Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Yearly Membership for free shipping

ZC 1.5.7
    Bootstrap Template with OPC

I looked into the "membership" and "subscription" but i got somehow lost in translation and thought I would be easier to post a more specific question.

Here is what I am looking for:

How can a customer buy a yearly subscription so they can have free shipping on any products?

Per say, it would be kind of like a "amazon prime membership" buton a yearly basis instead of monthly.

Did anyone setup something like that ? I could use some pointers or maybe there is a plugin. I looked at the "group discount" but i am not entirely sure
    how to set it in order to accomplish my " prime membership"

Thank you for your help

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Yearly Membership for free shipping

Are you 100% sure you want to offer that? Especially as a one year commitment?

A few years ago I had built a plugin for that exact same purpose for one of my clients, but for a monthly subscription. He had it running for about 4-5 months before cancelling it because he ended up losing too much money - people started placing $5-$10 orders every few days, resulting in 15-20 orders per month per customer. At the end of the month, profit from those orders plus membership combined wasn't even close to the shipping costs for them...

If you're absolutely sure you want to go that way, I'll try to dig it out from my archives and share it, but you'll need to update it yourself since it was built for 1.5.3 IIRC.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by balihr View Post
    Are you 100% sure you want to offer that? Especially as a one year commitment?

A few years ago I had built a plugin for that exact same purpose for one of my clients, but for a monthly subscription. He had it running for about 4-5 months before cancelling it because he ended up losing too much money - people started placing $5-$10 orders every few days, resulting in 15-20 orders per month per customer. At the end of the month, profit from those orders plus membership combined wasn't even close to the shipping costs for them...

If you're absolutely sure you want to go that way, I'll try to dig it out from my archives and share it, but you'll need to update it yourself since it was built for 1.5.3 IIRC.
    Thank you balihr for the prompt reply.

I am willing to give a try and go from there. My situation is a bit different as we only charge a flat delivery fee and only offer local delivery. My idea is more intended for our "business" customer who use our services 2 or 3 times a month. The concept is more like: " hey , pay the membership and you get free delivery when you need our service" or kind of hooking them up so they don t use a competitor. I may even look into some kind of reward program if it exist. Hope it makes sense.

I do understand the risk and i may have to limit the number of orders per membership year or something similar to that if it is possible.

Could you please share your "mod"? I will get it installed on a test site , go from there and see if it is a good fit.

I am not a coder so getting it up to date may be a challenge and may need some help along the way.

Thank you in advance for your help and sharing your work.

Plugin Contributions

No problem, I'll get it ready over the weekend and will share.

Plugin Contributions

That would be awesome. Looking forward to it. Thank you

Plugin Contributions

OK, so... I found the old mod, but it was quite obsolete so I decided to build it from scratch. Didn't really have much time over the weekend so I had left out some stuff that I wanted to add, but the basic functionality is there... You can follow this link for the official support thread and to download it once it's approved. If you don't want to wait, you can grab it from my website (here).

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by balihr View Post
    OK, so... I found the old mod, but it was quite obsolete so I decided to build it from scratch. Didn't really have much time over the weekend so I had left out some stuff that I wanted to add, but the basic functionality is there... You can follow this link for the official support thread and to download it once it's approved. If you don't want to wait, you can grab it from my website (here).
    oh wow. Thank you balihr. i really appreciate you taking the time to rebuild the mod. I will run it on my local site and report on theofficial thread as we go

Thanks again