Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Home Page NOT INDEXED in Google (previously was) - need some help please

v157.b
    site https://www.cliponearrings.net.au

site resolves as expected, no issues, currently 686 pages are indexed for the site (importantly all products, articles etc.) EXCEPT the home page url (domain) - there are no manual actions or Security issues in Google Search Console - Google returns a 404 page not found

Google suggests either a robots text *noindex is in place OR there is a noindex instruction in the header as the reason for not being able to index the url

If Indexing allowed? is "No", that means your site is returning a "noindex" tag or header that prevents Google from indexing the page and showing it in Google Search results. You'll have to remove this tag or header from the page before Google will index it.
    The robots.txt does not have any noindex instruction in it BUT when viewing Page Source it shows this
    <meta name="robots" content="noindex, nofollow" />
    (see below) - this does NOT show on any other page on the site (hence 686 pages are indexed) this may be the culprit but have no idea why that instruction content would be there?

So needless to say I am stumped in respect to how to resolve this - can anyone offer some insight as to where I should look / what the issue is?

thanks in advance,
    Mike

this means no backlinks to that domain url are being recognised and the site is not showing in search at all including site: search

HTML Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html>
    <html dir="ltr" lang="en">
      <head>
    <!-- Google tag (gtag.js) -->
    <script async src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtag/js?id=G-390611117"></script>
    <script>
        window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || [];
        function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);}
        gtag('js', new Date());
        gtag('config', 'G-390611117');
    </script>
      <meta charset="utf-8">
      <title>Clip on Earrings | Australia | Clip Earrings</title>
      <meta name="keywords" content="earrings,clip on earrings,clip earrings,clip-on earrings,australia" />
      <meta name="description" content="Dazzlers clip on earrings offers the best range of quality clip earrings in Australia for non pierced ears with great prices and great customer service" />
      <meta name="author" content="Clip On Earrings" />
      <meta name="generator" content="shopping cart program by Zen Cart&reg;, https://www.zen-cart.com eCommerce" />
      <meta name="robots" content="noindex, nofollow" />

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1, user-scalable=yes"/>

<base href="https://www.cliponearrings.net.au/" />
      <link rel="canonical" href="https://www.cliponearrings.net.au/" />
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	URL-Inspection.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	20372
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	URL-Inspection (1).jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	20373

robots.txt
    User-agent: *
    Sitemap: https://www.cliponearrings.net.au/sitemapindex.xml
    Disallow:

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Home Page NOT INDEXED in Google (previously was) - need some help please

have you tried with disabled robots.txt?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Home Page NOT INDEXED in Google (previously was) - need some help please

searching Developers Tool Kit I get this result - the only result;
    /home/dazzlers/cliponearrings.net.au/dazzlers/login.php
    Line # 70 : <meta name="robots" content="noindex, nofollow"/>

deleting that line does not change anything - not that I expected it to but am willing to try anything.

site host could not find anything their end that would create this issue

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for replying - yep, made no difference

Plugin Contributions

Do you have a robots.txt in your main folder?

Plugin Contributions

The robots meta tag is set by this code in \includes\templates\YOUR_TEMPLATE\common\html_header.php
    PHP Code:
    <?php if (defined('ROBOTS_PAGES_TO_SKIP') && in_array($current_page_base,explode(",",constant('ROBOTS_PAGES_TO_SKIP'))) || $current_page_base=='down_for_maintenance' || $robotsNoIndex === true) { ?>
      <meta name="robots" content="noindex, nofollow" />
    <?php ?>
    Do you have those lines?

Edit: If you do, what is the content of the ROBOTS_PAGES_TO_SKIP define at the bottom of \includes\languages\english\YOUR_TEMPLATE\meta_tags.php
    Last edited by simon1066; 4 Sep 2023 at 11:24 AM.
    Simon

Plugin Contributions

Hello Simon,

many thanks for responding - yes those lines are present - this is the content of the ROBOTS_PAGES_TO_SKIP define at the bottom of \includes\languages\english\YOUR_TEMPLATE\meta_tags.php

HTML Code:
    // Define which pages to tell robots/spiders not to index
    // This is generally used for account-management pages or typical SSL pages, and usually doesn't need to be touched.
      define('ROBOTS_PAGES_TO_SKIP','login,logoff,create_account,account,account_edit,account_history,account_history_info,account_newsletters,account_notifications,account_password,address_book,advanced_search,advanced_search_result,checkout_success,checkout_process,checkout_shipping,checkout_payment,checkout_confirmation,cookie_usage,create_account_success,contact_us,download,download_timeout,customers_authorization,down_for_maintenance,password_forgotten,time_out,unsubscribe,info_shopping_cart,gv_faq,gv_redeem,gv_send,popup_image,popup_image_additional,product_reviews_write,ssl_check,shopping_cart,no_account,order_status');
    So I did put the site into 'down for maintenance' a while back when installing a new program update - is it at all within the realms of possibility that when that was turned off afterwards that it for some reason or other did not remove the problematic line from the header??

cheers,
    Mike

Plugin Contributions

in Page Source I have noticed a difference between one other 1.5.7b site and this problematic one - it is in the Structred Data script whereby the i.d. (domain name) is missing as well as a couple of other elements (see below).

Clutching at straws as the script is below the <meta name="robots" content="noindex, nofollow" /> which the bot would read first then exit - but trying anything at this stage.

There seems to me to be a 'rogue' file corrupting the header - problem is how to isolate it?

HTML Code:
    treeoflifejewellery.com (v1.5.7b)

<script title="Structured Data: schemaBreadcrumb" type="application/ld+json">
    {
           "@context": "http://schema.org",
              "@type": "BreadcrumbList",
    "itemListElement": [
          {
          "@type": "ListItem",
       "position": 1,
           "item": {
               "@id": "https://www.treeoflifejewellery.com/",
              "name": "Home"
                   }
           }
                        ]
    }
    </script>

##########_

cliponearrings.net.au

<script title="Structured Data: schemaBreadcrumb" type="application/ld+json">
    {
           "@context": "http://schema.org",
              "@type": "BreadcrumbList",
    "itemListElement": [

]
    }
    </script>

Plugin Contributions

Not tooo sure about this but in \includes\modules\pages\index\header_php.php lines 99-104 there is provision for a noindex to be added if certain conditions are met.

Check your settings for

Admin > Configuration > Layout Settings > Categories - Always Show on Main Page = 0
    Admin > Configuration > Layout Settings > Main Page - Opens with Category = [blank]

as I think an entry for a non-existent category might cause the issue.
    Simon

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by simon1066 View Post
    Not tooo sure about this but in \includes\modules\pages\index\header_php.php lines 99-104 there is provision for a noindex to be added if certain conditions are met.

Check your settings for

Admin > Configuration > Layout Settings > Categories - Always Show on Main Page = 0
    Admin > Configuration > Layout Settings > Main Page - Opens with Category = [blank]

as I think an entry for a non-existent category might cause the issue.
    Interrogating the home page with browser dev tools gives a 404 - this ties in with the code I referenced in header_php.php, so my uncertainty is looking less certain!

(especially as I have just replicated it in my ZC v1.5.8a install, using Always Show on Main Page = 1 & Opens with Category = 999 )
    Last edited by simon1066; 5 Sep 2023 at 09:04 AM.
    Simon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast