Plugin Contributions

Default New site, says category with subs cannot add product

Hi, im setting up a new site (1.5.8) since our current one runs php7.4 and we need a better platform. I was adding categories and subs and noticed in the lower right corner it says "NOTE: Category has SubCategories, Products cannot be added". Is this true? I don't even have any products added yet but I was hoping products could be shown even if a category has subs??

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: New site, says category with subs cannot add product

Products need to be in their own categories, so if a category has sub-categories you need to add products to one of the sub-categories as the product's master-category. The storefront will "get confused" otherwise.

That's been a requirement of Zen Cart as long as I've been with them, it's just with zc158 that the admin-messaging (thankfully) was added.

Plugin Contributions

thanks, another ?, i want to limit access to a category, can I limit it to a certain customer group?

Plugin Contributions

it's best to ask new questions in new threads with appropriate titles. - that way people who know the answer to this question (but not the first) will see them).

There is nothing built in; you'd have to add code. You can look at plugins like Hidecategories to see if they meet your needs.
    https://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=254
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lat9 View Post
    Products need to be in their own categories, so if a category has sub-categories you need to add products to one of the sub-categories as the product's master-category. The storefront will "get confused" otherwise.

That's been a requirement of Zen Cart as long as I've been with them, it's just with zc158 that the admin-messaging (thankfully) was added.
    Further the historical reason for this has been related to the design and implementation of sales on products (not to be confused with specials). The front end is also designed around this concept.

As to the admin side, yes a version or two ago, though it was possible in the admin for both product and a category to exist in a category even if disabled, a change was made to prevent creating that condition. There had always as far as I could remember been "difficulty" in creating a product in a category with categories, including words that said a product couldn't be added directly to that category. (Moved to it perhaps, but not created in it)
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

thanks for the replies but im deciding not to use ZC, we sell mostly shoes and all the sizes have to be their own sku (model) and it seems too much work to handle.

Plugin Contributions

Before you give up, look at this link:
    https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/runni...-variant-stock
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

thanks, not giving up yet. although now i'll have to start spending $$ to get things going. Still figuring out how i would export my orders with those order attributes.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dougrun View Post
    thanks, not giving up yet. although now i'll have to start spending $$ to get things going. Still figuring out how i would export my orders with those order attributes.
    And its sad that the only reference to doing something like that from this open source product is to a commercial product... Very disappointing that the responder giving that link is one of the controllers of that content and of this entire project who specifically updated that content and included it: https://github.com/zencart/documenta...7fb539e0a4328e

There is an open source module that offers some of the same features. It has been improved upon as issues and interests have been expressed. It is called Stock By Attributes and offers the ability to have individual model data as identified necessary.

Github link to SBA is: https://github.com/mc12345678/Stock_...butes_Combined
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    And its sad that the only reference to doing something like that from this open source product is to a commercial product... Very disappointing that the responder giving that link is one of the controllers of that content and of this entire project who specifically updated that content and included it: https://github.com/zencart/documenta...7fb539e0a4328e

There is an open source module that offers some of the same features. It has been improved upon as issues and interests have been expressed. It is called Stock By Attributes and offers the ability to have individual model data as identified necessary.

Github link to SBA is: https://github.com/mc12345678/Stock_...butes_Combined
    its also very sad that this open source project was not able to somehow monetize contributions from talented coders so that they can continue their work and make things better.

and when i looked at the reference, it was to a zen-cart docs page that did, in fact, have a reference to an opensource project of which you are the author.

if you do not like the docs page, and the position of your contribution on the page, i would recommend a PR.

best.
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.