Plugin Contributions

Default thinking of moving away from Zen cart

Hi everyone , Ive used Zen for maybe 15 years now and have come to the end of needing to use a shop on my web site as have gone into another direction !
    Im concerned that using another web site like Wix for example or Wordpress will affect my SEO as some words Im pretty much top and I dont want to loose this. Has anyone any experience , of this move and managed it without any detrimental effect ?
    Many thanks to Zen for the use of this brilliant package !
    Ste

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: thinking of moving away from Zen cart

Changing platforms will tank your rankings if you don't have proper redirects in place. It can take a very long time to get them back! So make sure from day 1 you have a 301 redirect from the old page to the new page for every ranked page. You only get 1 chance to get it right, and even in that case some decrease in rankings can still be expected.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Steeveef View Post
    Hi everyone , Ive used Zen for maybe 15 years now and have come to the end of needing to use a shop on my web site as have gone into another direction !
    Im concerned that using another web site like Wix for example or Wordpress will affect my SEO as some words Im pretty much top and I dont want to loose this. Has anyone any experience , of this move and managed it without any detrimental effect ?
    Many thanks to Zen for the use of this brilliant package !
    Ste

CONGRATULATIONS on using Zen for 15 years!
    The way things are going it may take me that long just to get this thing working!
    I have used several editors and tried half a dozen times to modify my home page, the template which is so cluttered even I don't like to look at it, let alone try to find something to buy.
    No matter what I do, including eliminating and renaming the main_page, it comes up the same way every time.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by csrabus View Post
    CONGRATULATIONS on using Zen for 15 years!
    The way things are going it may take me that long just to get this thing working!
    I have used several editors and tried half a dozen times to modify my home page, the template which is so cluttered even I don't like to look at it, let alone try to find something to buy.
    No matter what I do, including eliminating and renaming the main_page, it comes up the same way every time.
    You've used the Define Page Editor under Admin - Tools to edit the main page?

Plugin Contributions

@csrabus please create a new thread if you want help on your issue. This thread is for the issue that @steevef has raised.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Support
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

thanks , obviously my main issue is the rankings . Ill probably leave as is for the time being , but its the upgrades I simply do not have time to do anymore :-|

Plugin Contributions

Even with redirects there will be a period where you're very "tanked", then some recovery. However, not all, as there is a measure of decay in redirects that has to come back naturally over time.
    ~Melanie
    PRO-Webs, Inc. :: Recent Zen Cart Projects :: Zen Cart SEO – 12 Steps to Success
    **I answer questions in the forum, private messages are NOT answered. You are welcome to contact us via our website for professional engagements.