-to-cart quantity box in the product listing, but gives "...more info" link instead.

So, my goal is this:

I want to keep the add-to-cart quantity box in the product listing, while avoid showing Display only attributes in shopping cart.

Any ideas?
    The issue here is that the attributes are incorrectly "assigned". What it really sounds like what you want to do is to display this "attribute" information as read only attributes, not display only.

This can be resolved by changing the type of option name that these attributes are by use of the option names manager. Change them to a read only type. More can be seen or read here: https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/admin...an-option-name

The display only attribute setting in the attributes controller is to make a selection list have information that can only be displayed, but not selected in association with adding a product to the shopping cart. Normally it is used as a default option so that a customer is forced to select one of the other options on purpose instead of accepting whatever first popped up. For example if only a listing of small, medium and large was displayed, if the default was small, then chances are customers will return a product frequently because they didn't realize that there were other available options and small doesn't fit. But, if the default was something like: please select the appropriate size and it was marked as display only, then if that remained the selection they would be notified that they should select the appropriate size and have to go back.

Also note, the setting you referred to relates to read only option type. Display only and read only are not the same thing. They may seem to translate to the same idea, but a lot and I mean a lot has gone into the choice of words and the results of effects of the associated settings.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

This can be resolved by changing the type of option name that these attributes are by use of the option names manager. Change them to a read only type. More can be seen or read here: https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/admin...an-option-name
    I only have Read Only option type for the error causing products, have not mixed with any dropdown. I have added a multiple (about 6 or more) lines of Read Only values for each product. This causes equivalent lines of the error.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by icemint View Post
    I only have Read Only option type for the error causing products, have not mixed with any dropdown. I have added a multiple (about 6 or more) lines of Read Only values for each product. This causes equivalent lines of the error.
    And those read only types are then marked as display only in the attributes controller? They shouldn't be marked as display only.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Great, no error message when Read only types + Display only opted out.

Now, I don't want to see the Read only options and values shown with items customers put in the cart. Why? Because these options are for information only, quite long, and not necessary. Could this be achievable?

Thank you for your input!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast