Plugin Contributions

Default Dns-prefetch question

I HATE CLOUDFLARE. WHY DO WE NEED TO USE CLOUDFLARE?

<link rel="dns-prefetch" href="https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com">

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Dns-prefetch question

Not sure why you hate Cloudflare so much, but cdnjs is the industry leader for serving libraries for websites.

In case of v1.5.8, it's only used to provide you with FontAwesome. If your template isn't using FA, you can comment the line out, as well as the line that actually loads FA.
    You always have the option to host your own copy of the same file, but serving it from a CDN means better performance and reduced page load time so it's considered better practice.
    In fact, all static content (css, js and images) would be better off served from a CDN, but this requires quite a few modifications to the core code and I still haven't seen a ready-made solution for it...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by balihr View Post
    Not sure why you hate Cloudflare so much, but cdnjs is the industry leader for serving libraries for websites.

In case of v1.5.8, it's only used to provide you with FontAwesome. If your template isn't using FA, you can comment the line out, as well as the line that actually loads FA.
    You always have the option to host your own copy of the same file, but serving it from a CDN means better performance and reduced page load time so it's considered better practice.
    In fact, all static content (css, js and images) would be better off served from a CDN, but this requires quite a few modifications to the core code and I still haven't seen a ready-made solution for it...
    Thats a pretty big assumption that cloudflare will load it faster than my own server.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by pixelpadre View Post
    Thats a pretty big assumption that cloudflare will load it faster than my own server.
    It all depends on whether other sites that a visiting customer has also loaded the cloudflare files as well.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lat9 View Post
    It all depends on whether other sites that a visiting customer has also loaded the cloudflare files as well.
    Yeh Im not buying that theory that a visitor already downloaded once before from cloudflare. If they are depending on that scenario then they further support my assertion that cloudflare is only in it for the money. My page load grades from google are 95-98.. I think I will pass on using cloudflare. It could only lower my grades in my humble opinion. Not sure why ZC team thought that they needed to meddle in this situation. Please go back to the way it was before. You are assuming that cloudflare is always going to be up and fighting for ZC. Thats a big assumption. Putting all of your eggs for all of your users in one basket is a big risk. What happens if they have a major outage or start charging or get taken over, all possibilities that in the long run will have the ZC team scrambling to fix it. In my world, its just bad to depend on anyone else these days.

Plugin Contributions

just change it if you don't like it...open source, do what you want with it
    Mike
    GeekHost - Zen Cart Certified & PCI Compliant Hosting
    The Zen Cart Forum...Better than a monitor covered with post-it notes!