Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default What's next after customization?

I have completed first steps and cuatomization of site.
    Understood presentation of categories and products.
    Hove the providers ready, have products weight and price.
    Now comes the practical part and I am at a loss: I need shipment modules, payment modules, understanding how weight factors in final order total, how to test zencart email (probably by a transaction to myself).
    Where to atart?
    Thank you,
    CK

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: What's next after customization?

shipment modules
    There are stock shipping modules, which I highly recommend (https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/shipping/shipping/). Or you can add things like UPS, USPS etc, however, then you play by their rules & APIs. So if UPS is responding slowly with quotes for example, people cannot checkout.

payment modules
    The easiest by far is Square, which is built in =), as well as PayPal.

understanding how weight factors in final order total
    This is complicated because all of the carriers use DIM weight, not raw weight like Zen Cart. Generally I urge folks to fashion a table, preferably with a free shipping level. You will never be right on the money no matter what you choose. Also look in to tare settings (https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/shipp...ulations/#tare). Test, check, test and check some more.

how to test zencart email (probably by a transaction to myself).
    Yep, to more than one email address if possible. Also, make sure to set up SMTP to lower the spam score of these emails (https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/email..._smtp_servers/).

~Melanie
    PRO-Webs, Inc. :: Recent Zen Cart Projects :: Zen Cart SEO – 12 Steps to Success
    **I answer questions in the forum, private messages are NOT answered. You are welcome to contact us via our website for professional engagements.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mprough View Post
    payment modules
    ~Melanie
    The latest version of Square Web Payments is not built in to 1.5.8a and somewhat difficult to find in the plugins.
    https://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=2345 for the plugin and https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/payment/square/ for the docs.

Plugin Contributions

shipment modules
    There are stock shipping modules, which I highly recommend (https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/shipping/shipping/). Or you can add things like UPS, USPS etc, however, then you play by their rules & APIs. So if UPS is responding slowly with quotes for example, people cannot checkout.

payment modules

understanding how weight factors in final order total
    This is complicated because all of the carriers use DIM weight, not raw weight like Zen Cart. Generally I urge folks to fashion a table, preferably with a free shipping level. You will never be right on the money no matter what you choose. Also look in to tare settings (https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/shipp...ulations/#tare). Test, check, test and check some more.

how to test zencart email (probably by a transaction to myself).
    Yep, to more than one email address if possible. Also, make sure to set up SMTP to lower the spam score of these emails (https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/email..._smtp_servers/).

~Melanie
    Do you mean the Ship Station module?
    Thanks for detailed response.
    Have no idea what DIM weight might be, I get the weight from distributor in ounces.
    Cheers, lass
    CK
    Last edited by ckosloff; 6 Jun 2023 at 07:45 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Shipstation is not for shipping quotes, it's for fulfillment.

Thanks for detailed response.
    No problem

Have no idea what DIM weight might be, I get the weight from distributor in ounces.
    To calculate dimensional (DIM) weight, multiply the length, width, and height of a package, using the longest point on each side. Then, divide the cubic size of the package in inches by the DIM divisor to calculate the dimensional weight in pounds.

~melanie
    PRO-Webs, Inc. :: Recent Zen Cart Projects :: Zen Cart SEO – 12 Steps to Success
    **I answer questions in the forum, private messages are NOT answered. You are welcome to contact us via our website for professional engagements.

Plugin Contributions

Found out about DIM, it means dimensional weight: https://www.ricelake.com/dimensionin...-landing-page/
    Now there is another question, how does distance from point of origin factor in?

Plugin Contributions

Plugin Contributions

Shipstation is not for shipping quotes, it's for fulfillment.
    ~melanie
    OK, fulfillment would come after the quote,
    What is used for quote?
    I believe DIM divisor is 139, right?
    Cheers,
    CK

Plugin Contributions

To calculate dimensional (DIM) weight, multiply the length, width, and height of a package, using the longest point on each side. Then, divide the cubic size of the package in inches by the DIM divisor to calculate the dimensional weight in pounds.
    ~melanie
    I don't understand the relationship between the weight of the content and the size of package, same package will weigh differently according to weight of contents.
    Please clarify.
    And then there is the distance to factor in.
    Thank you,
    CK

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ckosloff View Post
    I don't understand the relationship between the weight of the content and the size of package, same package will weigh differently according to weight of contents...
    dimensional weight refers to a minimum weight per box size. carriers will require a minimum weight per box size. if the weight of the package is greater than the dim weight, then the carrier will use the actual weight. if it weighs less, the carrier uses the dim weight.

if you are shipping heavy items, ie liquids, lead, glass, etc, i would not worry about dim weight. if you are shipping light items, ie, down comforters, plastics, bike wheels (which take up a big size), then dim weight is something you should worry about.

distance comes into play based on the weight of the package; and again the weight of the package is the greater of the actual weight and calculated dimensional weight.
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast