Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Instructions in docs don't work

Quote Originally Posted by lat9 View Post
    First, you should not be editing the 'base' file (the directions need to be updated). You should copy /includes/languages/lang.index.php to your template override version (/includes/language/YOUR_TEMPLATE/lang.index.php and then make the edits.

Here's what I've done for a client:
    Code:
    <?php
    $define = [
    /*
        'TEXT_GREETING_GUEST' => 'Welcome <span class="greetUser">Guest!</span> Would you like to <a href="%s">log yourself in</a>?',
        'TEXT_GREETING_GUEST_SHOWCASE' => 'Welcome, please enjoy our online showcase.',
        'TEXT_GREETING_PERSONAL' => 'Hello <span class="greetUser">%s</span>! Would you like to see our <a href="%s">newest additions</a>?',
        'TEXT_INFORMATION' => 'Define your main Index page copy here.',
        'TEXT_NO_PRODUCTS' => 'There are no products to list in this category.',
        'TEXT_NO_PRODUCTS2' => 'There is no product available from this manufacturer.',
        'TEXT_NUMBER_OF_PRODUCTS' => 'Number of Products: ',
        'TEXT_SHOW' => 'Filter Results by:',
        'TEXT_BUY' => 'Buy 1 \'',
        'TEXT_NOW' => '\' now',
        'HEADING_TITLE_PRODUCTS' => 'Available Products',
    */
        'HEADING_TITLE' => 'Welcome to Our Site!',
        'HEADING_TITLE_NESTED' => 'Welcome to Our Site!',
    ];

return $define;

Agreed that the correct method is to copy over the base file.
    I did the incorrect method of editing both files, no problem I will not edit base file in live site, just update the one in template.
    That is the reason I use a test site so I can make mistakes without editing directly live.
    Anyway, thank you seniora vinos, it worked!
    CK

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ckosloff View Post
    Agreed that the correct method is to copy over the base file.
    I did the incorrect method of editing both files, no problem I will not edit base file in live site, just update the one in template.
    That is the reason I use a test site so I can make mistakes without editing directly live.
    Anyway, thank you seniora vinos, it worked!
    CK
    If that is the case, why the report earlier that had changed both files but still saw no change in response? Better yet. Next time you go to make a change in a language file and you think to yourself, I had a problem with that one before. Let me go look at what I wrote about. Do you think you have given yourself enough information in this thread to help yourself not have the same issue? Can you read through the thread, figure out what the cause of your problem was and how you were able to figure out a solution and specifically what the problem and solution were?
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by swguy View Post
    What exactly happened? I like to document common failure paths so people can figure out how to recover.

Nothing, disregard, I am now an old fart.

Plugin Contributions

There is tremendous value to @mc12345678's suggestions. Why?

- The exact same thing might happen to you again, and it would be good to have a record of what you did to fix it.
    - The exact same thing could happen to *someone else*, and again, it would be good to have a record of how to fix it.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Support
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by swguy View Post
    What exactly happened? I like to document common failure paths so people can figure out how to recover.
    Nothing don't worry, lat 9 showed that wrong file was being edited manually.
    Thanks for caring for Zen Cart, I am a free software fan.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    If that is the case, why the report earlier that had changed both files but still saw no change in response? Better yet. Next time you go to make a change in a language file and you think to yourself, I had a problem with that one before. Let me go look at what I wrote about. Do you think you have given yourself enough information in this thread to help yourself not have the same issue? Can you read through the thread, figure out what the cause of your problem was and how you were able to figure out a solution and specifically what the problem and solution were?
    I changed both files but missed to refresh browser and see changes, stupid mistake.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ckosloff View Post
    I changed both files but missed to refresh browser and see changes, stupid mistake.
    We all do it. Wish I could point to the times I have done the same and gotten help to realize it was a PIC (Person-In-Chair) problem. :)

Try your best to make things work in standard fashion unless you have a true business need to do something special. That will allow you to focus on making money instead of having lots of work arounds.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    We all do it. Wish I could point to the times I have done the same and gotten help to realize it was a PIC (Person-In-Chair) problem. :)

Try your best to make things work in standard fashion unless you have a true business need to do something special. That will allow you to focus on making money instead of having lots of work arounds.
    I never think on complicating things and I really need to make money out of my new endeavor with e-commerce, not new just rehashed, I decided to delve deeper into permissions because it wasn't working for me, not 777 or 755, likewise I think that I will not use EZ pages because it is easier for me to use Writer the editor, provided by Libre Office in my Linux distro, which allows to create sections and chapters, and then export to PDF format.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12